AMC HD on...

Back in the days, AMC was one of the true gems. Clean prints, uncut, no commercials, and a host who introduced each feature. If I remember correctly they claimed to "respect the movies". I remember Saturday mornings with my kids watching Betty Boop cartoons and Popular Science shorts. The closest thing now is TCM.

Once the commercials and hacked up prints came, they were dropped from my favorites list.

I was thinking the same thing... I still have some movies from AMC recorded on VHS where the movie is introduced by a guy in a reading room/library where he talks about the movie, actors, and some history about the film. I loved that, but when they started adding commercials and dropped the intro I lost interest. AMC was definitely a gem in its prime, but as most channels it's become over commercialized.

Sam

I was thinking the same thing... I still have some movies from AMC recorded on VHS where the movie is introduced by a guy in a reading room/library where he talks about the movie, actors, and some history about the film. I loved that, but when they started adding commercials and dropped the intro I lost interest. AMC was definitely a gem in its prime, but as most channels it's become over commercialized.

Sam

Sometimes I think back to when cable first came to the nortwest suburbs of Chicago, back in the late 70's. Back then the big deal was that "there are no commercials" on cable shows. Now not only are there commercials on cable channels, but they show commercials for other cable channels! At least when we just had broadcast TV you never seen a commercial for CBS on ABC.

Ghpr13:)

Sam

There were three people who introduced the shows, Bob Dorian, Gene Klavan, and Nick Clooney. You might know Nick's son as well, George Clooney.

I have a D300 aimed at 61.5 and a D500 aimed at 110/119.
I'm not willing to sacrifice the 61.5, as it has local Boston HD channels.

If I want AMC HD, I think I need to see the 72.7 or 129.
Not that AMC HD, alone, is worth changing out my hardware, but which dish would I replace? And with what?

If all your receivers are VIP's I think you could just repoint the D500 to 61.5 / 72.7, and the D300 to 77°. Won't work with any of the older MPEG2 receivers though.

According to Wikipedia, AMC added commercials almost 8 years ago:

On September 30, 2002, AMC changed its format from a classic movie channel to a more general movie channel, airing movies from all eras, with the majority of pre-1970 movies airing in late nights, mornings, and early afternoons. Kate McEnroe, then president of AMC Networks, cited lack of cable-operator subsidies as the reason for the addition of advertising, and cited ad agencies who insist on programming relevant to their products' consumers as the reason for the shift to recent movies instead of classics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_(TV_channel)

My satellites are 119, 110, and 61.5. However AMC HD does not show up even on the 'All Channels' guide. I do see an AMC 130 without an HD with a green color in the 'All Channels' guide. My subscription is HDAbsolute. Wondering why I do not see this? Thanks.

My satellites are 119, 110, and 61.5. However AMC HD does not show up even on the 'All Channels' guide. I do see an AMC 130 without an HD with a green color in the 'All Channels' guide. My subscription is HDAbsolute. Wondering why I do not see this? Thanks.

AMC-HD is located on 72.7 and 129, that's why you don't see them. You need to change your dish configuration.

I know they have commercials, but do they edit the movies?

Any channel with advertising edits the movies. Not because they legally have to, but because they don't want to upset their money source. If AMC aired Basic Instinct unedited with the p*scene, it would really upset advertisers. They don't want to lose Johnson and Johnson and other family oriented advertisers.

It isn't like OTA broadcasts where the FCC has rules they must follow. They are just doing what the advertisers want them to do.

But seriously, with all the choices for movies, who watches advertiser based movies anymore?

There are premium channels, Netflix, borrowed DVD/Bluray's from friends, $1 DVD bins at Big Lots and Dollar General. Heck, many public libraries have a huge selection of FREEE DVDs you can check out. Then there is Redbox. THere are just way too many sources for movies to waste time on an ad based channel. Last week an old friend of mine told me No Country for Old Men was on Spike. OK, great. I own the Bluray and have seen it a dozen times, but maybe I'll sit and watch it on Spike and sit through the commercials.

It just doesn't make sense these days.

I have been loud and vocal about wanting AMC HD on all kinds of websites. My reasoning is 100% their original programming.

Breaking Bad and Mad Men are both top notch WONDERFUL shows! Rubicon is good so far.

I am glad I recently went back to BHN in my house. Between AMCHD and all the HBO/MAX channels in HD, it makes a huge difference!

Wasn't AMC commercial free at one time? Years ago, I remember visiting my uncle, and I do not remember it showing commercials. When he had it, it seemed wonderful. Then, when our local cable company added it, it did not seem as great with commercials. I know that some people like the series on AMC, though. Anyway, it is nice to see another HD channel. Maybe IFC and some of the other Rainbow channels like IFC will become available in HD.

They had a press release about this. They shortened the name to AMC (sort of like Kentucky Fried Chicken to KFC) and made a commitment to start airing more modern movies. Modern movies cost more than 1940's films so they had to become advertiser based. It was strictly a business decision that probably makes sense if you look at their numbers.

The good news is that we still have TCM with its rich library of classics. At 35 I love the old movies that I might otherwise never see.

If I am not mistaken AMC did start a spin off after the change that went back to its roots and showed commercial free classics (Sort of like MTV launching MTV2) but it didn't take off and was later turned off..

I have absolute and am pointed at 110, 119 & 2nd dish at 129. I see AMC-SD but I do NOT see AMC-HD anywhere in the guide. :(
Just figured that this was another channel that I could not receive in HD, but it is not even in the guide in RED. :confused:
Oh well...

But even if it wasn't available, it still should show up in the guide.

The channel guide for 129 is a bit confusing.
One line says its available on transponder 31 but right below that it says the same thing but not available.

It won't be in the guide if it is not part of your subscription level. Dish doesn't need you to call them to turn it on when it is red in your guide but not available to you.

Not on my satellite tv guide, I was talking about the satellite guide for 129 on this website.
It say's that its available and then right below it it say's it not available.

As for the guide on the 722? If you put it on all channels it will show every station that is being received by the receiver, be it in your package or not.

I can get every channel listed on this sites guide for 129 except for AMC HD.

Not sure about the other recievers but with the 722 I can see every channel being broadcast on 110,119 and 129 just by hitting the guide button 3 times.

If its listed in green on my guide, then I can upgrade or purchase it with the push of a button. But if it's listed in red, It says to call an 800 number and upgrade my package.

Not sure about the other recievers but with the 722 I can see every channel being broadcast on 110,119 and 129 just by hitting the guide button 3 times.

I bet you can't. One of the bits of data carried in the channel map is whether a channel appears in the guide of non-subscribers or not. For example, you don't see local channels you're not eligible for even if you're in their beam. I don't think you see everyone's RSNs either. As for national channels you don't subscribe to, they may or may not be set to visible. Most of them are visible, yes, but there's no guarantee that they are. Dish has been known to screw up when authorizing new channels. (Sometimes they don't even appear automatically for the people who are SUPPOSED to be getting them.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)