Annual Google IO GoogleTV Post - 2013

DustoMan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 9, 2010
Sparta, Wisconsin, United States
I know there are probably more people that don't care at all about GoogleTV than do, but I'm going to post this here anyway.

So even though it wasn't mentioned at all during the keynote, there is a small bit of GoogleTV news to post about today. GoogleTV is going to be updated to Android version 4.2.2, the latest version available today. (For the moment.) It will also decouple Chrome from the ROM allowing it to be updated through the Play Store and without the need of a new System Update. This means that Chrome will be getting updated roughly every 6 weeks just like it is on Android devices today. Finally, there's some talk that I need to dig a little deeper into, but it sounds like system updates are going to be easier for OEMs to push out. I don't know if that means that Google is relaxing the approval process or if the OEMs are, but this will me that there should now be a matter of weeks from when Google releases a new release of GoogleTV to OEMs and it rolling out to customers instead of the many months it sometimes takes now.All and all, good things for GoogleTV.

Now if devs and content peeps will just get on board more and make some apps!
http://androidcommunity.com/google-tv-update-will-bring-android-4-2-2-jelly-bean-20130515/

UPDATE: So Engadget also checked into what this means for Flash since 4.2.2 and the latest Chrome don't support Flash. Flash support (which is way out of date) is going away in favor of newer technologies.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/15/...campaign=Feed:+weblogsinc/engadget+(Engadget)

Also here's a video of GTV running Jelly Bean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=R-WxHVwodpA

Last edited:
I wish Google would update Chrome for Android to make it more like Chrome for pc's. So you could fool websites into thinking that you're browsing them on a pc and not on an Android device.

Apparently I already did. :( Do you mean to ask whether or not I really want the answer? Yes, I want that too.

Apparently I already did. :( Do you mean to ask whether or not I really want the answer? Yes, I want that too.

Since it's an older piece of hardware made by a company that no longer makes Google TV boxes, you'll get little to no support and it will be less useful than newer boxes. Not the answer you wanted, but I guess it's the one you expected. If I was interested in Googe TV, I would buy one of the Vizio boxes.

Yup; the Logitech Revue was abandoned by Logitech rather early in it's life. I wish Google, with an eye toward GoogleTV history, would take over support. I'm not holding my breath over that happy thought. And my Logitech Revue will stay in the closet. :(

Actually, Google took over making updates for the Revue. I gave mine to my dad and it's still chugging away. There was a period of a couple weeks back in Jan/Feb where the Play Store was screwed up, but they eventually updated it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts