An Apology to the FTA Community

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FeedMan

Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
USA
Hello FTA Universe:

I owe each and every one of you a apology. I work overnights and a lot of times during the night we watch "feeds" of shows to pass the time. I found "Rick's Satellite Board" when googling. I saw they had a post for advance feeds of network shows. So I decided to post the feeds we have found thinking they would be no harm and help some others. BIG MISTAKE!!

Less than 2 weeks later the feeds were encrypted! I contacted CBS (Have working relationship with them) and they notified me they encrypted them because their feeds were posted at "Rick's Satellite Board" I nearly had a heart attack! I felt like the biggest loser and jerk in the world! I posted on Rick's about the reasoning and a apology, at first my post was edited to make it say something I did not, then later deleted! I am so outraged at this!! There was also a "Thank You" post from the site owner which also disappeared!

I found this forum and it seems really busy so I thought I would post my apology here, I am really sorry about posting the feeds on that board as I later found out it resulted in encryption for those feeds. Please accept my apology! If this is not the proper place to post this then I am sorry!

FeedMan

Thank YOU for being stand-up about it. We've been fighting this problem for years now. If you didn't know, you didn't know. :)

Oh, and BTW, a LOT of us have had posts deleted and been banned over there. Including me. Consider it a badge of honor. :D

Could it be any more plain to see now, for that "other board", what posting some of these feeds will get us?

Hello FTA Universe:

I contacted CBS (Have working relationship with them) and they notified me they encrypted them because their feeds were posted at "Rick's Satellite Board"

That and they are also responsible for losing the NASCAR and College FB feeds as well. And they know "who" they are ... yea you! (ps: not u feedman)

It was the network's own stupidity for thinking they would never be discovered, and then freaking out when they were.

If there were just a few folks that knew where to find the programs - then the networks wouldn't worry.
But when it is published for the world to see - they have to encrypt.
To bad some folks spoil it for the rest - one bad apple (Rick's) ruins the whole barrel.:rant::facepalm

That took a lot of guts, Feedman. I, myself started with Rick's equipment. And I've posted there over the years. I don't know 100% if posting causes encryption. But after several examples of this happening, I can tell you this: I don't need to be 100% sure that posting has caused encryption. I just need to know that there could be a CHANCE that this is what's causing encryption. That's all the proof I need to quit posting there.

Last edited:
Thanks, Feedman, for your post. There are two schools of thought regarding the posting of feeds... One is that the public posting of feeds has no bearing on encryption. The other, which we here at SatelliteGuys adhere to (and I personally agree with) is that it can directly lead to encryption decisions. I know there are some members reading this that will disagree, but in this case, the result is plain to see. Considering the fact that blind scan receivers are widely available, and that private messages which cannot be read by network "bean counters" can be easily sent on forums, there is no good that can come from the public posting of feeds.

Theres proof. But Rick and his followers thinks that don't happen. I have been saying for years that posting on places in open area's are no good. Lately I don't even want to post my finds in closed area's after seeing stuff taken from there and posted on Ricks. But Rick and his rangers will never learn till there is nothing left.

I am really skeptical of the first post in this thread. I've seen the other thread on this topic and understand it is a heated issue for a lot of people. This poster has one post at the moment and this is it. The whole story seems a little too convenient and complete. I'm guessing that this feedman ID matches the ip address of someone else here who is a regular and they like to tells stories.

I have no axe to grind here. I don't post anything at Ricks. I don't think I even have an account there.

For those of you telling everyone not to post anything at Ricks, have you boycotted the site altogether, stopped going there, or are you still looking there for feeds you may have missed? Think about that.

Oh, yeah. Welcome to satelliteguys feedman.

I am really skeptical of the first post in this thread. I've seen the other thread on this topic and understand it is a heated issue for a lot of people. This poster has one post at the moment and this is it. The whole story seems a little too convenient and complete. I'm guessing that this feedman ID matches the ip address of someone else here who is a regular and they like to tells stories.

I have no axe to grind here. I don't post anything at Ricks. I don't think I even have an account there.

For those of you telling everyone not to post anything at Ricks, have you boycotted the site altogether, stopped going there, or are you still looking there for feeds you may have missed? Think about that.

I think that the mods here are smart enough to figer out if the one in
question has another user account here.
also i myshelf have no account at Rick and never will. i don`t see no
one here saying not go to Rick or any other sight.
Just to beware of the agenda of what gets feeds encrypted. JMO

I am not skeptical of him. I personally watched those feeds, saw his posts at Ricks, and watched them get changed, and then deleted. And I ain't the only one.

And yep, still go there, if nothing else for the sheer entertainment value of a bunch of guys that are clearly delusional, because they are scared to death of the truth, and WILL ride the freedom train right into the wall. Remember, the band on the deck of the Titanic played while the ship sank. :)

But you know what, its really a waste of time. There isn't a damn thing we can do about him and his merry band of hobby wreckers, except try and get the truth out and let the chips fall where they may.

Although, I do admit, it is fun to point out the hypocrisy, that a board that constantly trumpets freedom, deletes posts and bans people for posting what amounts to their opinions. :cool:

I am really skeptical of the first post in this thread..... The whole story seems a little too convenient and complete.QUOTE]

Whether we know 100% that posting = encrytion... PRUDENCE DEMANDS US TO ERR ON THE SIDE OF SAFETY!!!!!!! This is a genuine no-brainer. DON'T OPENLY POST WHAT'S NOT OPENLY POSTED ALREADY!!! Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but we need to understand that sometimes even our most closely-held opinions are... dare I say it.... WRONG.! We don't even need "proof" in this matter, just the possibility of encryption is enough. I understand the argument of those who say it's OK to openly post, I understand that they don't think this leads to encryption, but these same folks won't post their name, social security number, and birthdate on line because they know very well openly posting these items leads to identity theft. Again, a no-brainer.
ss

Last edited:
For those of you wondering here are his posts from Ricks. (Notice one has been removed... must be that first amendment stuff that Rick is always shouting about over there. :))

I am wondering if he is banned there now.

And I also checked his IP address, and he is not some other member just postiung under a dfferent name.

I have said it before and I will say it again this problem could be fixed easily if Rick just required people to log in to view the feeds posts I have no problem with people posting feeds as long as it can't be indexed. By having it in the clear with no login gets these great feeds indexed. Any TV exec with half a brain uses Google Alerts to monitor their properties and when the bean counters see these things pop up they ride on engineering ass to scramble these feeds to protect their interests.

Its sad to me that Rick don't care that he is killing this hobby. As long as hes making sales hes happy. He acts like hes a friend to the FTA community when hes its own worst enemy.

If he wants to keep feeds open then he needs to make it so you must be registered to see the feeds. But if he is just money grubbing scum then he will just keep it open like it is now and kill this hobby for all of us.

Follow the money trail folks...

Well this should be a wake up call to Rick! But if he just banned the guy and deleted the posts, then he is in denial. I have browsed over there if I'm real bored...don't have an account there, and I wouldn't buy a thing from him if he sold it to me half price lol....Blind

I am a newbie member at Ricks but don't know the site well.I posted this thread starter's post over there to see what happens to it.If it is changed in any way,I will try to rectify it,if I am able to.I loathe two-faced indivudals and want no part of that kind of site,if true.If nothing happens to that post,then 'the jury's still out'.My experience over there is very limited.(My C band 'experience' is still pending,waiting for my DMX).
(I did see a post by him stating that someone from this site actually threatened his life!!)??

I am a newbie member at Ricks but don't know the site well.I posted this thread starter's post over there to see what happens to it.If it is changed in any way,I will try to rectify it,if I am able to.I loathe two-faced indivudals and want no part of that kind of site,if true.If nothing happens to that post,then 'the jury's still out'.My experience over there is very limited.(My C band 'experience' is still pending,waiting for my DMX).
(I did see a post by him stating that someone from this site actually threatened his life!!)??
I don't see your post over there. Looks like it went *POOF* already.

Role of mods over there?

This was posted immediately above my post ,which wasn't changed.(I am making this my last response to this issue because I don't feel,as yet,that I have nearly enough facts to make a puplic opinion.Time will tell.):
" 06/13/09 at 12:10 PM Reply with quote #1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Comment has been made about Unfavorable Posts being deleted in this forum.

I have no Problem with posts being made about issues with a receiver. I have gone out of my way to point out any and all Pros and Cons of any receivers that I sell. I want folks to know the Ups and Downs of the various units that I and others sell.

My Moderators have been given the right to Edit or Delete posts as they see fit to maintain high standards in this forum and I back them up 100%

If someone has an issue with a post being removed or edited, then take it up with me and I will find out the reason why.

I will continue to run the forum as I see fit and will do my best to maintain it as a Friendly and Informative place to visit and learn about Free To Air Satellite.

Thanks,

Rick Caylor
Ricks Satellite"

I will just ask,'could it have been caused by an overzealous mod?'I know it's only a possibility.

I don't see your post over there. Looks like it went *POOF* already.
Scot it's in 'Off Topic Discussion'.......is what I was going to reply.That 2-faced dictator blocked me from posting.I'd like to tell him face-'2-face',
what I think of him!(pun intended)Since he personally made the post "Posting in the forum".I would like to add that I used no trace of profanity there either.I'm starting to think he's dillusional.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)