An Epiphany Happened Tonight RE:DVR Fees

There are MANY cases when two people in one house 'need' more than two tuners. At any given night during the week there are several shows on at once and multiple tuners are required to capture them all.

ABSOLUTELY! Perhaps the poster has not been properly brought into the DVR "fold." You get the blanket, I'll bring the kool-aid.
;)

Sadly, with two ViP722 HD DVRs in the house, there have been occasions when there weren't enough tuners, or repeats discovered thru Search, and hard decisions have had to be made.

I have a 722 and a 622. The 622 is in the boy's room recording his Spongebob and other shows. That occupies both tuners. In the meantime he watches previous recordings, because he hates commercials and doesn't want to watch anything live because of that. His Dad and his Mom are the same. That's how you get a 4-room setup in a three people household. Simple as that. I don't watch live TV because I don't like commercials. I record everything I care about.

i do realize the duo puts out 1 sd and 1 hd, never used that feature on mine though
you can also split the single reciver if you want to, or use diff outputs.
$17 for a reciver is still too much, no mater what it does

It's not Dish's fault you don't use the feature.

And while you are free to complain about the high fees, I was just pointing out how foolish it was to say they should all cost the same when they certainly do not cost the same to Dish.

mdram said:
i do realize the duo puts out 1 sd and 1 hd, never used that feature on mine though
you can also split the single reciver if you want to, or use diff outputs.
$17 for a reciver is still too much, no mater what it does

Then dont have one. Thats your option to not pay. Problem solved.

Then dont have one. Thats your option to not pay. Problem solved.

Easy to say when you had a receiver at $7 per month (with AEP) and it suddenly jumps to $17. Either pay to get new receivers or suffer a $10/month price increase. They did not grandfather in the receivers.

In my case I downgraded service and also changed out receivers to 211ks since the savings paid for them in a year. Dish ended up losing money in subscription fees. I am now past the break even point, but my bill is $30/month lower than it was with AEP before. Did Dish really come out ahead on this deal? I guess it was Showtime, Starz and Cinemax that really lost since I dropped AEP down to 120 and later added HBO.

In that case, the $7 fee doesn't seem all that bad. It's still a little hokey, but not bad. Especially if you need independant & simultaneous viewing of sat channels on more than one set in HD.

I think one big mistake that many make is to think they need 1 tuner for each TV in the house. But in reality, with proper distribution, you really only need 1 tuner for each person in the house. It never ceases to amaze me how many 2 people households are paying for 4 room setups.

Cheers

It's not so much the "tuner" part that I need more than one of. It's the "recorder" part.

I have two duo DVRs and there are nights that "choices" have to be made....

(I like using "quotation" marks...)

Looks like I inadvertantly struck a nerve, lol. Actually, I was referring to setups where people have a tuner assigned to each TV in the house for the sole purpose of providing that TV with programming (and I know a lot of folks who do that).

Considering that I have an HTPC with 2 ATSC tuners, 2 DVB-S2 tuners, ports to capture 2 external analog devices, and 4.5-TB of hard drive space, not to mention my 211k with EHD... of course I understand the DVR considerations.

Perhaps I should have more narrowly defined my statement. LOL.

Cheers

So...if I have a 211 receiver that I own (not leased), and that's the only receiver on my account, other than the $40.00 fee to add the external hard drive, there's NO other DVR fee? No monthly DVR charge?

So...if I have a 211 receiver that I own (not leased), and that's the only receiver on my account, other than the $40.00 fee to add the external hard drive, there's NO other DVR fee? No monthly DVR charge?

Correct.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts