Another Dumb Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rustolemite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 8, 2004
Pineville, LA
For the last year I have gotten my HD networks from the East Coast Long Distance Networks, but just moved into an area where I get my local channels and my networks in HD... so here's my dumb question would there by any difference in the picture quality from the East Coast HD networks to my local HD networks ? Like I said dumb question.

Thanks

Rustolemite

The east coast DNS are still MPEG2, and your new locals are MPEG4, so yes, you probably would see improved PQ with your MPEG4 locals. MPEG4 blows MPEG2 away.

Thanks for the repsonse, I haven't had a chance to watch many network shows yet so I can't make a comparison but was curious if there is any difference.. does it matter what market you get your locals in ?? I'm in New Orleans.

Thanks

My Buffalo MPEG4 local HD channels look just as good as OTA to me. I've never seen the NYC MPEG2 locals that you've been getting, but I do have the other MPEG2 national channels from D* (ESPN, TNT) and there is a huge PQ difference IMHO. Maybe someone from N.O. will read and respond on the local PQ.

It also depends on what your local affiliate is doing with the signal before DirecTV gets it. If you have lots of subchannels and they are overcompressing the picture, it won't help. DirecTV can't make the picture better than OTA, so if OTA is worse in New Orleans, you will see it. If, however, the New Orleans OTA channels are pristine, you should see little to no difference in OTA vs LIL or New York to New Orleans.

since I switched from the HD Long Distant Networks to getting my HD networks from local channels in New Orleans, should my dish need to be moved at all for the signal ... and what sat do the locals come in on so I can check the signal strength?

Thanks

Rustolemite

since I switched from the HD Long Distant Networks to getting my HD networks from local channels in New Orleans, should my dish need to be moved at all for the signal ... and what sat do the locals come in on so I can check the signal strength?

Thanks

Rustolemite

You should now have the 5 lnb dish and your locals should be coming from the 99 or 103 sat which are all mpeg 4 channels at this time.

Jimbo

explain the sub channels ...how can you find out what they are doing with the signal ??

Thanks

If your local station puts out one HD channel, an SD channel and a weather channel, you may have degraded picture quality on the HD channel. This is because the other two channels are consuming part of the allotted bandwidth.

If your local station puts out one HD channel, an SD channel and a weather channel, you may have degraded picture quality on the HD channel. This is because the other two channels are consuming part of the allotted bandwidth.

For each HD network they have theres a SD channel plus 5 other channels ...

Anybody else have New Orleans locals ?

Like I said dumb question.

Rustolemite

No there are no dumb question...just like the follwing...

How important does a person have to be before they are considered assassinated instead of just murdered?

Why is it that people say they "slept like a baby" when babies wake up like every two hours?

Why do people pay to go up tall buildings and then put money in binoculars to look at things on the ground?

If Jimmy cracks corn and no one cares, why is there a stupid song about him?

If Wile E. Coyote had enough money to buy all that ACME crap, why didn't he just buy dinner?

This brings up a question. If a local has several subchannels, couldn't they send the uncompressed HD to DirecTV before they mess with it for OTA?

This brings up a question. If a local has several subchannels, couldn't they send the uncompressed HD to DirecTV before they mess with it for OTA?

They could, but often don't. Most local channels are processed through OTA antennas at one station in the market. This would mean that OTA (compressed) signal was the only option for all but one of the stations. For that station, providing the signal prior to subchanneling would possibly be cost-prohibitive.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts