Annual subscription pricing.

-Vic-

Original poster
Dec 19, 2005
Greetings..

This is my first posting but I have been lurking for over a year.

First off, thanks to everyone who contributes. The information passing through here has helped me tremendously!

About a year ago I bought an 811 off ebay. It cost me about a $140. I
scavenged the rest of the dish equipment (dish500) and put together a
system. This started out as an experiment to determine if I could tune in
any of my local OTA HD stations. It actually works satisfactory to my
surprise.

After playing with the receiver about a month to determine it would
benefit me to subscribe I decided to give it a shot for a year. It took
six calls to get the service setup. BTW, a polite guy with a thick India
accent complete the setup. The first 5 calls ended with me hanging up in
frustration. I kept things simple AT60 and HBO for 1 year. HBOHD was
included so that was a bonus. At the time I figured I had to activate a
HD package. They charged me just for the programming with a discount of
around 10% (or about 1 month free). No extra fees/charges/ect. ($451)

I just received an annual renewal notice from Dish notifying me of the new
price for the same programming ($495). I have no problem with the increase, they still gave me an annual discount. This brings me to my questions.

I am assuming the 811 can not receive StarzHD.

I'm thinking about planting another dish for 129 (for StarzHD), buy a 211, and add Starz for a year. The 211 would replace the 811. If I were to do
this, would I have to pay the $6 HD fee ($72/year), or any other fees? Right now I only get charged for the actual programming with the 811
Regarding HD, at this point I really only care about local OTA HD and HBOHD but I might be interested in StarzHD if the only extra expense is the 211 hardware.

I would be very interested to know how dish handles customers who own their
newer HD receivers and pay annually.

Thanks!

-Vic-

BFG has a really good thread that spells out the fees and programming packages. If you like the annual discount (I know I do!) you will probably be disappointed that the DishHD packages do not offer an annual option.

If you get the 211 you will be charged the $6 hd enable fee unless you subscribe to one of the DishHD packages.

You probably already know but you can still get Showtime HD on your 811.

Foxbat said:
BFG has a really good thread that spells out the fees and programming packages. If you like the annual discount (I know I do!) you will probably be disappointed that the DishHD packages do not offer an annual option.
Regretably true of the new Metal packages. Previously you could pay the basic package (60/120/180) and the original HD package as annual. If you added voom that was montlhy.

Thanks for the link to BFG's fees and packages thread. It clarified everything. I now understand why I have seen so many negative threads about the HD fee. I would think Dish would prefer customers to pay annually for HD packages. I'm sure they have a no refund clause in the fine print to their benefit.

I guess I will stick with the old 811 for a little longer.

-Vic-

When I renewed my annual subscription earlier this year, I changed my receiver to the 211 from an old 2700 and added the HD package.

I was told the discounted annual pricing no longer exists and was told that the annual price is now the monthly price x 12.

-Vic- said:
I'm sure they have a no refund clause in the fine print to their benefit.
Somewhere through their web pages I've seen that if they terminate you for cause for some reason or another, they did not have to refund you; and also have seen that it is their option to refund.
intrac said:
I was told the discounted annual pricing no longer exists and was told that the annual price is now the monthly price x 12.
I believe only half of that statement is correct. Although 12 times the monthly amount would be the cost for a year, that will only be true if there is no price increase.

Also, on a annual subscription, you are billed at the beginning on the 12 month period and there is a zero balance for the next 11 months. If you pay 12 months up front, you are billed for 2 months, and have a negative or zero balance for the next 10 months. However, since you have a negative balance, you will not be sent a statement, but you can view your statement online and see the transactions taking place. EDIT: So if during the 12 month period you purchase pay per view or have other charges, you will not receive a statement for these items since you still have a credit (negative) balance, but then you will owe money towards the end of your 12th month.

I have an annual subscription on the Korean Variety Package, but could not get annual subscription on the HD-Silver w/Locals. I wish Dish would offer the annual subscription on all of their packages, even if they did not give you a 1 month discount.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)