Amplifier question

Brian M3

Original poster
Feb 28, 2021
Northern Indiana
I am working on an antenna setup and switching a few things around. I have a couple old Radio shack antenna amplifiers. 15-1113b. 20 db inline amps. These are old amps. Strange both act the same way. I am getting a signal strength on the TV, on several channels about 50%. (TV signal strength meter) When I connect the amplifier the signal strength drops very low. The more I decrease the amp, the more the signal increases. Both amps do the same. With the amps turned all the way up I get a TV signal strength 10% and with the amps turned all the way down I have about 40-45%. A slight bit less than without the amp. Locals get weaker, distant stations drop to nothing. (If I unplug the amp I get pretty much no signal)

Are these amps bad? I do not think they are over driving. Stations are weak to fair to begin with.

I am also using an amplified splitter for 4 TVs. It does the same whether before the splitter or if I bypass the splitter and go straight from the antenna to one TV.

The item you linked to is not the same item as asked about above. The 15-1112b was a cable amplifier for analog cable. The 15-1113b was a UHF/VHF/FM amp but not a pre-amp
s-l1600.jpg

Yep, That is what I have the chrome box. One of mine is listed as a 15-1113 and the other is a 15-1113b. Both look and act the same. I already have a pre amp ordered. Just thought one of these would make the signal better not worse.

I had to look up the 15-1112. It is a black box. Cable only.

The difference between the 15-1113 and the B was the name switch from Archer to Radio Shack. The specs stayed the same.

Usually a sign one or more of the transistors has borked inside.
If you get higher strength with lower gain settings. Almost definitely.
Or the power supply circuit inside has failed in some way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts