An Update

Status
Please reply by conversation.
09/14/2007xxxxxxxx9620Sports HD - Charge$0.00$0.0009/14/2007xxxxxxxx9620Cinemax HD - Charge$0.00$0.0009/14/2007xxxxxxxx9620Starz HD - Charge$0.00$0.0009/14/2007xxxxxxxx9620HD Access$-8.33$-0.5009/14/2007xxxxxxxx9620HD Access$8.33$0.50

If it is #2, this is egg on Directv's face. They got everything up in the sky right and going good but the billing the computer on the ground in some datacenter ruins everything for today? ouch!

Time to hire some new programmers.

If it is #2, this is egg on Directv's face. They got everything up in the sky right and going good but the billing the computer on the ground in some datacenter ruins everything for today? ouch!

Time to hire some new programmers.

Check your local Want Ads in the coming days...there could definitely be some new opening at D* :D

And you might want to buy stock real quick in things like Folgers, Jolt Cola, Red Bull, Monster Energy Drinks...gonna be some wired nerds in the next few hours/days. ;)

I have heard two different reasons from my sources. (Don't know if any of them are true)

1) There is a technical problem where the new channels are pixelating every few minutes.

and the second more believable one is...

2) They are having problems with the billing computer authorizing the new services.

The reason why I put more weight on number 2 is because I know one person with a test card and he says the HD has been up for a few days and look GOOD.

Scott, that does not seem diasaterous to me. It seems that once the glitch in the software is found and corrected that they will be able to move forward. I was beginning to think that perhaps the D10 satellite was worse off then they stated in the press release. I am pleased to hear that it does not seem to be an issue with the sat. Hopefully these "kinks' can be ironed out so they when D11 goes up things can move forward more smoothly. Like any new tech., there are always suprises or things that happen that weren't expected.

Thank's for the info.

I guess I would have to lean towards #2 myself
Plus if it was a pixelating issue, they would have known it a couple of days earlier when the channels went up in engineering mode and they could have changed the CSR scripts.

But if it was an authorization issue, they wouldn't have known about it until last night as they were getting ready to flip the switch.

I got "An Update" from my insider today too, I'm still trying to figure it out but here is what he sent me.

1408749470_1ad1f9560e.jpg

Ok, I have a confession to make...

I work in a job where I have to deal with customer complaints and issues almost daily, I have been here for over 20 years, so I tend to be a little too nice when dealing with CSRs...I sympathize too much. So, checking my signals on 103b, they were very low (40s to 70s), so I had my wife...who does not have those sympathy issues...call to get us a dish realignment, hopefully free.

It worked...we have an appointment for Thursday...and I suspect that she put such fear-of-God into them, that they postponed the whole launch until we got our dish properly aimed. Believe me, she has the power...

I apologize for all the problems this has caused.

So if programmers find this so called error in the software.. Why should it take till the 21st to launch again? Shouldn't soon as they get it fixed they launch?

If they really thought it was fixed in a couple days, why not change the tier on the new HD channels and basically stick them in "free preview" mode until they get it worked out.

There's gotta be a little more to it than what they're saying.

So if programmers find this so called error in the software.. Why should it take till the 21st to launch again? Shouldn't soon as they get it fixed they launch?
I for one would prefer my software fully tested and debugged before being uploaded to my box. And proper QA work takes time.

Well...I don't know what to think anymore (CSR did tell me @8:00 this morning she had heard two stories (1) problem with D10 (2) Account problems)

You will see my issues with #2!:eek::D I made the mistake of checking my recent activity (where I noticed that the HD access was removed on 9/12). I called and had them add it back manually. Of course, the next day it was "automatically" added. So I call again, trying to explain what I thought happened (new tiers, etc etc). 1st level billing support did not have any idea why this occurred. Put on hold for a while, moved to a supervisor (as I was trying to be clear that I thought it was part of their new tier system for HD), and did not want to lose the ability to view the new channels when available....so this is what I ended up with! Looks like after the initial changes, they rebuilt my billing system, then added HD Access/then removed HD Access - assuming with the new channels/tiers added.

It appears it would have been better to named these "HD Access" differently (before tier/after new channels-tier) I assume the HD Access was modified to allow future HD channels/HD Extra/preview period).

Btw, it appears the "TV Listings" guide is also tied into the HD Access...as 'My Channels' 70-79 are missing with the current setup.
Code:
09/13/2007                 [B]HD Access$-7.66[/B]
 09/13/2007                [B]HD Access$7.66[/B]
 09/13/2007                [B]HD Access$7.66[/B]
 09/13/2007               TOTAL CHOICE PLUS$39.86
 09/13/2007                HBO - Charge$9.97
 09/13/2007               DIRECTV DVR Service$4.59
 09/13/2007                DIRECTV Protection Plan - Charge$4.59
 09/13/2007                 TOTAL CHOICE PLUS$-39.86 
 09/13/2007                  DIRECTV Protection Plan - Disconnect Adj$-4.59
 09/13/2007                  DIRECTV DVR Service$-4.59
 09/13/2007                  HBO - Disconnect Adj$-9.97$-0.50
 09/13/2007                  DIRECTV Protection Plan - Charge$4.59
 09/13/2007                  DIRECTV DVR Service$4.59
 09/13/2007                 DIRECTV Protection Plan - Disconnect Adj$-4.59
 09/13/2007                 DIRECTV DVR Service$-4.59
09/13/2007                  [B]HD Access$7.66[/B]
09/12/2007                  Additional Receiver - Disconnect Adj$-3.99
09/12/2007                  [B]HD Access$7.99[/B]
09/12/2007                  [B]HD Access$-7.99[/B]

Never did see a HBO HD adjustment....

Last edited:
I called to day someone in the tech department told me they will still roll out today :-/
O well I got blu-ray and planet earth and blockbuster blu-ray rentals to hold me back :)

Plus if it was a pixelating issue, they would have known it a couple of days earlier when the channels went up in engineering mode and they could have changed the CSR scripts.

But if it was an authorization issue, they wouldn't have known about it until last night as they were getting ready to flip the switch.

Hey Herdfan, I haven't seen you in a while.

I have heard two different reasons from my sources. (Don't know if any of them are true)

1) There is a technical problem where the new channels are pixelating every few minutes.

and the second more believable one is...

2) They are having problems with the billing computer authorizing the new services.

The reason why I put more weight on number 2 is because I know one person with a test card and he says the HD has been up for a few days and look GOOD.

#2 Sounds correct Scott. Because this pass weekend I tried to make a payment on my account and it said that my card expired. I check the settings in my account and everything was different. It happened to me three times this weekend.
So #2 I can roll with. Just put the channels up and bill us later! :D

OK....Stupid question. If I am seeing zero signal on 103b, what should I do? I own my equipment and it is the slimline dish and the HR20.

NewsDIRECTV HD Expansion Still Likely This Week
The satcaster's launch of new HD channels was set for today.By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (September 19, 2007) -- DIRECTV is still targeting this week to launch 20-40 additional High-Definition channels, according to several programming sources.

The satcaster actually had scheduled the launch today, but ran into what one source called "technical difficulties." It's unclear what the snafu is, but it's not considered to be serious.

Robert Mercer, a DIRECTV spokesman, did not return phone calls today from TVPredictions.com.

But DIRECTV was so confident that today would be the kickoff day for its HD expansion that it alerted its programming partners that it would occur today, according to sources at three content providers.

In addition, DIRECTV notified some TV listings services that the channels would be added today. Consequently, Zap2it.com, the online listings site, today added the new HD channels from DIRECTV in its listings for the satcaster.

And DIRECTV's customer service representatives have been telling callers that new HD channels would be added today. But several TVPredictions.com readers say CSRs have been telling them today that the launch has been postponed.

Some readers report that CSRs are saying the new launch date is September 21.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)