AMC-8 and Galaxy-16

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

LibertyNT

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2016
Texoma
Has anyone here been able to see all the services available on AMC-8 and Galaxy 16? These satellites are the grandaddy of radio brosdcasting and I was wondering if any recievers were capable of "seeing" anything on this bird. Being a broadcaster by trade I'm mostly curious if anyone can hear what I can with the XDS and ICP recievers we use.

(Dallas Cowboys, Texas Longhorns, and all thing Cumulus are some of the services hosted on these)

Welcome to Satelliteguys!

I frequently listen to the various audio services on AMC 8 (139w). Occasionally tuning the PBS audio services on G-16 (99w). Most of the audio feeds are CCM, not encrypted and can be received with a regular DVBS S2 receiver. Audio services are sometimes not defined in the mux tables, but they can be tuned by manual APID entry. The PBS services on 99w are SCPC and very narrow bandwidth, so a PLL LNB(f) is necessary to tune. Many receivers do not lock transponders with symbol Rates below 1000, limited to the number of APIDs or the size of the BAT that can be logged in a mux or only tune CCM. Many of us use PC cards and USB tuners to listen to these services, but occasionally a receiver comes along that will lock and log these services. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm brand spankin' new to the FTA scene (and sattelites in general aside from programming broadcast recievers) so I'm looking forward to the challenge of unfamiliar territory! At the moment I'm using a geosatpro 90cm dish, have a X2 reciever on backorder with a Geniatech on the way and an XDS reciever waiting for a C-Band LNB. Naturally the radio station I engineer at has two 12 footers I can tap into for some extra fun. Be prepped for a ton of questions though lol! This isn't like the VHF systems I'm used to working on.

Talking with Cumulus the Radio Disney affiliates attempted to hit AMC-8 with the 3ft dishes with mixed results, mostly bad. Should be a fun challenge!

The next project will be converting a 6foot Wireless Internet dish for sat use.

Can anyone tell me a currently active transponder on AMC8. This satellite is 12 degrees low and hard for me to see, so I would like to make sure I am using an active signal to try to aim at.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts