Another Dish Nightmare

2x10

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
After being with dish for over 7 years, I have just about had it!!!!!
Finally Pittsburgh gets HD locals, but no one can get them.

Called Tech rep on 12/14 to schedule a new 1000 plus install with a DPP 44 switch. Install scheduled for 12/18. Working 6 days a week, I had 1 day to take care of business. Install was scheduled 12 - 5 pm. I waited around til 515 and called Dish ---- answer ----- Install guy is running late and will be there in 45 min. at 610, I get a call from dispatch saying that installation is cancelled and there is nothing we can do. I flipped, but to no prevail, I had to reschedule. I called another tech rep who was rather nice and he credited me for 1 month of service. OK FINE, now all I have to do is reschedule --- right ---- NOT!!!! Next day off I could be at home was Sun 1/7. I reschedule on 1/5 for another 12 -5 slot. So I decide to call Dish at about 1 pm just to see. Well, I was rescheduled without any phone call to next Sunday!!!!! I am not available next Sunday..... So I call Tech and speak with a sarcastic rep who says that someone called and left a message that the 1000 plus dishes are out of stock and that no one would be coming. Checked caller ID and NO ONE called.... So I waisted another day waiting for NO ONE!!!!!!
I called ANOTHER tech guy today to RESCHEDULE again for my next day off of 1/16 and I told the rep I want someone at my door at 8 am. I was given a SEMI promise that I would be the first install on that date and the 1000 plus should be in stock by that time.

I have been without SD locals now for 1 month ------- I did have an OTA antenna for HD locals, but on the initial install, I took the antenna down cause I wouldn't need it anymore. NOT I guess when they submit the contract for new 118 satellite, you lose your SD locals.

I am going to give this one more try, cause these damn dish people have us strapped!!!!!! Most HD channels etc......

It's beginning to not matter anymore, losing my long distance locals and now this poor customer service Direct is looking better and better every day!!!!!

Just thought I would share!!!!!!!

I had a similar problem. First time, they called me about 3 hours into the appointment scheduled time frame - no equipment in stock. They reschedule me about two weeks later. I wait until an hour before the latest time they were to arrive. I call and they said that someone called the night before to reschedule, again no equipment in stock. This time, however, nobody called the night before, and they also said not only were they out of dishes but DVRs as well. The next appointment was over three weeks later. Only after e-mailing ceo@echostar.com, was I finally called by a supervisor of installers for the region who assured me that new receievers and dishes would be in stock for my next appointment and that he would see to it my equipment would be reserved. I wish I still had that phone number on my caller ID so I could give it to you, but I have long since erased it. The main point of all of this is -- why schedule appointments if you don't have the equipment? It would be like a restaurant taking reservations, but not having any food - and you had to take a sick day at work to go !

Oh and BTW, certain Pittsburgh HD channels, most noticeable on WPXI, have odd pixel squares that show up from time to time. Very annoying.
I hope they work out on their own as I don't want to have to wait two months for a tech to come out and do guesswork.

Leave your OTA antenna connected.

Why disassemble the highest quality feed you have?

Have you had a look at that monstrosity of a dish they want to install to get 118.

After 2 different installers were here giving me reasons why I couldn’t get a 1000+ installed do to line of site issues I requested a supervisor to come out. He said there was not a line of site issue since I have 61.5 and don’t need 129 but after showing me how this monster of a dish was going to be mounted on my house I decided to just use my OTA.

Even if I would have gotten the 1000+, or in my case the 500+, I would certainly not take down my antenna. It gives you a Dish backup and also would allow you to record three local HD channels at once.

The last tech, who knew what he was doing, said there are a lot of places in the Pittsburgh area where they just can’t install this big thing.

I just hope Dish gives up on these low powered satellites and moves the locals somewhere better – like 61.5.

I live too far away from Pittsburgh to get all the locals at once or even at all! I dont have one of those rotator motors for the antenna and I was only able to get ABC, NBC out of Johnstown and CBS and only 1 at a time!!!!! I had the best antenna money could buy with a signal booster mounted. It was too much of a hassle for me.

Anyways, after 2 more no shows and two "no-calls" pretending to reschedule. Mr. Dish Guy finally showed up and gave me the monstrosity of the 1000+

The locals are horrendous, but I guess it takes a few months to tweek new HD locals

I did have a Direct TV appointment scheduled just in case!!!!!!

Actually if you order the prime rib after 7:00PM they're usually out, but if you're lucky, occasionally they might find that last cut in the back and get it out to you. But you know how it is.