Another 119/110/61.5/129 Question - Wiring

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

satinsticksguy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
I currently receive 119/110/61.5 and want to add 129 because, well, you know.....

Current setup is as follows: Dish 500 with DP Plus Twin pointed at 110/119. 61.5 wing dish to DP Plus Twin. There are 2 wires running from dish to house, but only 1 is currently in use going to a separator and 722 receiver.

I have available another dish not connected to my system but pointed at 129. I also have availabe a DP34 switch, 2 DP21 switches, and a couple of DP dual LNB's.

Wiring scenario 1: Connect output of DP Plus Twin to DP34 and connect 129 dish to DP34. Output from DP34 to 2 wires running to house, remove separator and connect wires to 722. Will this work?

Wiring scenario 2: Connect both outputs of of DP Plus Twin to each DP21 and also connect 129 dish to each DP21. Run output of DP21's to house, remove separator, and connect wires to 722. Will this work?

Wiring scenario 3: Remove DP Plus Twin and replace with 2 DP duals. Run output of both duals and 61.5 to DP34. Run 2 outputs of DP34 to DP21's and also connect 129 dish to each DP21. Run outputs of DP21's to house, remove separator, and connect wires to 722.

Which scenarios will work and which one is recommended? Thanks again for all your help and the information available on this site.

Best solution, if you still need 61.5, is DP single/dual for each position, connected to a DPP44.

Second best, DP single/duals to a DP34 and use the DP21s as you described for the fourth one.

I think the DPP Twin is going to have issues with anything beyond its standard single input.

If you don't need 61.5 anymore, just disconnect it and put 129 in its place.

Pepper, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, my HD locals (Columbia, MO) are only available on 61.5. I used to have 110/119/129, and then Dish put my HD locals on 61.5 so I put up another dish for it. That's why there is another dish aimed at 129 but not currently in use.

Since this will hopefully be a temporary situation, I will replace the DPP twin with the duals I have and use the DP21's. Thanks again for the response.

I have debated re-connecting my 61.5 wing to my DPP44 giving me the same complement of orbital slots. But I think I remember someone telling me that there will be conflict between the 61.5 and 129 LNBs since the programming is mirrored to a large extent from those 2 sats. (?) and no way to control which LNB is active for a given duplicated channel (?) Maybe the braintrust here can elucidate.

If there's no issue then I'll reconnect my 61.5 LNB as soon as the snow melts from my roof (currently about 20" deep where 2 of my dishes are mounted!). I have continuing LOS issues w/ 129 that result in less signal strength than I was getting from 61.5, and the resulting occasional break-up / drop-outs, but that's my only current solution for the recently-added HD channels, and likely to be the only solution forever for my HD LiLs, which is what caused me to add that second wing in the first place...

Last year there was a conflict if you had your locals on both eastern and western arcs. It would cause your ota timers not to work with name based recording. Now I can't speak to this changing , but another member said they fixed this via software so it doesn't happen any more.

I have my home town Beaumont/Pt.Arthur ,Tx locals over ota and DISH HD locals from Houston. So it didn't cause me any problems when I had both 129 and 61.5 hooked up. But when I "moved" home to Beaumont and had my locals changed to Beaumont, my ota timers stopped working with name based recording. I removed the 129 lnb and they started working again.

Many other members said this happened to them too and together we helped figure this out. Many dmas were duplicated not just twice, but three times on three different sats, like St.Louis on 118/61.5/129. Hopefully this thread that we discussed this in , did make DISH work on the software to remedy the multiple locations for locals problem. But if you see your ota timers stop working with name based recording and you have locals on both 61.5 and 129 , you will know that they didn't fix the software and you need to disconnect one of them to make your ota timers work again.

Tks for the detail. I'll run the 4th cable from my roof to the DPP44 this spring and see what happens. I rarely use the OTA tuner (can only get 2 channels with it anyway) and almost never record anything from those networks, so maybe it won't be an issue for me.

Still begs the question however: If I'm receiving signals from both 61.5 and 129 for a given HD channel, how will the system select the better signal? Is that even possible? That's really the root of my "problem". I'd like it to default to 61.5 for every duplicated channel and only select 129 for those channels unique to that sat. including my HD LiLs...

AFAIK my DMA HD channels are only on 129. Seemed ironic since many in this DMA have LOS issues to 129. Might have been a capacity issue at 61.5 however. (I need to confirm they are not also on either 72.7 or 77 however, but at the time they went live almost a year ago neither was mentioned as an option, maybe because EA was reserved for only new customers?)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)