Annoyed with wating for new HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
all those "Supposed" place holders :)

I'm not sold that they are temporary place holders. A lot of those are split between part time RSNs and HD PPVs. The need for that isn't going away anytime soon. As MLB ends, NHL and NBA will be starting up so those channels will continue to be split between PPV and part time RSNs.

And a number of channels will always remain HD PPV because D* makes a lot of money of PPV and they won't give that up.

I prefer D* over E*, but it is kinda annoying right now. 30 or so of those PPV's sure could be going to good use right now.

D* has been doing well with locals, so thats good. The rumor has also been Oct for HD nationals. If we dont have anything by Nov 1, I will be pissed. Too bad there is nothing I can do about it because Cox and E* aint seeing any of my money.

I'm not sold that they are temporary place holders. A lot of those are split between part time RSNs and HD PPVs. The need for that isn't going away anytime soon. As MLB ends, NHL and NBA will be starting up so those channels will continue to be split between PPV and part time RSNs.

And a number of channels will always remain HD PPV because D* makes a lot of money of PPV and they won't give that up.

I believe that some are, only because Satracer said so.

I believe that some are, only because Satracer said so.

So far he has yet to be proven correct on this and it has been 1.5 months since we got these so called temporary HD PPVs. While his info has been correct in the past, he is also a D* employee who will state the company line and do his best to make sure that customers don't get upset and leave. If it is true that these aren't temporary it would be in D*'s best interest to keep that a secret as it would upset a lot of their most valuable customers (HD customers). So until it actually happens color me skeptical.

Those guys also thought it would be August, then they thought it would be September. Now they are thinking October. When it doesn't happen in October then they will be saying it will happen in November. Point is they don't know more than anybody else.

yes i agree with that.i just don't listen to these rumors anymore. i was so hyped up about the launch of d11 and all this supposed new hd people kept talking about and for what? i learned not to get myself to caught up in these rumors so i'm not disappointed later. don't expect anything and you'll be fine. be content with what you have.

D* has 36 HD PPVs.

... and I have never ordered a single movie or event in HD and the last movie I ordered in SD was "Friday" back in the mid 1990's. I am by no means cheap. I pay for Premiere with the HD add on paks AND HD cable with a HD DVR. I am owner of 2 HDTVs and about 600 HD-DVD/DVD/bluray discs. I am a spender when it comes to entertainment. I have carried all the premiums since the mid 1990's when I entered adulthood. I am just not a PPV person. I feel pissed the more I think about this. Even if they took 10 of those HD slots, assuming they are full to capacity (which we know they are not), they could give us some more HBO/Max channels and Fox News HD and Travel Channel HD... instead they are wasting space on HD PPV. This stinks.

i find it hard to believe that so many people purchase ppv movies. they are too expensive to begin with. we've had polls here about this very subject and most people voted that they have never or have rarely purchased ppv movies.

so they are otherwise out of space again? yeah right.

i find it hard to believe that so many people purchase ppv movies. they are too expensive to begin with. we've had polls here about this very subject and most people voted that they have never or have rarely purchased ppv movies.

I think that is part of the trickery. The gullible viewer sees all the promos and excitement when the sound goes louder and you are told you can, "order Brokeback Mountain on HD Pay Per View Today!" The gullible viewer sees all those channels of PPV and thinks, "people must be ordering these movies and maybe we should too!"

Why pay for a PPV movie that is going to expire in 24 hours? You can buy the DVD/bluray disc and keep it in your collection for 50 or more years. Chances are, you will pull it off the shelf and watch it again sometime in your life, or at least let a friend borrow it. If it is something you KNOW you will never watch again, than why not wait a couple months and watch it on a premium channel? PPV is stupid.

If you look at the transponder loading at DirecTV HD - Current Listing - DBSTalk.Com it looks like they are, unless they pull some of the HD PPV channels, assuming they continue to load up only 5 channels per transponder.

They need to pull some of the HD PPVs.... nobody is going to accept waiting for the next launch (whenever that is?) for Fox News HD, Travel Channel HD, and more premiums in HD.

FIOS was literally digging up the yard across the street today. Oct 7 they are getting ALL 26 HBO/MAX premiums in HD, among most of the Showtimes, all the Starz we get with DirecTV, and many HD nationals (more than we get). That leaves RSNs. I only watch my home RSNs anyway, and FIOS has those. I guess I'll drop my DirecTV package from the Premiere with two HD-DVRs and the extra HD channels down to the minimum until my buyout gets within reason and then scrap them. This is ridiculous if they ran out of space like that. Even my local cable provider, BrightHouse, is switching to SDV and FINALLY adding HD channels.

I feel like I made the wrong move going with DirecTV. The momentum was so strong that I guess many of us got carried away thinking it would last. Boy, it is starting to sound like we were duped.

:(

I think that is part of the trickery. The gullible viewer sees all the promos and excitement when the sound goes louder and you are told you can, "order Brokeback Mountain on HD Pay Per View Today!" The gullible viewer sees all those channels of PPV and thinks, "people must be ordering these movies and maybe we should too!"

Why pay for a PPV movie that is going to expire in 24 hours? You can buy the DVD/bluray disc and keep it in your collection for 50 or more years. Chances are, you will pull it off the shelf and watch it again sometime in your life, or at least let a friend borrow it. If it is something you KNOW you will never watch again, than why not wait a couple months and watch it on a premium channel? PPV is stupid.

i know a few people like that :D. i personally have some premiums and netflix . i pay $14 a month for unlimited rentals. i usually rent 4 movies a week. most in glorious bluray. that's about 16 movies a month for $14. You get all the latest releases. How much are the ppv's again? multiply 16 ppv's by whatever D charges for this ppv crap. plus no time limits. i love my D but i have no interest in wasting money on ppv movies.

The advantage that the PPV's have is you don't have to plan ahead to see a movie. You don't need to order it on NetFlix and wait for it to show up or get in the car and drive to Blockbuster to see what they have in stock. You're trying to find something to watch, come across a movie in the PPV list you want to see and say WTF, it's only $3.99 or $4.99 and hit the button. With the movies their pusing to the Movies now & showcases folder on the HR2X's don't even need to wait for a start time to roll around, watch it now.

Yes, if you want to watch a movie multiple times buying a DVD/BD will probably be the best bet but how many movies fall into that category? I have probably close to 300 DVD/BD/HD-DVD's and the vast majority of them were watched when they showed up and that's been it.

it takes one day for me to get netflix. send it back and you'll get another one in two days. big deal. but i get your point. i used to feel like that until i calculated the numbers and decided that it was a waste of money. to me anyways. again your point is valid. there are still some that think this way and say "what the hell let's buy it". by the way how much is the ppv in hd?

it takes one day for me to get netflix. send it back and you'll get another one in two days. big deal. but i get your point. i used to feel like that until i calculated the numbers and decided that it was a waste of money. to me anyways. again your point is valid. there are still some that think this way and say "what the hell let's buy it". by the way how much is the ppv in hd?

$4.99 for HD, $3.99 for SD.

And I just saw a commercial stating 130 hd channels. I have to laugh everytime I see or hear it.

Direct. Did Charlie lend you his hd calculator????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts