Another FiOS TV Review

program guide is 14 days.

some people have both hd net and hd net movies. for some reason some areas have hd net blacked out. in my guide it says hd net, but it really is hd net movies.

i will take some pictures of the sd later tonight. i have a window right behind the tv that makes day time pictures difficult. tv is a 55 inch sony lcd rear projection. it is 788p.

imagine a good off air digital signal. that is what the sd channel look like.

have not had dish in over a year. had brighthouse cable previously. nothing to compare it to for side by side pics. it is just amazing when you first see it.

Trevorm7 said:
NICE! When are they going to change the internet packages for the higher speeds? Is this everywhere or just certain places? So 15/2 will be 35 and 30/5 will be 50 and 60/5 will be 200? This is great!

And the tv will be awesome too!

did not give a date. i would consider this a rumor until we hear something official.

HDTVFanAtic said:
I have not followed this. Can you supply a link or explain what the issue is with HDNET? As both are on the same transponder, if one is there, not sure what the problem with the other could be.

Also note that in some Verizon areas HDNet isn't offered and this is because of a few blackout issues that will be fixed soon and when that occurs HDNet will be offered everywhere that has access to Verizon FIOS TV service.
http://www.longhornxp.net/Verizon.html

I'm also hearing about the internet service changes. They are looking at many different pricing plans and service offerings but they also want to strike a balance. They want customers to have many choices for both speed and prices but they also don't want too have so many choices that customers get overwhelmed with it. These are the packages I'm hearing will be coming soon within the next six months.

5/2 package will be 29.99/month.
15/2 package will be 39.99/month.
30/5 package will be 49.99/month.

I'm also hearing that the highest package will be 45/10 and it will be priced at 99.99/month. None of the prices above have a discount so if you have TV or a phone freedom package you can take 5 bucks a month off each package above except the 45/10 package. The 45/10 package will be 89.99/month if you get TV service or a freedom package.

Now again this is all rumor but its what I'm hearing. I've been told that the higher 180/month package just isn't selling at all so they feel its better to get 90/month from many customers compared to 50. Nearly all customers so far (99%) aren't paying more than 50/month. The few 1% of customers paying more than 50 a month are in the LI, NY market with the 30/5 package at around 60-70/month. They are banking that enough customers would be willing to pay 90/month for those speeds. They are also getting a very good take rate in LI, NY with the 60/month 30/5 plan. But the key is that they are just going to get rid of the 180/month pricing because its getting no business at all. If they could get even 10% of internet customers to pay 90/month they could really do quite a bit with those profits after a year or so as they reinvest that money into newer areas to built the rest of the network.

They are also looking at a better bundle option for freedom phone package, 45/10 internet and TV service. I'm hearing that they are looking at this triple play reducing the internet by 30 bucks a month via the bundle. They are looking at everything because they know that most customers won't be using that amount of bandwidht 24/7 so if this would allow them to have a customer paying 200/month for the triple play they would be thrilled. All I can say is that they are looking at ways to just kill the cable companies but they are holding out on doing this until they find out if a federal based franchise agreement might come into play. That is the key to this because when as many customers as possible can get access to the triple play they will ramp up their installation forces and offer one sweet bundle to switch. One focus they are making is to not offer promos so if they do offer discounts besides one free month it will be in bundles that will never expire pricewise.

They will just focus on making their bundles more attractive if they start losing customers and/or cable strikes back. They are clear that they nor do customers like promos as they will always be at risk when that time comes. Its better to give smaller bundle discounts and lock in the price for two years.

Thanks for the info, that 45/10 package looks really tempting at that price. Brighthouse charges 60$ for their 10/1 package, If I were paying that much for that I'd pay an extra 20$ a month for 45/10 hehe.

Can't wait!

Verizon need to do the following Internet speeds (up and down) and prices per month:

15/15-$30
30/30-$40
45/45-$50
60/60-$60

Also, this may be wishful thinking, but i would love to see Verizon buy out Directv from News Corp, fire the entire management/engineering team, sign a deal w/ TiVo w/ ALL features activated AND an epg w/ multi-PIP, and get a nationwide franchise agreement deal done. FTTH nationwide from Verizon w/ good customer service would beat the pants off Charter, Comcast, Time Warner, etc...:)

Mr_Crowley said:
Anyone know when north Jersey will get FiOS? Is there a website that has timetables for when areas will get it?

Yes, and yes. There are several towns in Bergen County in NJ that have FiOS currently available. I'm not sure if they're offering their TV service in this area yet. I'm in Montvale, NJ and I've seen Verizon crews running fiber lines around the utility poles in my area. I'm hoping I'll be able to get their internet service within a month or two (no idea what their time table is by me).

Here's a site that lists cities that currently have FiOS available or it is known that Verizon is currently deploying their new lines: http://www.fioslive.com/

Also, on the BBR website forum, they have a map where members there are reporting when they have FiOS installed: http://www.dslreports.com/gmaps/fios

You can always goto Verizon's FiOS page and put your phone # in to see if you currently qualify. If not, it will offer to put you on their waiting list and they'll contact you when it's available to you: http://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHome/channels/Fios/HighSpeedInternetForHome.asp

Reconize that box and guide. Same box used by Comcast. Also that is the microsoft guide used by Comcast here in Seattle area. I do not care for it. Like Dish guide and box TONS better! I was hoping for a different guide. They are testing it here no in Seattle. Think I will hold off.

I Disagree!!!

VZ is a great stock, but I have some problems with their FIOS

Let me offer a few different points:

1) They won't share with other ISPs (Earthlink, etc.)

2) They only allow access to the verizon.net domain for email (If you have your own domain somewhere, you must get a business account to download your email)

3) How much remote access do they allow when you travel?

4) Their DVR has only a 160 GB drive and has problems with Dolby 5.1 over HDMI

5) No VOOM

6) No SIRIUS music (I wish Charlie would work something out with them so Dish could offer more of SIRIUS' channels)

7) In the event of a power outage, your telephone depends upon your battery back-up for operation.

8) In closing, old Charlie has a formidable product offering, and some things will have to change before I switch to FIOS - and yes, I can get it now!

Flame away, but this how I feel.

--Doug

I had posted that they were doing all the mains for FIOS in some of the suburbs of Buffalo NY, no activations or even metion of them yet. When i posted that news, had a few replys from members here saying that us "fios" posters act like its the "second coming" LOL Sounds to me , like it might be, compared to "current" sat qualitys and offers. ;)

Oh and if you notice my sig, thats how i make my living, so why would i be pro fios? :confused: It is the future, as far as this tech guy goes. :(

datwell said:
VZ is a great stock, but I have some problems with their FIOS

Let me offer a few different points:

1) They won't share with other ISPs (Earthlink, etc.)

So what? Most couldnt handle the bandwidth FIOS gives you anyway. I wouldnt get a 30Mbps Fios account to access another ISP at 5Mbps.

datwell said:
2) They only allow access to the verizon.net domain for email (If you have your own domain somewhere, you must get a business account to download your email)

Use a vpn or alternative port

datwell said:
3) How much remote access do they allow when you travel?

Easy to work around, depending on your reference to remote access.

datwell said:
4) Their DVR has only a 160 GB drive and has problems with Dolby 5.1 over HDMI

Most all DVR are limited to the same - the 5.1 over HDMI is HDCP spec - get used to it - you ain't seen nothing yet.

datwell said:
5) No VOOM

I have virtually all the Voom offerings from when they had decent bitrate. Until I see a bunch more - big whoop.

I'd much rather have EAST AND WEST COAST feed of HBO-HD/Showtime-HD/StarzHD/CinemaxHD/TMC-HD and the others such as MHD that E* doesnt have.

datwell said:
6) No SIRIUS music (I wish Charlie would work something out with them so Dish could offer more of SIRIUS' channels)

BIG WHOOP.... I'd get FIOS for quality, not a crappy sounding 192k MP3 sound with a crappy old codec.

Screw Sirius - let them get a REAL quality music package that they have the bandwidth to transmit. Go get a Sirius sub at $12 if it concerns you so much.

datwell said:
7) In the event of a power outage, your telephone depends upon your battery back-up for operation.

And that is about the only legit thing you have listed - but lets see - what telephone operation does Dish or Directv have? Hmmmm.....local cable is in same problem area.

I guess if Hurricane hits he's screwed and will have to use his cellphone - odds are he will have to anyway as the telephone lines would be down for Verizon POTS customers.

And what have you done for TV this past week while the sun takes out your E* service EVERYDAY as it will next week and in the Fall again.

There is more time down there than FIOS phone service will most likely be out.

datwell said:
8) In closing, old Charlie has a formidable product offering, and some things will have to change before I switch to FIOS - and yes, I can get it now!

You have clearly partaken of the Kool-Aid

Last edited:
datwell said:
What? You can't download email via POP from another server, is this for real?!?!? (ex: gmail's POP3 server?)

ElCapitanAmerica said:
What? You can't download email via POP from another server, is this for real?!?!? (ex: gmail's POP3 server?)

I suspect the poster confused operating a mail server on a residential account, which is not allowed on most residential accounts for most ISPs anyway as it is not listed in the FIOS TOS on their webpage. Considering his other arguements, this mistake wouldn't surprise me.

I suspect Port 25 is blocked incoming but not outgoing on the residential accounts. I wish more Broadband Services would do this as so many residential accounts are turned into spambots. RoadRunner and other Broadband services have the same blocks in place.

Many ISPs will not even accept email from MailServers on Residential IPs, which also might be what the original poster is confused about. AOL and others have these blocks in place now.

I have no firsthand knowledge of it, but as the original poster said he is not a sub, he has no first hand knowledge of his statement either.

HDTVFanAtic said:
So what? Most couldnt handle the bandwidth FIOS gives you anyway. I wouldnt get a 30Mbps Fios account to access another ISP at 5Mbps.

That right, you could access 6 other ISPs at 5Mbps, and have full bandwidth on all 6 streams!!!!!!!!!!!! OH YEAH!!!!! :hungry:

-John

i added more thought about the hd pvr to to my thoughts. here is what i added on the main page.

EDIT ON 3/13/06, 10:05 - I have had a little time to play with the HD DVR. As some have reported, the interface could use a little work. For example, my biggest complaint about it is this. It goes out 14 days, however, say I was looking at tomorrow’s listings (Tuesday 3/14); it identifies the date as "Tuesday". Now if I go to the next Tuesday (3/21), it still only identifies itself as "Tuesday". I feel they should also list the date (3/14 or 3/21).

Another thing I noticed, but have not had a lot of time to play around with is this. I had two recordings set up last night for the Sopranos and Desperate Housewives. Both start at 9pm. I had it on HBO at around 855 and a message came up asking if I wanted to switch to the Desperate Housewives channel or delete the Sopranos recording. Not wanting to mess with it last night, I just choose to cancel the Sopranos recording as I was watching it live. I can't figure out why it was asking me to choose between the two as it will record two programs at once and I had it on one of the channels that it was recording. I will test more later on.

wow that is the same hd dvr that adelphia puts out to there customers, yeah you are right about the sd channels and hd channels great for pic quality, the best part i like about it is dual tuner and only takes one coax from the cable company, and the video on demand has great pic quality also :)

korsjs said:
Sorry about some of the pictures coming out blurry.

Class act on your review, it was very detailed and informing... Got a question for us sports junkies.
1. Does the Tampa area FiOS carry both FSNFL and Sun Sports or do they shortchange viewers of FSNFL, like Brighthouse does?
2. Do they carry the Sports package of RSNs like DirecTV & DISH?
3. Do they allow you to subscribe to sports packages like Extra Innings or Center Ice?

I don't think we have it in this area of the State yet, but had some sports questions.