An update on my move

Status
Please reply by conversation.

robjlevin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
New Jersey
Here's an update on a couple of earlier posts where I asked about the wireless clients and "moving."

I just moved into the new home in southern NJ and took advantage of the movers deal. Installer showed up right on time and installed the dish and ran the wires beautifully. You can barely see the dish on the back of the house on the roof. He ran the wires through the gutter and behind the downspout. This guy was a real pro especially compared to the hacks that installed the system at my other house.

The house was prewired for two locations and while I was a bit leery of it, I let him install the two wireless clients for the Genie in the rooms without coax runs. Maybe it's because they replaced a couple of old HR 22s but these things have almost no lag at all. Very impressive technology and the Genie itself is just screaming fast. The only receiver I kept from my old house was an HR24 that had way too many recordings for me to give up and I wanted the back up for recordings going forward.

Everything was activated easily and he got two of my three old receivers deactivated. And then the fun started. Upon trying to deactivate the third, my entire account was pretty much trashed. No base package, no credits, no nothing. And the receiver didn't get deactivated. After hours of being transferred there was nothing he could do so he was sent to his next job while DTV rebuilt my entire account.

Took about 4 hours until I finally had everything up and running. The only explanation anyone could come up with was that 22 that he tried to deactivate was set as the primary receiver. All in all a rather aggravating experience because everyone kept promising to get back to me quickly and never did. Ultimately it was the installer's supervisor that called me to talk me through a couple of things. DTV did come up with a $50 credit for the inconvenience so in the end everything's good including the pleasant surprise that I get MSG and MSG+ as my RSNs so I may just stick with the Philly locals for now before I bother "moving." I'm sure I'll see a blackout now and again but I'll see how that goes.

Thanks for the input during this process. It was appreciated.

Reactions: cinsu
i recently experienced this same thing. not sure if the installer tried to do it himself, or he called D* to de-activate the old boxes, but pretty much what they said is as far as i can figure. the old primary box got shut down before the services got transferred over to the genie. its a PITA because it takes a bit to get it back, but in my case it was like... 30 min, not 4 hours. not sure why it took so long.

Glad everything worked out ...
That odd that the whole account got shut down like that ...

I re activated my locals today and it took quite awhile to get them to go, she tried for about 20 minutes and each time the y went back to the Moved location.
She checked with another person and they got it figured out, I asked what the issue turned out to be ... previously returning I have been given other cities that were not mine by the person inserting the wrong zip code.
This time to my surprise, it was due to the addition of MY local CW ... I've always had one out of another city, now I have my own, must have happened while I was gone.
Unfortunately I rarely watch anything on the CW, but at least its there now. :)

i recently experienced this same thing. not sure if the installer tried to do it himself, or he called D* to de-activate the old boxes, but pretty much what they said is as far as i can figure. the old primary box got shut down before the services got transferred over to the genie. its a PITA because it takes a bit to get it back, but in my case it was like... 30 min, not 4 hours. not sure why it took so long.

The software directv uses ties all programming, discounts etc to a primary receiver, if the rep deactivated that receiver without making another receiver on your account the primary then it would kill the account, nothing that couldn't be reversed but would take awhile looking up and putting everything back the way it was. If you log on to your online account and under billing look under recent activity it will list all the charges individually, you will see all charges except for mirroring fees are tied to one receiver as it will show last 4 of access card #.

Rep's should always add new receiver first, then make it primary, then deactivate old.

For example on my account the primary is an old HR24-100, you would think it would be my HR44 but it isn't, but it really doesn't matter.

The software directv uses ties all programming, discounts etc to a primary receiver, if the rep deactivated that receiver without making another receiver on your account the primary then it would kill the account, nothing that couldn't be reversed but would take awhile looking up and putting everything back the way it was. If you log on to your online account and under billing look under recent activity it will list all the charges individually, you will see all charges except for mirroring fees are tied to one receiver as it will show last 4 of access card #.

Rep's should always add new receiver first, then make it primary, then deactivate old.

For example on my account the primary is an old HR24-100, you would think it would be my HR44 but it isn't, but it really doesn't matter.
You would think the Main recvr in the main room would be designated the Primary receiver, all Genies should be the Primary.

if the rep deactivated that receiver without making another receiver on your account the primary then it would kill the accoun

No system should ever allow something like that to happen. It should refuse to deactivate a primary receiver until a new primary is defined.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts