Anik F1 Replacement ?

JFOK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Cape Cod - MA.
HI All,

I recently read that this Canadian satellite will be retired in a few months which is too bad as I receive all available transponders very strongly.
I also enjoy the programing found here.
Any news on a replacement satellite or will the transponders be relocated to Anik F2 ?
Thanks in advance.

John

Hi All,

Here's what I've found.
I knew nothing of this until this morning and I thought I followed satellite news pretty thoroughly...guess not. :oops:
I hope they use Anik F2 for C Band as I cannot reach down to 119W.

John

Attachments

• EOL ANIK F1R.pdf
    178.7 KB · Views: 217
Reactions: c-spand
For years I got Starchoice/Shaw Direct in Alaska with a pair of 1.2 meter dishes, moved 3 years ago and dismantled it all. It was good while it lasted.

So Anik G1 is "colocated" with F1 but uses different frequencies? What's that about?
This is about Shaw needing space for a few years. Now that they have gone all Mpeg 4 they need less tranponders. These new low frequencies on G1 were approved for a few years. In the USA I believe around 4 to 5 hundred companies had to change equipment as they were on the same frequency (terrestial). Some Canadian companies as well. This is the reason Shaw sattellite G1 never went much past the Canadian/USA border.

This is about Shaw needing space for a few years. Now that they have gone all Mpeg 4 they need less tranponders. These new low frequencies on G1 were approved for a few years. In the USA I believe around 4 to 5 hundred companies had to change equipment as they were on the same frequency (terrestial). Some Canadian companies as well. This is the reason Shaw sattellite G1 never went much past the Canadian/USA border.

So G1 will be more difficult to tune than F1? Is it still linear KU? Seems like there have been some regular hockey feeds on 107 lately.

Well that's too bad. I can get F1 currently. Another blow to Ku FTA!

What Ku FTA are you referring to? Shaw Direct is a subscription service, not FTA, and presently uses regular Ku frequencies on Anik F1R (107) and Anik F2 (111 West), as well as the spot beamed unique frequencies on Anik G1 at 107.

Anything presently on F1R Ku-band (Shaw Direct) will be shifted to either Anik G1 or Anik F2.
Channels on F2 will cover all the way into northern Central America. Anik G1 is limited to Canada and bordering northern tier U.S. states.

There is some FTA on the C-band side of Anik F1R, and it will be shifted to another satellite later this year.
Anik F1R is not being replaced.

What Ku FTA are you referring to? Shaw Direct is a subscription service, not FTA, and presently uses regular Ku frequencies on Anik F1R (107) and Anik F2 (111 West), as well as the spot beamed unique frequencies on Anik G1 at 107.

Anything presently on F1R Ku-band (Shaw Direct) will be shifted to either Anik G1 or Anik F2.
Channels on F2 will cover all the way into northern Central America. Anik G1 is limited to Canada and bordering northern tier U.S. states.

There is some FTA on the C-band side of Anik F1R, and it will be shifted to another satellite later this year.
Anik F1R is not being replaced.

I'm referring to the current wild feeds on 107.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts