This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

AMC-6 is on the move...

907TECH,

If I researched the correct satellite, it
will be interesting to see what is to be done with a 20 year old satellite which is 5 years past it’s operating life.

John

High in the sky for me at 72W. Give us something new on Ku. Things are getting stale.

Added: AMC 6 website says 83W. Wiki says 72W. Lyngsat doesn't list. I guess we'll find out soon.

There's a swap going on. AMC-6 is moving from 83 °W to 139 °W and AMC-18 will move from 139 °W to 83 °W. Apparently, SES wants to modify the footprint of the satellite at 139 °W to include more of northern Canada, but needs a different satellite than AMC-18 to do so.

AMC-6 will only be used for C-band at 139 °W and AMC-18 only has a C-band payload, so unless something else is moved to 83 °W, there won't be any Ku traffic there.

The narrative filed with the FCC - https://licensing.fcc.gov/myibfs/download.do?attachment_key=2411746

Reactions: phlatwound
Hi All,

I guess SES has faith that 20 year old AMC 6 will be able to continue long past it’s retirement date which was 2015.
AMC 18 ain’t no spring chicken either. It’s retirement date is this year. I guess as long as both have enough propellant SES will give these old girls a chance to prove that age is just a number.

John

Reactions: 907TECH and FTA4PA
Well, aren't you a Debbie Downer today.

Well, if you don't like the news, keep in mind Ku-only Horizons 2 is supposed to be moving (back) to 74 °W by the end of the year. Whether or not there will be video there is unknown.

Hi All,

I guess SES has faith that 20 year old AMC 6 will be able to continue long past it’s retirement date which was 2015.

John

The license for AMC-6 was extended out to November of 2023 and I'm pretty sure I remember reading that there would be enough fuel to maintain geostationary orbit for a few years after that even. That satellite suffered a malfunction of its solar array several years ago which results in not all of the available transponders being usable simultaneously. I wonder if that is somehow a factor in how long that satellite is expected to last.

kofi123,

If it weren’t for the propellant issue, satellites could easily go 25-30 years or even longer barring a collision from a space object or a malfunction.
Amsat-Oscar7 is still operating. Was launched in 1974.

John

Reactions: FTA4PA
That is not the reason for the move, but it is part of the narrative.

Satbeams says 33.6 dBW signal in NM. If so, a 3m dish should receive. ARCS has a 5.5 dB C/N lock.

Added: Lyngsat says 40+dBW signal. If correct, should be receivable on a smaller C-band dish.

Sent from my SM-G950W using the SatelliteGuys app!
I find those C/N numbers curious, using commercial equipment we would have no chance to lock at 5.5db C/N. Link budget is usually around 17 db, with a fade margin of 5-6 db. When the operators uplink drops a few DB they get complaints from the villages on loss of video.