AMC-6 is on the move...

There's a swap going on. AMC-6 is moving from 83 °W to 139 °W and AMC-18 will move from 139 °W to 83 °W. Apparently, SES wants to modify the footprint of the satellite at 139 °W to include more of northern Canada, but needs a different satellite than AMC-18 to do so.

AMC-6 will only be used for C-band at 139 °W and AMC-18 only has a C-band payload, so unless something else is moved to 83 °W, there won't be any Ku traffic there.

The narrative filed with the FCC - https://licensing.fcc.gov/myibfs/download.do?attachment_key=2411746

Reactions: phlatwound
Hi All,

I guess SES has faith that 20 year old AMC 6 will be able to continue long past it’s retirement date which was 2015.
AMC 18 ain’t no spring chicken either. It’s retirement date is this year. I guess as long as both have enough propellant SES will give these old girls a chance to prove that age is just a number.

John

Reactions: 907TECH and FTA4PA
Well, aren't you a Debbie Downer today.

Well, if you don't like the news, keep in mind Ku-only Horizons 2 is supposed to be moving (back) to 74 °W by the end of the year. Whether or not there will be video there is unknown.

Hi All,

I guess SES has faith that 20 year old AMC 6 will be able to continue long past it’s retirement date which was 2015.

John

The license for AMC-6 was extended out to November of 2023 and I'm pretty sure I remember reading that there would be enough fuel to maintain geostationary orbit for a few years after that even. That satellite suffered a malfunction of its solar array several years ago which results in not all of the available transponders being usable simultaneously. I wonder if that is somehow a factor in how long that satellite is expected to last.

kofi123,

If it weren’t for the propellant issue, satellites could easily go 25-30 years or even longer barring a collision from a space object or a malfunction.
Amsat-Oscar7 is still operating. Was launched in 1974.

John

Reactions: FTA4PA
This is what SES is proposing for the maximum possible reception area for AMC-6 at 139 °W. The actual reception area will be smaller than this, but SES wants leeway from the FCC to be able to reorient the satellite's two spotbeams to anywhere within the area contoured in red.

amc6139.png

There's a swap going on. AMC-6 is moving from 83 °W to 139 °W and AMC-18 will move from 139 °W to 83 °W. Apparently, SES wants to modify the footprint of the satellite at 139 °W to include more of northern Canada, but needs a different satellite than AMC-18 to do so.

AMC-6 will only be used for C-band at 139 °W and AMC-18 only has a C-band payload, so unless something else is moved to 83 °W, there won't be any Ku traffic there.

The narrative filed with the FCC - https://licensing.fcc.gov/myibfs/download.do?attachment_key=2411746
That is not the reason for the move, but it is part of the narrative.

Satbeams says 33.6 dBW signal in NM. If so, a 3m dish should receive. ARCS has a 5.5 dB C/N lock.

Added: Lyngsat says 40+dBW signal. If correct, should be receivable on a smaller C-band dish.

Sent from my SM-G950W using the SatelliteGuys app!
I find those C/N numbers curious, using commercial equipment we would have no chance to lock at 5.5db C/N. Link budget is usually around 17 db, with a fade margin of 5-6 db. When the operators uplink drops a few DB they get complaints from the villages on loss of video.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)