An Apology to the FTA Community

Status
Please reply by conversation.

brentb636

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 24, 2006
5 miles N of Saugatuck, Mi
Something to consider about CBS and others saying they encrypted signals because of ITC postings on Ricks - of course they would say that. If they actually gain their information by logging on private forums, they have to protect their methods and procedures, making Ricks a handy diversion.

And if Ricks does require logging in, what would you do about the "Other" site that provides ITC wildfeed postings without logging in? In the big picture of things, nothing would have changed.
I suppose we could respectfully go to "that other site" and request they require some sort of security to protect feed information, for the continuation of our hobby. One site at a time.
:)

stanleyjohn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 25, 2010
south/central Ct,USA
It does look like Rick sees it as not a problem on his side.Im glad that he didnt just ban me and brent for speaking up.The only thing i will do now is pray that someday rick will just sacrifice alittle to keep peace in the FTA family.:(

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Wow this thread has gotten attention. Tonight I got invited to appear on a nationally syndicated technology talk show to talk about this matter. (I am told that the host is in FTA)

I declined however at this time as I don't want to expose this more then it already is.

What I don't get about all of this is why some FTA folks are not for protecting what we have and are against this, its such a simple thing to do and not matter what its good for all of us.

I will tell you this (remember I said I like Rick site, it contains some great info) if Rick does this I have no problem recommending his site to others for info. Hell I can't tell you how many people I recommended get their AZbox from him since they came out. If we want to prolong the enjoyment of our hobby (and for some of us this is the only TV we can get without spending an arm and a leg) then we ALL need to stand together to safeguard the gems of information that are shared... and when I say ALL this includes Rick as well.

This is a hobby we ALL love, we should want to protect it together.

stargaze

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 14, 2010
Out there somewhere
Something to consider about CBS and others saying they encrypted signals because of ITC postings on Ricks - of course they would say that. If they actually gain their information by logging on private forums, they have to protect their methods and procedures, making Ricks a handy diversion.

Your missing the point we are trying to make.:
As it stands right now, you post something on the internet and the Google Bots grab it and then anyone typing in any of those words in a search engine now sees what was posted.
In this case, CBS FTA NCIS now this gets back to the network. The network is not necessarily going to that forum they see the search engine Bots. This is how they know where the info is posted.
When they see it they decide to encrypt their signal. Why? well it was not in their face before, now it is.
If the login stops the search engine bots then the problem may go away.
The networks did not care when the printed satellite mags had a listing of feeds in them, they did not care when the internet first started and there was no such thing as google and the feeds were put out in the satellite newsgroup, but having it in their face on a google search of any of the words posted then they say enough is enough.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Hes all about the first amendment until it comes to his wallet.

As I said before, follow the money trail.

Honestly If he just protected his forum from the bots it would be a great site. I have used his site many times as I am sure many of you have.

To me hes not worried about the hobby, hes worried about making sales.

Hes all about the first amendment until what your talking about might hurt his sales and then the first amendment goes out the window, posts are edited and removed and the user is banned.

As I said before... Follow the money trail.

He doesnt realize that if he makes his coustomers happy by closing the forum from bots, his sales would be more. This very reasoning is keeping me from buying an AZBox from him.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
He doesnt realize that if he makes his coustomers happy by closing the forum from bots, his sales would be more. This very reasoning is keeping me from buying an AZBox from him.
Not only that he does not need to require a login for the entire site, just the feed areas. He has some GREAT receiver support and information there.

I got to admit I was an early adopter of the AZbox and at that time there was almost zero info on it here but lots of it there. (Especially since at the time he was the only one selling AZbox's!)

hd fan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 1, 2009
Ontario
wow! I still can not beleive all this has started over a CBS feed with programming that even in Cuba you would be able to watch during the summer with just a rabbit ears antenna!. What bothers me most is that unfortunaelly I have been a member on both forums or at least a daily lurker for over 2 years without realizing how infantile its members are , including me first for failing to see this 2 years ago. Let me enjoy the ""World Series"" (I do not see Japan or any other country) with my OTA antenna and move on in the future to anything other than this childish behaviour.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I still can not beleive all this has started over a CBS feed with programming that even in Cuba you would be able to watch during the summer with just a rabbit ears antenna!

You are correct. This is what happens when bean counters get involved in Technology.

I have floated by Cuba a few times and always bring a TV Tuner card for my laptop and am always amazed at what they are watching from the US. All the shows with English audio (and Spanish subtitles) and a big black box covering up the logo from the network they stole it from. :D

trommy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 22, 2006
Nova Scotia
Thanks Brent! Maybe if we speak upand show Rick that we are not out to get him!but are here speaking out because its a good site and this problem with the log in should be solved for the benifit of all.I know thaere are other rick members here! please voice your opionion to rick on his site in a nice!constructive manner.
Go back to page 2 and see my posts there.I insulted no one in my post at Ricks in any way,shape,or form.He says 'bring any isues up with' him but I was cut off from the site entirely(by him personally) when I tried to do so.Again,he talks the talk but he doesn't walk the walk.He's a 2-faced sleezebag.Rick,I appologize if I spelled 'sleezebag' wrong.

Hockeynut

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 13, 2010
Sat Farm in NC.
Well I hate to see all this happening and tho I do not visit here often I wish the best for everyone and the best for fta.As Rick would say..life is short.

If it werent for Rick I would have never been able to enjoy this hobby,Why?? Because I would have had to been in a click that only select members would be privy to.So I guess I am just killing it for those that would not have allowed me in because I didnt fit into the click!!

Do I believe I am killing this hobby from posting my finds at Ricks? Nope...But I dont need a click over there!!!

I can take all the criticism in the world as long as it does not come from a hyprocrit that has tuned into one of my finds!!!

All the best.
Hockeynut.

mr3p

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 1, 2010
West
I went to post over there but the thread was locked for no apparent reason other than Rick didn't want conversation on the topic despite the fact there were no threats in the thread and nothing hostile. While people can disagree over whether posting of feeds lead to their disappearance (which of course I do) what I don't get is the unwillingness of those who don't believe so to consider the other side. Just what is the downside to requiring a registration? How would you be impacted by having a registration in order to view/post feeds and why would you somehow not enjoy the hobby? The arguments against registration are pretty weak and there is no censorship or "clique" required for registration and one can post your brains out but do so with a little discretion and understanding that posting openly on the internet MAY be affecting a content providers decision to scramble a feed. Is registration perfect? No far from it but its at least it does reduce the google hits.

stanleyjohn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 25, 2010
south/central Ct,USA
The only negative part i could find with a log-in was that it took me awhile here at satelliteguys to find out that there was a WUT section.I found that out only when i started a thread about a feed only to see it get deleted.Some others who come here looking for feed chat may not stick around and look for another site.

Last edited:

Skyscanner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 20, 2008
Sportsman's Paradise Northern Mi
"If it werent for Rick I would have never been able to enjoy this hobby,Why?? Because I would have had to been in a click that only select members would be privy to.So I guess I am just killing it for those that would not have allowed me in because I didnt fit into the click!! Do I believe I am killing this hobby from posting my finds at Ricks? Nope...But I dont need a click over there!!!"

What are you trying to say exactly? That you don't know how to spell "clique" or you don't know how to "click" into a simple forum?

I've said it before, if you really believe open posting of material has no effect, then why don't you post your real name, social security number and birthdate in forums? Why do you use a user name and hide your personal info instead? Hmmm? Could it be that someone might be looking for that kind of information to use in a manner contrary to your best interest? Be careful using the word "hypocrite" if you don't clearly understand the concept.
ss

Last edited:

avg1joe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 27, 2006
Southern Maine
Satellite Guys has been an invaluable resource for me and I've really enjoyed the fta hobby. When I try to encourage others to join in there is usually a long discussion because they think that fta must be piracy. I explain the difference and what is legal. The full time channels usually don't excite them so I tell them about feeds. About the time I get around to the whole topic of this thread, don't tell the broadcaster you are watching, the person I'm talking to arch an eyebrow and say, "If its legal, why can't you tell them".

Not discussing feeds in an open manner makes us appear to be pirates. I always wondered what was in the wut section. Part of me suspected that y'all talked the moral talk out here and had a bunch of bin files in there. I understand why you do WUT the way you do. I don't have a better idea how to do it. I'm telling you that by hiding something it appears that you have something to hide, right up until you show that person what you are hiding. I'm ok with that and I'm sure you are too. Its just an observation.

Blindowl1234

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 16, 2008
SouthWest Ohio
Well I got into this hobby to have fun....for the most part I have had fun. If it wasn't for Sat Guys and people with a lot more knowledge than I about FTA...I'd never have enjoyed this hobby at all. Never on this site have I been put down or mistreated. I've had very good service from our sponsors too. I'm saddened by those who obviously run from this site to Rick's telling what was just said 5 minutes ago... that is stuff we did in grade school. You know who you are. Rick is misguided and arrogant its plain and simple. At Ricks there is not room for debate or dissent. Here you've posted freely whether its "pro" or "con" correct? No at Ricks it's plain and simple it's his way or no way. I'll stick with Sat Guys where I've been treated fair since day one...Blind

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts