Annual Purchase of HBO Max

Does Dish offer annual subscription to HBO max?

Now that my year $12.99 (or whatever it was) is over I’d love to save $30 for a year subscription.
Hey Miner,

We appreciate you taking the time to reach out with your interest in getting HBO Max added to your account! If you will send our Chat team a message here: Direct Chat they will be able to check your account for any discount offers available to you for adding HBO Max to your DISH account.

Thanks!

Reactions: charlesrshell

Now that my year $12.99 (or whatever it was) is over I’d love to save $30 for a year subscription.
If you subscribe direct to HBO MAX, it is on sale for $104.99 for a year, ad free, with ads it is $69.99.

From the Terms and Conditions of the 40% off offer on the HBO Max website:
"Offers available on hbomax.com and through the following participating subscription providers: Roku, Google Play, Apple and Amazon."

So, Dish is not participating in this, and neither is any other cable or satellite provider. The offer is valid for "New and returning HBO Max customers" so you should still be able to get this deal from them, just not through your Dish subscription.

From the Terms and Conditions of the 40% off offer on the HBO Max website:
"Offers available on hbomax.com and through the following participating subscription providers: Roku, Google Play, Apple and Amazon."

So, Dish is not participating in this, and neither is any other cable or satellite provider. The offer is valid for "New and returning HBO Max customers" so you should still be able to get this deal from them, just not through your Dish subscription.
While true, it is still a $75 a year savings ( 15 x 12 = $180 vs $104.99) over paying monthly to Dish ( or any other providers).

I am amazed that more Traditional Providers do not get upset about these kind of deals since they all offer HBO, who is basically undercutting them, if more people quit getting it from their Live TV Service and goes straight to HBOMAX, then that Provider no longer gets the per sub fees.

While true, it is still a $75 a year savings ( 15 x 12 = $180 vs $104.99) over paying monthly to Dish ( or any other providers).
For me, it would be closer to $50 savings, since I would subscribe to the ad-supported plan. ($9.99 x 12 = $119.88 vs. $69.99) That savings is reduced even further when considering the months throughout the year when I would have dropped the service entirely, only paying for the service when the shows I watch are in season.

I am amazed that more Traditional Providers do not get upset about these kind of deals since they all offer HBO, who is basically undercutting them, if more people quit getting it from their Live TV Service and goes straight to HBOMAX, then that Provider no longer gets the per sub fees.
That was Dish's entire gripe with HBO way back when HBO first launched the HBO Now service. At the time, Dish's price for HBO was approaching $20 per month, and then HBO allowed people to subscribe directly from them for only $14.99 per month. Dish renegotiated, and got HBO to allow Dish to offer HBO for $15 regular price, while also introducing other HBO discount deals to lower the price of the Dish subscription even further. Other cable providers followed suit with similar pricing.

Now, things have gone the other way again. Dish never offered the ad-supported version of HBO Max. Dish also never offered the regular annual subscription discount, even before this 40% off offer was announced. Having gone a couple of years without offering HBO or Cinemax at all, Dish is probably just glad to have those channels back on their service in any form whatsoever.

Then you have to consider the rumor that HBO Max will be merging with Discovery+ some time next year. So, if things continue the way they are with Dish's HBO Max offering, would a Dish HBO subscription also start to include the additional Discovery+ content? (Providing some "added value.") Or would it be time for Dish to renegotiate the HBO contract at that point, since HBO may then be undercutting Dish with an even better service at the same price or at a lower price?

That was Dish's entire gripe with HBO way back when HBO first launched the HBO Now service. At the time, Dish's price for HBO was approaching $20 per month, and then HBO allowed people to subscribe directly from them for only $14.99 per month. Dish renegotiated, and got HBO to allow Dish to offer HBO for $15 regular price, while also introducing other HBO discount deals to lower the price of the Dish subscription even further. Other cable providers followed suit with similar pricing.
That is just incorrect, the price has always been $15, the reason why Dish had HBO removed was because HBO wanted to be paid for a minimum number of subscribers-

The market for HBO has changed since DISH last signed a carriage deal in 2015: HBO set the market price at $15 per month with its launch of the direct-to-consumer HBO Now service; and AT&T has announced plans to launch a new direct-to-consumer HBO service next year.

AT&T is demanding DISH pay for a guaranteed number of subscribers, regardless of how many consumers actually want to subscribe to HBO.

That is just incorrect, the price has always been $15, the reason why Dish had HBO removed was because HBO wanted to be paid for a minimum number of subscribers-
I meant prior to Jan. 14, 2016. So it was $19, but I meant that if the price had kept going up like it had in previous years, then the price soon would have been $20. Other cable providers actually did charge $20 for HBO at one point. Note that in that paragraph, I was referring to HBO Now, not HBO Max.
1660934240081.png

Note that when I said "Dish renegotiated" I was referring to the carriage deal that Dish signed in 2015 (per Scott's quote from your post) hence the price changes at the beginning of 2016.

Discount or not, I wouldn't buy an annual subscription. The new owner Discovery is cutting way back on the number of titles on HBOmax to save money and get tax breaks. All this Discovery CEO cares about are shark week, Chip and Joanna Gaines, and probably 90 day fiancé.
I want to be able to cancel on a month to month basis if it gets too bad.

Discount or not, I wouldn't buy an annual subscription. The new owner Discovery is cutting way back on the number of titles on HBOmax to save money and get tax breaks. All this Discovery CEO cares about are shark week, Chip and Joanna Gaines, and probably 90 day fiancé.
I want to be able to cancel on a month to month basis if it gets too bad.
Yeah, at this point it wouldn't surprise me to see them announce that all upcoming DC Comics movies and TV shows are being cancelled, to be replaced by a new King Shark spinoff (from The Suicide Squad) to be released just in time for Shark Week.

However, I would still do the annual subscription in hopes that existing subscribers will get grandfathered for a better deal, at least for awhile. This would be similar to the way CBS All Access transitioned over to Paramount+. Existing CBS All Access subscribers could keep their $5.99 per month plan, which includes live-streaming the local CBS affiliate. Paramount+'s current plans are a $4.99 per month ad-supported plan (no local CBS live stream included) or you have to go all the way up to the $9.99 per month ad-free plan to get the CBS live stream. (Those prices are from a year ago when I did my free trial of Paramount+, so prices may have increased since then.) Hopefully, existing HBO Max subscribers can be similarly grandfathered, if the new merged options with Discovery+ are less than appealing.

There are still enough DC shows coming up (Titans season 4, Doom Patrol season 4, Pennyworth season 3, Peacemaker season 2, in addition to the currently-airing Harley Quinn season 3) that I feel HBO Max may still be worth it for one more year. However, I am going into those seasons assuming that it will be the final season for every single one of those shows. I could always simply refuse to renew my annual subscription next year, if all of my shows get cancelled by that point.

This is not a case like Locast, where the entire company might be going out of business. I got burned on an annual subscription to Locast last year, and only actually got about half a year. Hopefully, HBO Max would still have something worth streaming during the remainder of the annual subscription, which would technically be during the "five free months" as HBO is advertising the 40% discount.

Memories of the $10 for "life" HBO promo. Of course, that was just HBO, and maybe access to HBO Go, which was an awesome thing back in the day.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Memories of the $10 for "life" HBO promo. Of course, that was just HBO, and maybe access to HBO Go, which was an awesome thing back in the day.
Yeah, that started right after the price decrease I pointed out earlier. Prior to that, Dish had been offering HBO for half price for six months, cutting the $19 price to $9.50 per month.

The other bundle deal they had at that time was both HBO and Cinemax for $20. Since HBO by itself was regularly $19, that effectively made Cinemax only $1 per month. And yes, I am also aware of the Cinemax for $0.01 deal that many here got for a year at a time.

After the HBO price drop to $15, that made the half-price deal only $7.50 per month. I am guessing either HBO or Dish (or both) didn't want to advertise a price that cheap for HBO, so they came up with the $10 deal. This got customers to agree to a higher price, so they could lock in that price for a longer period of time, and still save some money off of the regular price.

That's right. I think I had the half off deal, because it was cheaper. I don't remember if I went $10 for life.

Reactions: pattykay

What did you decide to do?

Stay with getting from Dish or save the $75 by going to MAX online?

Reactions: pattykay
I know I had it on 2 of my DISH accounts, till they raised the price again, after saying it was for the life of my account. :rolleyes:
It may have been for the life of Dish's contract with HBO. If I remember correctly, that deal expired right before HBO and Cinemax were removed from Dish. Any short-term extensions to the contract (while they were still negotiating) may not have included the $10 deal. That was quickly made a moot point when negotiations broke down, and the channels were removed entirely.

What did you decide to do?

Stay with getting from Dish or save the $75 by going to MAX online?
I am passing on HBO for now. I want to get rid of Netflix and if I convince the wife of that, I’ll add HBO thru dish. I like having the TV feed right there without having to search for shows.

For now, there isn’t any programming I can’t live without.