Another 522 backup thread (all hypothetical)

Getut

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
Ok.. sorry to start all this yet again, but I've been thinking.

With all the smart people out there, isn't beating this hard drive encryption thing so that legitimate backups can be made thing pretty simple? If someone that knows what their doing with the streams has the encrypted stream on the hard drive, and then unencrypted stream as it is shown on the television, then isn't the encryption just about useless? Can't the "keys" used to encrypt it be found relatively easily?

I, and no doubt many others, would love to have access to the streams to burn to DVD as backup, or transfer to the computer.

'Simple' is relative. For some using Linux and taking their boxes apart *that own them* thus voiding the E* liability factor. Yes.

To the average joe/jolene user that doesn't know how to program a VCR remote. NO.

The easiest way is to capture the stream to an external DVR(computer) and burn it to DVD or go the old fashioned way and record it to VHS tape. (Both requiring composite or 75-ohm output to recording device)

All moving parts fail sooner or later. We know that all too well. (some more than others) :D

Getut said:
...If someone that knows what their doing with the streams has the encrypted stream on the hard drive, and then unencrypted stream as it is shown on the television, then isn't the encryption just about useless? Can't the "keys" used to encrypt it be found relatively easily?

I think you're a bit confused in some of your ideas here. Having the decrypted analog video output versus having access to the decrypted mpeg stream (digitally intact) are two different things entirely.

Getut said:
I, and no doubt many others, would love to have access to the streams to burn to DVD as backup, or transfer to the computer.

The problem is that since the DCMA lacks a fair use clause, subverting just about any type of digital protection mechanism (i.e. decss) is patently illegal, and no one wants to challenge the law and risk imprisonment / fines / legal expenses just to backup videos. Especially when you're talking about plain old SD video, and in the case of the 522 / 625 video with unwanted mpeg errors and audio dropouts. :no

Getut said:
With all the smart people out there, isn't beating this hard drive encryption thing so that legitimate backups can be made thing pretty simple? If someone that knows what their doing with the streams has the encrypted stream on the hard drive, and then unencrypted stream as it is shown on the television, then isn't the encryption just about useless? Can't the "keys" used to encrypt it be found relatively easily?

Technically, what you are asking is illegal due to the DMCA as phat_bastard noted. It is illegal to circumvent encryption techniques. It is illegal for me to watch DVDs on my Linux box because I have to defeat the CSS encryption used or purchase a copy of the only now available PowerDVD for Linux. Even setting it up to capture the decrypted stream from the system could be considered a violation. I strongly believe this law is BS, but since it hasn't been challenged yet, there is little we can do. Also, since the courts struck down the digital flag requirement on RECORDED broadcast programs, they may do the same with some of the DMCA. We can only hope OR pay a lawyer to fight it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)