AMP question

Madtown HD Junkie

Occasional Supreme Being
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 3, 2004
Madison, WI
I want to add an amp to my stereo. I have a Denon Receiver. klipsch speakers (6) with no sub right now.
I am looking to get the "buttery" smooth sounds.

any thoughts?

So you are finding the 125w x 6 is too little?

How many channels do you want to amplify; all 6?

What budget?

What is your planned method of connecting an outboard amp to a typical H/T receiver? I do not see any out jacks on this model?

"Buttery sound" of music or multi-channel audio? Are you just not satisfied with the quality of your sound?

Also, an AMP with only amplify what sound you feed it, not improve the sound? So maybe a new quality H/T receiver or a switch to a top "separates" system.

What is your room size and construction type?

Last edited:
I want to add an amp to my stereo. I have a Denon Receiver. klipsch speakers (6) with no sub right now.
I am looking to get the "buttery" smooth sounds.

any thoughts?

I'm not sure if you can ever get a "buttery smooth" sound from a Klipsch speaker that has horns. They are, to me, much too bright. They sure are efficient, though. It doesn't take alot of wattage to make them play LOUD! I had a pair of KG4's back in the 80's (yup, I am old!). I traded them in for a pair of EV Interface a's, much smoother than the Klipsch's.

I don't want to open up a huge can of worms here but any decent amp. not driven into clipping (distortion) can sound buttery smooth with the right input source and the right speakers. I really don't have any first hand experience with Klipsch speakers although what I know of horns is that they are anything but "buttery smooth". Efficient, yes.......smooth, no.

I was hoping to improve on the quality of sound with the amp. I am happy with the receiver but when I turn it all hte way up I want more! When wife and kids r gone I throw on the 360 and put in Gears of War, close the blinds, and turn it all the way up. Also music does not get concert loud though sounds good. I got the old kg2's off ebay for 185 including shipping and they r cherry. They were first speakers i bought way back and had to sell in college. Always loved the passive sub on them to get the added base without the true sub.

suggestions on what would be a good upgrade for a HT rec?

ty and sorry for tardy responses. :eek:

I think unless you go with a hugely larger amplifier (power wise) you won't get a really big difference. The Denon amps are pretty robust and deliver at least their rated power........good clean clear power. As far as sound quality goes, it is one of the amps at the top of my list.

I have the Denon AVR 4306 (130 wpc) and Klipsch Chorus II/Academy/RS-7/Quartet/Academy 7.1 setup using the RS-7s and Quartet as A/B side and rear surrounds. I compared the on board amps in the Denon against my Pioneer M-90 200 wpc and 3 Onkyo M-504 165 wpc amps. I found the best sound to be when using the Pioneer to drive the left and right mains and the Onkyos pushing the rest. Can't really tell that much of a change in movie surround mode but in 2 channel stereo the Pioneer sounds much smoother where the bottom and mid reach up to meet the high horn. I have a little DBX range expansion and eq plumbed in between the Denon and Pioneer that thru use of the 12 volt triggers comes on line when in stereo mode to help with some room issues.

decided to get a sub and purchased a klipsch 10".....took 2 pictures off the war playing Gears of war. needless to say I am no longer in need of an amp. (o:

decided to get a sub and purchased a klipsch 10".....took 2 pictures off the war playing Gears of war. needless to say I am no longer in need of an amp. (o:

LOL that was EXACTLY what I was going to suggest! Take the extreme bass load off the main speakers, give it to the sub where it belongs and the other speakers will come to life! All the deep bass stress is releived and they can then reproduce the frequencies they were truly designed for: above 75hz! with much mnore authority.

This will relieve your amp as well, letting it play louder without bass-induced clipping. Be sure to set up your Denon's bass management to maximize the new sub and match speaker sizes, and congrats!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)