An update from Scott at CES

Don Landis said:
As for downrezing- I pretty much covered my thought on that topic in another location but to review- It isreally a non issue for now. Most of the complaints I heard are technically bogus.

Really!!!

Unfortunately most people are going to look at the number of channels available instead of thinking about the quality when signing up for service since they do not know about different HD picture qualities.

bestboff said:
I would say all this hand wringing over HD lite is ridiculous. Statements like I'm dumping satellite and going to HD DVD are laughable. Kinda hard to watch football or the Olympics in DVD. The news of additional channels and the local networks is fantastic! Once this happens, I'll be the first one in line for a 622. The satellite operators have to make a choice between number of channels and bandwidth. Most people are wowed by 720p resolution.
You've obviously have never seen TRUE HD! :p

sbturner said:
My 46" Samsung DLP converts everything to 720P anyway and alot of other hdtvs do as well. Could DISH just convert the 1080i stuff too 720P and save room this way. ESPN at 720P looks awesome, better that 1080I stuff that I have seen
There are still plenty of us out there with native 1080i sets.

orcatek said:
720p or 1080i, forget them both. After seeing 1080p at the show, the both look bad.
720p due to lower resolution, and 1080i due to interlace artifacts in high motion.
1080p address both.
You will never ever see 1080p unless they double the satellite fleet. :D

rthomp03 said:
You will never ever see 1080p unless they double the satellite fleet. :D

I find it very naive statement.
Five years ago when I started to use broadband Internet I could not even imagine that today I will be able to watch IPTV from Russia with this amazing PQ. And I can tell you that it is not so far from SD PQ from cable. I'll call it SD-lite:) , of course SD from satellite is better (like HDNet is better then HD-lite from Voom).
The technology is amazing. I just watched a comedy from Russian channel 1 (which left Dish for D* in December) and I can tell you that it is SD-lite, and PQ is pretty good on my 61" HDTV. I'll give them some slack in fast moving scenes. I am waiting for next month test of IPTV receiver. This receiver will have component output (!):rolleyes: .

So, thess 1080p broadcasts are not so remote in time as someone thinks they are. And if satellite will not deliver it, I now have very little doubt that IPTV from Internet will do it.

All those buying 1080p sets are going to see VOOM in "1080p". Except that it is going to be coming from Dish at 1280x1080i and your receiver will add information to upconvert to 1920x1080i, then send it to your TV where it will be converted to 1920x1080p. It won't have any more detail than 1280x1080i, but it will technically be a 1920x1080p image.

The new HD lite is not a bad picture, when comparing it to the SD picture of the other 120 channels. So, someone coming on board new to HD would think it is a great picture. If one has never seen a true HD picture, then one will think HD Lite is great.

Hey Scott what about the quanity over quaility thing, thought we wanted quaility thats why we sent all the emails and bitched so much! Then u tell Charlie that that we would rather have quanity over quality what gives here, I really confused here Scott! Maybe u could enlighten us a bit! You have always gone with our best interest in mind, what happened here! Did u think that we would never get any more HD channels or just the pressure from being around the rich and shameless. Scott we do need a answer on this we are all confused on this subject! HD and waiting for true HD! :confused:

I would like to know also.

My wife who knows nothing about the situation said to me yesterday that our HDTV is going out. We have the 34" model that Dish sold us.

She said it was blurry and didn't look right. She tried another channel and said it was doing the same thing. She was watching the VOOM channels. I switched it to HDNET and she said "I guess it was the channel."

If someone who knows nothing about technology can notice it, then it is an issue. It is also an issue because we are paying for something we aren't getting.

I signed up for the HD pak at a special Echostar HD event thing in Denver. At the time, I asked one of the techs if they were going to ever downress their HD like they do their SD. He said not to worry, that they would not.

I don't understand why some haven't noticed how bad VOOM looks now. You can see how blurry it is on the Dish model monitor. It is an issue.

I have no idea why some people on here cant see the blurryness on the Voom stations and it being fuzzy and breaking up alot. Just wait till the CES is over and flip on Voom and then switch to HDnet and compare.

I honestly think people have there 811's set for 480i and not 1080i cause its so clear to see how bad Voom Eqautor is. Heck i cant watch Rush cause of how bad it breaks up and just have out of focus it looks most of the time. I rather have the SD feed so i can watch it better, it all looks washed out.

And Scott, how can you walk around seeing those 1080p tvs in action and even seeing the HD DVD in action and have the balls to sit and say HDlite is just as good?

Im sure you think VCR is just as good as Super Bit DVDS huh?

Scott Greczkowski said:
I agree 100%
I think someone has kidnapped Scott and taken control of his account. Could this really be from the same person that had this to say as recently as 12/20?
Scott Greczkowski said:
I am not impressed with what I am seeing, nor do any indications point to the fact that the VOOM channels will be increased to 1920 x 1080 anytime soon.
So far it looks like the emails we all got from Dish that they are working on it and that viewers will be happy seem to be bogus at this point.
With that said I am still giving them the benefit of the doubt as its not CES time yet. But if the problem is not addressed of fixed by CES then we can call them to the table on it.
It is a great world that we live in that I can be sitting in a room with Charlie Ergen and be able to check the resolution of the VOOM channels while sitting with him and the rest of the major press that covers the industry. :)
The ball is now all in Dish Networks court, let's see what they do.
I can safely say one thing unlike a few other sites if the problem is not fixed I am not going to just bend over and take it, you got my word on that one. Here at SatelliteGuys we work for the good of the consumers, not to kiss the ass of the satellite companies.
Those don't sound like statements from the same person. OK, so maybe it wasn't kidnapping, I guess it could be brainwashing.

Scott (a different one)

To Scott Greczkowski

What's the difference between the 211,411 and the 222 HD Receivers and the specifics on the dual tuner hd 222?

just right now switch between Equator and Discovery HD and then tell me there is no difference, its like nite and day to me. Discovery is richer, it pops out and looks more real, on the other hand Equator looks bland and not easy on the eyes when the camera moves around.

211/411 are the same the 211 has an ethernet port; this receiver replaces the 111/301/311

The 222 is a dual tuner non dvr receviever, it replaces the 322

The 622 is a dual tuner DVR and will be replacing all the DVR models.

Thanks for the reply so quick and do you know when the 222 will be out?

The 211 is ready now and they hope to have the other 2 available before the first quarter is over, so that would be before the end of march, but you know how they can get delayed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)