Amusing/odd behavior from 622 & 722

120inna55

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Athens, Texas, United States
For several months, I've noticed that at 5:12 every morning, my 622 switches to channel 101 on its own.

I'm pretty regimented in my morning routine. Around midnight, I tune the 622 to 005-00 (KXAS, my local NBC affiliate) so that when I turn on the TV in the morning, it'll already be on the channel I like for my morning news. I wake up at 5:00. I turn on the TV & 622 at 5:02 and the receiver is obviously on channel 5. While I'm in the restroom brushing my teeth, I listen to the news. At 5:12, I hear the channel 101 loop. It's easy enough to resolve. I can even hit recall to bring it back to channel 5, or manually dial it in, or navigate to it via the guide. For the remainder of the day, no problems.

I'd just assumed that this behavior was a nuisance bug since several software versions have passed. I figured it had something to do with the program guide update and subsequent reboot at 3:00 a.m. I'd also assumed it had something to do with elapsed time since turning on the receiver. As opposed to being related to 5:12 a.m. Perhaps it does it 10 minutes after being turned on for the first time every morning? Perhaps it has something to do with channel 005-00 itself?

On weekends, I'm not so regimented, so I haven't been able to determine if it's repeated....until this morning...

On Friday nights, I go to sleep watching the 722 (as opposed to the 622). I don't turn off the receiver at midnight, but rather it shuts itself down due to inactivity while I'm sleeping. This morning, I woke earlier than usual and turned on the TV/receiver at 4:50 a.m. This time I was using the 722. This time I was watching a different channel (HDNET)---in fact I'd surfed a little bit, even swapping tuners, until settling on HDNET.

While making my coffee at 5:12 a.m. on the nose, the channel switches to channel 101. WTF???

The variables:
  • It happened on a different receiver (722)
  • It happened from a different channel
  • It happened after interacting with the receiver (changing channels) before it automatically switched
  • It happened after swapping tuners

Both receivers are going to the same TV. I'm using a DP33. I have a Dish 500 with DP twin pointed at 110/119 and a Dish 500 with DP single pointed at 61.5 (as has been my configuration for years).

It seems this is probably related to my switch, but I find it odd that it only happens at 5:12 a.m.

My closest neighbor is more than 300 yards away and obscured by thick forest.

Sounds like an auto-tune timer event is set for channel 101 at 5:12am. Press your DVR button 3 times and see if you have a timer for that event.

Happens on my 622 as well although not in a set pattern like that. More of a random affair. We were watching the news and went downstairs to make dinner. When we came back upstairs, the 622 had changed to 101 by itself...

Frustrating since we can't rewind the live feed to see what we missed on the channel it had been on.

Not as bad as one of my 722s. It will often stop recording at 4:12AM MT (equivalent to your time). It says I stopped it but I didn't. I have odd remote addresses, and distant sleeping neighbors. It's done it often but not every time. So what is magic about that time? [I use a DPP44 and it is set in single mode and has an oldish R0086... receiver ID and a few troubles with CC. No other users. What else?]
-Ken

Had my recordings stop on both 722s at 4:12 and 4:11 AM MST on the same recording on 1/30, so it's hard to blame just one machine. Both said stopped by user 1 on 5-Max but I had given up for the night.

Had another stop at a random time so something more is going on. Is it possible a power-line glitch hits it or the sat does something? If it is the sat, you would think others would have reported it, like the initial post. It was my chance to get a better-than-TCM HD copy of Harvey, the Pooka(sp?), given it only shows a couple of times a year.

Trying to check the time, it went into accessing the guide--several times. Rapidly for the first part and then slowing to a crawl before repeating. Looks like this will take more than the quoted five minutes. Well I going to have to stop it. Did and check signal strength on TP19 61.5=50 110=53 119=54 129=30 but 148=54(wrong sat E* 119, weird). Full guide incl. 387=CI, even with stop.

-Ken

Let me see. Both units are in single mode, probably have the Output #2 remote set on the same frequency and someone nearby is using a UHF remote to change the channel.

Try changing the frequency of the TV2 output on both units.

All 4 remotes are on different settings--set by (a-forced-on-me) installer of the second 722 (replacing a working, wired, and now grave-yarded 921) to double digits for UHF. And the 622 differs, too. It's at a largely repeatable time that hardly anyone would be up, even I, on most AM's.
The refurb has been doing new reboot/guide loops long after the reset. Might be associated with 129 changes although a number of my channels are coming off 61.5 today, but why?
All this for what it's worth--not much.
-Ken

Did anything come of this? We see this on all of our receivers. It has gotten worse. Now recordings are being clipped to change to channel 101.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts