AMC21 Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dennise

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 26, 2008
In California's San Bernardino mountains, I can get 12 channels on AMC21. Of these, four are a mystery to me and I wonder if anyone can explain the reason for their behavior. I use a Pansat 3500 SD, 36" Fortec motorized dish and a the 'quad' Incavom LNB.

When initially selected, all four of these (unknown program) channels supply about a 1 sec burst of audio, no video and then I get the scrambled or bad channel message. My STB reports all of these as 'Free" channels. The quality ranges between 40% and 70%. Here are the channels as reported by my Pansat 3500SD:

TV3 12149H Q=40%
TV3 12141V Q=55%
TV4 12141V Q=55%
TV3 12181V Q=70%

The other eight channels (mix of H and V polarizations), don't do this but many are often only test patterns.

Why do the above four channels blast one second of program audio, no video and then go SOBC, when my STB reports these as "free" channels?

I have no trouble on other birds with both H and V channels.

PS My real goal is Montana PBS which I can get OK on 12103V (on AMC21), but only during the day. In the evening, the quality goes down below 30% and is unwatchable.

Suggestions?:confused:

HD channels need a HD receiver for them.
Bob

So are you saying that:

TV3 12149H;
TV3 12141V;
TV4 12141V;
and
TV3 12181V

are actually AMC21 HD chnnels? I'm puzzled that none of these freqs appear in LyngSat?? Can you tell me how non HD STBs (my PAnsat 3500Sd is a non HD STB) behave when tuned to an HD channel? Is SOBC (with good quality) the only clue that the channel is HD?

Different SD receivers often behave differently when encountering an HD channel. My Visionsat displays "Service Error", with no audio. It will, however, record the HD stream with its PVR function. When encountering a 4:2:2 signal, audio can be heard but no video.

My 3500 does the same thing on some HD channels. Sometimes Dolby audio will come through fine but no picture, depends how the channel is set up.
-C.

Different SD receivers often behave differently when encountering an HD channel. My Visionsat displays "Service Error", with no audio. It will, however, record the HD stream with its PVR function. When encountering a 4:2:2 signal, audio can be heard but no video.

My CNX Mini (SD receiver) displays "HD Stream" on screen but I can sometimes hear the audio. weird I know, The Fortec Boxes will lock up if it stays on a HD channel too long, it try's to display the picture.

I remember my Coolsat 6000 Premiums would just hose on the first possible sight of a HD scan!

I too can record the stream on the Mini using PVR, too bad it can not be converted after saving the recorded content via PC and some software! Maybe it can, I never looked into it. :confused:

Next piece of gear for The B-Man is an HD STB to play with! I can hope that E* gets the N3 going in high gear soon to drop those prices on the equipment!

A waiting game, I have some time! :)

K E V I N
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts