Android Turn-by-Turn GPS on iPhone?

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
One of the features that differentiated Android-based smartphones from the iPhone was the inclusion of free Turn-by-Turn GPS.
Last October it was announced that Google is working with Apple to bring the same functionality to the iPhone.
Google Maps Navigation takes a mobile turn | Relevant Results - CNET News

Even last week, when this service was introduced in UK, those plans to port it to iPhone were still intact
MacUser: News: Google brings free satnav to UK

Not anymore.
We did not say we would bring it to iPhone, we said to date we've had it on Android and that in the future it may come to other platforms but did not confirm this will be coming to iPhone at all...
Google Dashes Hopes of Free iPhone Turn-by-Turn GPS - PCWorld

I guess next time Jobs talks about the iPhone, we'll hear something like
If your phone does turn-by-turn navigation, you blew it...:)

Diogen.

Last edited:
I use the free app from Gokivo. Turn by turn directions. Even works while listening to music on your iPhone.

Don't tell Steve Jobs about it though.;)

We use the google gps navigation on the Droid, and it works great. Not as good as the Garmin Nuvi, but when you are on the road and want to find restaurants and hotels, having the power of google behind it really goes way behind the Garmin database.

I think the google-based navigation needs a few more years to mature, but it is pretty darn good.

We use the google gps navigation on the Droid, and it works great. Not as good as the Garmin Nuvi, but when you are on the road and want to find restaurants and hotels, having the power of google behind it really goes way behind the Garmin database.

I think the google-based navigation needs a few more years to mature, but it is pretty darn good.

I ran google nav on my samsung moment ( upgraded to 2.1 with leaked rom from sprint ) it works but there features that in my tomtom and garmin units that it would keep me using them over google nav. like my choice to use toll roll and hov lanes when possible. google wants to avoid them at all cost. and they just dont give the trip options yet .

I ran google nav on my samsung moment ( upgraded to 2.1 with leaked rom from sprint ) it works but there features that in my tomtom and garmin units that it would keep me using them over google nav. like my choice to use toll roll and hov lanes when possible. google wants to avoid them at all cost. and they just dont give the trip options yet .

I agree that the garmin unit is far morre polished for driving, but when used in conjunction with it on a road-trip, the google navigation system offers a lot. All the power of google search tied to maps.

I didn't have a problem using Google Navigation. I decided to use it exclusively over my Navigon and Garmin Nuvi PMD's on my vacation to Orlando last week. I used it for my entire drive from Virginia to Orlando, if I ran across a toll highway in FL I ignored it and Google rerouted me around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts