Another failed Direct TV install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Toyzruskid1976

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
Dayton, OH
I'm at a loss. My neighbor FINALLY cut down all his trees leaving me with a perfect line of site (a reason why I couldn't go with Direct years ago. The installer came out and immediately talked about a roof install. I informed him I could not have a roof install due to my condo rules. I said it had to be a side mount. He told me he could not do a side mount with the brackets they supplied due to the fact that I had stuccoboard. He pulled out his bracket and showed me. I told him that was funny because Dish Network did my install TWICE and had no problem. I only cancelled because the tree growth got too bad. He told me that DTs satellites weighed more and therefor I should just stick with Dish Network. REALLY? He also proceeded to say thanks because he wasn't getting paid for the visit. I told him I informed the sales rep AND the customer service rep who confirmed my apt that I had a condo with written permission and that the install had to be done as a side mount. He said they don't get paid to make those decisions. I give up. I called DT to cancel and they wanted to schedule another appointment. Since I had to take time off work I said no way.

Tech is right, no installing the ka/ku on stukko. Its roof or pole or no go. See if your association will allow a pole in the ground, then reschedule and make sure the order is noted NEEDS POLE MOUNT DUE TO HOME OWNERS ASSOCIATION caps help lol, also be prepared to bay the installer another 75$ to do the pole mount, this type of labor is not included in standard installation. Depending on how far the pole needs to be you may be charged by the foot for cable burial. I think 10' is included

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Tech is right, no installing the ka/ku on stukko. Its roof or pole or no go. See if your association will allow a pole in the ground, then reschedule and make sure the order is noted NEEDS POLE MOUNT DUE TO HOME OWNERS ASSOCIATION caps help lol, also be prepared to bay the installer another 75$ to do the pole mount, this type of labor is not included in standard installation. Depending on how far the pole needs to be you may be charged by the foot for cable burial. I think 10' is included

I had my Aunt's setup installed a few years ago and cables needed to be put in the ground. The installer said it would be $50 or I could dig for free. So I did the digging.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

I had my Aunt's setup installed a few years ago and cables needed to be put in the ground. The installer said it would be $50 or I could dig for free. So I did the digging.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

Yup, I've see them go for a dollar a foot I think it was.

Yea last i new the recommended price was 75, a tech could charge you whatever they want under that however.

Sometimes they are free.

IF he KNEW for a fact that he has LOS , he could plant the pole himself and have it ready when they got there.
As long as it's 2" OD and plumb with LOS, he's good.

I'm just lost. This guy "COULD" have made it work. Dish Network installed a HUGE dish on my patio and did it in a way that he could hang on the damn dish and it wouldn't move. This guy was just pissed that it wasn't a 1-2-3 roof mount. It was like he was purposely complaining that he only knew how to do Roof Mounts and that anyone who didn't want a roof mount was an idiot. I told him there are 165 units in my condo association and there are TONS of other people with my same unit who have Direct TV and every one of them had no issues finding a place on the trim to get the install done. Some of them were bracket to trim and 2 anchor rods to underside of the roof overhang. I told him I had an installer come out 4 years ago who had a perfect place to hang it but when he wanted 250 dollars to run the cable through the attic I told him no thanks. (Now that I'm 250 lbs lighter I would have had no problem climbing up in the attic sitting on the other side of the wall to grab the cord and run it down the wall to the box) When I called DTV to cancel they wanted to send a site supervisor out there. They also told me they had other brackets they could have sent out with the installer to do various other types of installs. I asked WHY DIDN'T THEY DO THAT TO START WITH. Seriously. I told the sales man, and I told the guy who called to confirm the appointment. They had all this information. I really felt bad he wasn't getting paid for his time, but in all honesty... if he really wanted the money he would have found a way to get that satellite installed. I'm half tempted to call a local company in Dayton to get them to do the install. I just don't know if I want to go through the hassle.

note... the dish had to be installed on a patio. I don't have any ground for a pole mount unless he wanted to bracket the pole to the side of my condo.

Would they mount the pole to the house? I don't have a place where they could dig since it's a concrete patio. I talked to another neighbor and he said I just had a crappy installer and that he had a site supervisor come out to do his install with no troubles as far as side mounting it.

Something like this would work on your deck/patio. Besides it being fuggly you would probably have to spring for the cost.

non pen mount.jpg

*If your patio is concrete you could do away with blocks & anchor it directly. This would also allow you dress it up with some low profile potted plants around it.

Last edited:
I'm just lost. This guy "COULD" have made it work. Dish Network installed a HUGE dish on my patio and did it in a way that he could hang on the damn dish and it wouldn't move.

You're correct. He "COULD" have made it work. The fact remains is that DirecTV (and DISH) very specifically state that installs are not to be done onto stucco. I fully understand you really don't give 2 bits about that rule. What remains is the installer is not going to risk getting wrote up/terminated/charged back because you couldn't get your installation done for free, and I don't blame him nor should you.

Additionally, it doesn't matter what customer service or sales associates say over the phone. Unless they are there to do the site survey, they can't dictate what kind of mounts can be used.

I don't know the attitude of the tech that was dispatched, but a good tech would have given you options, even if he wasn't capable of doing that day. And depending on what rules the installation companies are enforcing for that season, sometimes its just not possible.

Well said spaceghost. I think op really needs to understand as an installer our priority is keeping our jobs secure and making sure to turn a profit on our labor and not dealing with our superiors for not following our rules. Not to do what the cust wants after we advise them it is not the proper way to have it done.

It was the attitude I got from the installer. The moment I told him my association did not allow roof mounts (Even after telling the sales person, and the woman who called to confirm the appointment) said he could not do the install. I live in a development with 165 condos. We all have the same basic layout. There are numerous people in the division with Direct TV. Infact... my neighbors on either side of me have Direct TV. Unfortunately each of them have unique installs (One is an end unit so the dish is on the ground on a platform, the other was mounted on what the guy called the "stink pipe".) I took a half day off. I flat out told them the conditions of the install over the phone. I would have preferred if he said "Let me call my area supervisor to see how we can do this" Instead he insisted over and over and over to go back to Dish Network. He also kept rubbing it in my face over and over that he wasn't getting paid for this visit and it was basically a waste of his time and he was tired of the sales people selling people up the river. That's not my fault. I'm just as much out of work as he is, the only difference is I'm the customer and not the employee whose job includes these issues. I wish I could find the pictures I had of the previous dishes I had installed to show how they were installed. These were HUGE dishes. I'm tempted to call back and ask that a site manager come out, but I just don't want any more frustration. The phone calls after the fact were the ones that irritated me. The installer company stated they had a ton of different install options and there were many other mounts and brackets they could use and they would send them out on the next trip. Why couldn't they have done that with the first trip? I know it's a lost cause, I just want away from Time Warner. What ever happened to the days where you could go to Radio Shack and buy the kits yourself? I'd be willing to take full ownership of the install.

It was the attitude I got from the installer. The moment I told him my association did not allow roof mounts (Even after telling the sales person, and the woman who called to confirm the appointment) said he could not do the install. I live in a development with 165 condos. We all have the same basic layout. There are numerous people in the division with Direct TV. Infact... my neighbors on either side of me have Direct TV. Unfortunately each of them have unique installs (One is an end unit so the dish is on the ground on a platform, the other was mounted on what the guy called the "stink pipe".) I took a half day off. I flat out told them the conditions of the install over the phone. I would have preferred if he said "Let me call my area supervisor to see how we can do this" Instead he insisted over and over and over to go back to Dish Network. He also kept rubbing it in my face over and over that he wasn't getting paid for this visit and it was basically a waste of his time and he was tired of the sales people selling people up the river. That's not my fault. I'm just as much out of work as he is, the only difference is I'm the customer and not the employee whose job includes these issues. I wish I could find the pictures I had of the previous dishes I had installed to show how they were installed. These were HUGE dishes. I'm tempted to call back and ask that a site manager come out, but I just don't want any more frustration. The phone calls after the fact were the ones that irritated me. The installer company stated they had a ton of different install options and there were many other mounts and brackets they could use and they would send them out on the next trip. Why couldn't they have done that with the first trip? I know it's a lost cause, I just want away from Time Warner. What ever happened to the days where you could go to Radio Shack and buy the kits yourself? I'd be willing to take full ownership of the install.

you can still buy the parts and do a self install, look at the top of the page for sponsors

That's the vent pipe for the septic/sewer system. Many are plastic and should never be used for mounting ANYTHING. Even if it's a cast iron pipe, they aren't a proper mount for a satellite dish. I doubt it would pass a qc inspection.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)