Free Shipping?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

elliswr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 26, 2009
Texas
What's the word on World Wide Satellites? Are they legit and prompt? They offer free shipping on orders over $100. With that, I could finally give my newly aquired 9200 HD a purpose!

Has anyone had any experience with them?

Never heard of 'em. We have some nice people selling equipment here as sponsors, check the top of the pages. I would suggest shopping with them , if they have what you're looking for. Free shipping is like everything else, you're paying for it one way or another.

elliswr,
If you're thinking about buying the 1.2m dish from them, it says "local pickup only", they won't ship it, costs too much. I once called a company to purchase a 1.2m, and when they calculated the shipping cost, it was more than the cost of the dish. Fortunately, I have since scrounged 5 1.2m P* dishes, which in my opinion are superior to stamped steel dishes, although their sheer weight will make a motor grunt.
ss ><>

says they're in Mississauga, ON
Also noticed they do have some questionable items there...most LNB's are DBS related as example

GTA is the Canadian office/distributor of WWS. my experience dealing with GTA electronics was so-so. back in early 2010 when i got into FTA i needed a good solid metal ku dish and a good USALS motor. no-one in my city had any so i drove to Mississauga and bought the Winegard 1-m dish and STAB HH-120 motor. got them home and found out that the wineguard dish mount is too big for the Stab HH-120 motor shaft. obviously the girl at the counter didn't know. so i opened a ticket with WWS to complain that nobody told me that the 2 units were incompatible. the ticket was never replied to by WWS or GTA not even to apologize for my inconvenience. so make damn sure YOU know before hand that your parts fit together. it's a long way from texas to mississauga!

So I had already ordered from WS before receiving the great advice given here, but the have just now emailed me to tell me that are sold out of the 36" dish. So I cancelled the order.

Now I have another question prior to ordering from GM, I would still like to avoid the shipping cost, if possible. I am currently in Thailand on holiday and see the True Visions & DTV dishes everywhere, even advertised at a local shop for about 3,000 ?. Has anyone ever tried taking a dish on a plane and checking it as luggage?

Thanks again

I just received a Fortec 90 (36") from them today. It is sold as having a 'Pole Diameter Acceptable' dimension of 38 mm to 65 mm (1.5" to 2.5"). It doesn't... even though technical support confirmed HH120 compatibility on a support ticket. It has a dedicated 42mm that will need to be modified for use on a HH120.

I have purchased two items from them over the Internet recently; the shipping and handling have been exemplary and the prices for these items were the best I found in Canada.

The jury is out on technical support until they get back to me tonight about the Fortec dish. I will report back. In all fairness many sites selling that dish continue to publish the same incorrect numbers intended for a different model.

I did not receive the followup email from World Wide Satellite I was told to expect yesterday in a response on a support ticket. It appears to me they are just another retailer buying and selling product with scant little FTA knowledge or experience with the technology. Sometimes you have to open the box to know what it contains; it also helps when you install it.

This really demonstrates the value of buying from sponsors on this site. Their knowledge so evident in the forums will be equally assured when purchasing product. If only customs, duty and shipping were not such obstacles for some items being sent to Canada.

So, bottom line, I will avoid WWS...unless I want a well-priced potentially unsuitable item in a hurry. Pricing and shipping are great.

Last edited:
I hear ya on the email. Many times I have contacted a retailer [not fta] with questions about their product, intending to purchase if I got answers. It seems retailers only use websites as an income stream; as long as you want to buy, you're OK; if you have a question then you are obviously a potential problem to be avoided. Makes you wonder why they have the "Contact Us" button on their website.
Definitely stick with sponsors and maybe a few reliable suppliers you have done business with in the past, who have proven themselves reliable. I have also noticed that in the past, SatAV and GM [maybe others I haven't noticed] have answered complaint posts by someone who didn't have enough common sense to directly contact them with their problem. I like that kind of proactive customer support, and it doesn't go unnoticed.
ss ><>

Has anyone ever tried taking a dish on a plane and checking it as luggage?

Thanks again

With the sharp edges and hardware associated with dishes and mounts, I doubt you would be able to get it through security as carry on luggage. I don't think I'd even try, as you could potentially lose your dish if they try to confiscate it.

says they're in Mississauga, ON
Also noticed they do have some questionable items there...most LNB's are DBS related as example

Your suspicion is correct. The main market for World Wide Satellites is satellite piracy like most satellite stores in Canada. They only carry a few non-piracy items as an attempt to cover themselves up legally. They even offer "trade-in" prices for their current hacker boxes where customers can save $10 when trading any non-working hack box. However, the authorities are not stupid and from what i've heard, World Wide Satellites has been recently served with a lawsuit from Bell TV and Dish Network. They will most likely continue business as usual until they lose in court and then quickly shut down operations so buyer beware. We should avoid buying anything from these stores as it indirectly supports the pirate economy.

The only satellite store in the Toronto area catering specifically to the legal FTA market that I'm aware of is Dr. Sat from Oakville. Their website is Dr. Sat - Satellite dish installation in Southern Ontario

Last edited:
SatelliteAV maintains a distribution center in Trenton, Ontario that stocks many of our items for delivery within Canada. We do stock our GEOSATpro 90cm & 1.2M dishes, DVR110c and DSR200c receiver and SL1 LNBFs. You may view the available retail items that are stocked at our Canadian distributor at http://canada.glorystar.tv

The 90cm ships to any urban address for $45CA. 1.2M dish shipping cost widely varies and is provided with a shipping quote.

Okay, so not going to be bringing a dish back from Thailand, and not buying from WWS. Instead I will purchase a dish from one of the site sponsors. Here's the question now: what dish and motor combo would you recommend for roof installation in north Texas where high winds and hail are common annual problems?

I was thinking of a 90cm dish with multiple support arms, but I want to make sure that I get a compatible dish/motor set.

Thanks,
Wes

Try gosatellite.com Free shipping until December 5, 2010. They are selling pansat 4500 with pansat motor pansat motor pansat LNBF and, Pansat 36" 90 Degree Offset dish. I think that they are selling them for $ 369.00 USD and they have had my things at my house in a week.

perazzimx15l said:
Try -----.com

Why promote a site that isn't a site sponsor, questionable hack shop and has a history PF poor customer support? The site sponsors have great customer support, not involved in promotion of theft of services and provide some great products....

May I suggest a GEOSATpro 90cm and a WSI motor SG9120b?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great advice! I finally settled on a GeosatPro 90cm dish and lnb from SatelliteAV. The great holiday discount really helped out a lot, thanks to the guys over at SatelliteAV.

I didn't find a SG9120 there, but I was able to find it at a good price and decent shipping over at GalaxyMarketing. All in all, it only ended up being about $50 more than the free shipping order from that other site. Well worth the comfort of knowing that if I have a problem or question, it will be resolved in short order.

Thanks again,
Wes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts