An Error Occured When Transferring Events to your "Hopper Set Top Box"

CubsWin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 17, 2005
Bourbonnais, IL
I just got my original Hopper upgraded to a new Hopper with Sling and had transferred all my recordings to an EHD. I can play those recordings from the EHD, but I'm unable to transfer any of them back to the Hopper.

Every time I try to transfer any program, I get the message:

USB Device Transfer Error 855 - An Error Occured When Transferring Events to your "Hopper Set Top Box"

Has anyone seen this before and do you know how to resolve it?

What is strange is that I'm able to transfer my old (ViP 622) recordings that were on the EHD from several years ago, but anything that was recorded on my Hopper won't transfer. I have seen a few other similar threads on Dish's support site, so apparently this is a common issue.

I find it easiest to transfer just after rebooting. If that's not easy at that moment, try un-powering and reloading the drive. Sometimes they are just not transferring and you can "unblock" them by transferring a file/show/recording in the other direction and trying again. Clearly rebooting is the most disruptive of what you are doing but it is the most likely to work. I'm in the process of reordering which of 10+ drives the shows are on--several 1000 long moves and many days. You can have up to 4 drives transferring at the same time--I do when I can. You can view from only 2. The EHD transfer page is the most help--Menu+2 downs+2 lefts+select because it shows sizes. Wish it would show the direction. The drive in-use indicator light is a big help. It may stop and just require looking at the transfer page to get it going.

The most annoying thing is that sometimes you do not get to see the entire list of icons/tiles. You will note that the "thumb" will not go all the way down. The best you can do until sometime later is to switch the order from A to Z to by DVR date or in the extreme case do this: Clear the trash, move many of the shows to the trash, and then you will have a short list and can pick and choose. Remember to restore the trashed shows before the witching hour.

-Ken

Last edited:
The most annoying thing is that sometimes you do not get to see the entire list of icons/tiles. You will note that the "thumb" will not go all the way down. The best you can do until sometime later is to switch the order from A to Z to by DVR date or in the extreme case do this: Clear the trash, move many of the shows to the trash, and then you will have a short list and can pick and choose. Remember to restore the trashed shows before the witching hour.

Ran into that several times the last few days copying stuff over from the old Hopper in prep for this mornings upgrade...was very annoying!

I've been having the same problems trying to copy stuff to the new HWS, same as the OP. Not a terrible thing if I can't...I was just glad to be able to offload them from the old Hopper to keep them...but I'll give some of your tips a shot. Thanks!

The most annoying thing is that sometimes you do not get to see the entire list of icons/tiles. You will note that the "thumb" will not go all the way down. The best you can do until sometime later is to switch the order from A to Z to by DVR date or in the extreme case do this: Clear the trash, move many of the shows to the trash, and then you will have a short list and can pick and choose. Remember to restore the trashed shows before the witching hour.-Ken
I offered that trick as a solution in another separate thread. It's nice to see that you're using it. This also works great in circumstances when you want to choose only specific episodes of a show for transfer instead of having to take every single one of them. Just temporarily move the episodes you don't want to transfer to the Deleted Recordings so they won't be selected along with everything else. This can be useful when you're running low on space but still have enough to move a few episodes or when trying to assemble and split up season sets to exclude episodes which don't belong. Just remember to restore afterwards. Until Dish comes up with an actual method, there really isn't any other way.

Last edited:
One thing that is missing in the Deleted Recordings is a select all. As each episode transferred to the DR (trash) must be selected separately, it adds to the work of restoring the bundle you moved there. They are not "stacked" under one label either, which would have solved most of the restore. Then again, this is, I guess, mostly a recover of single files or so it is meant to be.

Sorry for missing the acknowledgment. I had similar ideas but the user folders were no help as they are not selectable for transfers.
-Ken

Sorry for missing the acknowledgment. I had similar ideas but the user folders were no help as they are not selectable for transfers.
-Ken
You've been offering that solution long before.

To update...I'm on day two with the HWS, and as of this evening, I am now able to successfully transfer the recordings from my EHD to the new HWS! :D

I have been experiencing that error on my 622 for the last couple of weeks.
It once decided to play right and I was able to again move quite a few recordings, but we are now again stuck on that error.
Through the entire life of this 622 there has never been even the slightest hiccup, but now there is. It’s going on the third day now.

Usually when I encounter a transfer error, simply trying again or at a later time will then work. However, I have three shows (which couldn't be more different) which absolutely refuse to transfer: the premiere episode, "Standing Up in the Milky Way" of Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey; the episode "Sacrifice" of The Following; and the 2014 Radio Disney Music Awards. I can't get any of those onto an EHD. It doesn't matter if I wait hours or days or even weeks and I still try every now and then. I've even tried sending them to a different EHD but it still fails. It's frustrating because it ruins my otherwise complete recorded second season of The Following and Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey is missing the premiere.

Last edited:
I couldn't get the Cosmos Episode 1 to transfer either so I recorded a duplicate of the same episode the other night on NatGeo that transferred just fine.

I try all kinds of tricks but many (>40) of my internal HD shows will not transfer out to their assigned EHDs.
These same show were just transferred into the HwS, so why can't they go back out?
I keep trying to come back to the same failures and if I didn't get one now and then
it would be the definition of insanity--trying the same thing again and again and expecting different results.

I've noticed on some of the reboots, daily and manual (using yellow+9+9+yes), that the sizes will sometimes
come up invalid numbers like 1500GB on a 2TB (1862 GB) drive. I wonder what disaster awaits doing that transfer?
On a recent set I had 3 different sizes so I could tell which is which. Where are the drive labels when you need them?
Usually I'm not that "lucky" but I can, if I must, set up for transfer to the IHD and see which titles are there
and then go back for the transfer to the EHD. This is because I'm doing more than 1 drive at a time.

-Ken

I have 2 622 receivers and one 612 if you are transferring shows to an EHD will they continue to transfer if you happen to turn the receiver off before they are finished transferring?

Yes if mean using the remote or in panel off button. No if you pull the plug--obviously.
Because the off button just shuts off the outputs--not even that just the picture source.
-Ken

Those sound like corrupted recordings.

I ran into a couple of those earlier in the year, where it wouldn't copy a show to the EHD.

I figured out it was a corrupted file when I tried transferring the show to my iPad. As it wouldn't copy it their either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts