Ann Arbor Voom installs

jjken

Original poster
May 11, 2004
Hello all - Just made the call and signed up for Voom. Has anyone heard of Tri Tech - They will be doing the install for me on 7/5. I know Don Lors has a good rep on this forum and I was expecting them to be assigned to this.

I hope it is not the company that came to my house last Thursday,I was downstairs in my basement doing the prep work(my doorbell does work downstairs)came up to find a note on my door saying because of where my house is I can't get a clear line of sight to the satellite,please call Voom,the funny thing is I already have a Dish there pointing at 61.5 that I put up myself to get E*'s HD programing 2 years ago,I assume that the installer did not want to do it or had other installs to do but it would have been a damn easy install with the Dish there and the cable already done(and I do not need a antenna-I have a great one)all he would have to do was change the LNB.

tri tec

had tri-tech do my install was not impressed . a two hour installation took six.in fact guy said it was his first voom install.he may have gotten better. but had them out on service calls and still not impressed. i request don lors for anything i need done. i suggest you do the same. only my opinion. a howell voomer...........

Thanks for the info. I will call TriTech to get a feel for their expertise. My install is pretty simple - dish on the deck, RG6 quad cable already run, etc. I wonder why Don Lors isn't being assigned? And if Don Lors does it, is there additional cost?

Skip Don Lors. I have had two bad experiences with them, and a co-worker has had one. They *refuse* to install the upgraded 30" dishes that we each had approved by Voom. I call before the install. "Do you have my upgraded dish in stock?" "Yes." And then they only show up with the standard 18" dish. Same for coworker. They charged me for running 4 wires instead diplexors to my two stbs. The first tech to my site I had fired. To Don Lors' credit, they did fire him for his unprofessionalism, but their scheduling department nightmares and refusing to install larger dishes qualifies them for a thumbs down.

Thanks for the info on Don Lors. Guess I'll see what Tri Tech comes up with and keep a close eye on them. Impatient - where are you located?

jjken said:
Thanks for the info on Don Lors. Guess I'll see what Tri Tech comes up with and keep a close eye on them. Impatient - where are you located?

The East side of Detroit.

Successful install in Ann Arbor

TriTech came out and installed 18" dish and STB in about an hour. I already had the cable run and they put the dish on a pole at my request for an extra $65. Voom looks great. I told them to keep the Winegard - it would have sit on top of the dish and man was that ugly. I already had a silver sensor in the attic so I will be using that. I was getting 6-7 OTA signals anyway hooking straight into the Hitachi HiDef C ant port. When I disconnected that and ran the attic antennae to the Voom box, I get about 14 OTA signals, so that's a better deal.
I'm using the DVI connection to the Hitachi. Great picture, great sound. Now if I can just get the wife to see the 'beauty' of the dish outside.... Olive Garden, here we come!

I'm also on the east side of Detroit and I was pretty happy with my Don Lors experience. They installed diplexors and ran the extra lines (for free). And they also installed the 30" dish after re-peaking failed to clear up my rain fade issues (I got the 30" set-up through installs inc). They hooked up the roof-top antenna that I already had up there. I wouldn't say they did anything special, but they got the job done.

Ok. Don Lors finally has a put in a working setup for me on the fourth service call. It only took six weeks. It was a simple 2 stbs and a 24" dish install, with separate wires instead of a diplexer.
1) First guy: shows up with an 18" dish late. He had lost my paperwork. So unprofessional, I had him fired before he got the ladder off the truck.
2) Second guy: Charged $20 for running separate wires. Only had the 18" dish and a Winegard SensorII. "No 24" dishes in stock, so it is 18" or wait a few weeks for another install date". Ok, so I let him on the roof. Since I insisted on separate wires, he puts a splitter at the SensorII that does not pass power. And does not inform me that the antenna needs power. 5 of 7 OTA come in, so he considers that good.
Read postings that my antenna needed power, so I bought my own Winegard power supply for it. No luck, because the splitter won't pass power.
3) Installs Inc schedules a dish upgrade, but never informs me, so I am not home for the install.
4) Third Don Lors' tech comes out for my "dish upgrade" but only has 18" dishes in the truck. I had confirmed with Don Lors' scheduling on the previous business day that I was getting a 24" dish. The girl said "yes, it is right here on the order." Well, she did not check the warehouse, because they were out of them and were not supposed to get any more for another 2 days. Sent that tech up the ladder long enough to pull out the splitter. OTA SQ was 25 but viewable, now in the 80s and I get all 7 stations.
5) Finally, they have the 24" dish in. The tech tunes the dish by unwrapping a brand new DishNet receiver, and plugging it into my satellite wire so he can power his meter. Then he connects me back up. Since I now have a steady 98, I consider it peaked good enough. He packs his stuff and gets in his truck to leave. I have working OTA and Sat. I also have a DishNet receiver that he left behind. So, I put it back in the box, and look out the front door. He was sitting there looking on a map for his next install, so I was nice and gave him back his receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)