Another glitch with the 522?

Shadowtester

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
Ok I have had my 522 for a little over 1 month now and a couple of time in the last couple of weeks I have turned the unit on and have been greeted with warning message. The warning states that the receiver needs to be connected to a phone line to prevent an additional charge for the 2nd outlet. I have exited out of the warning and proceeded to the diagnostic section and checked the phone connection no problem I have also checked the dial outs and none are pending. I called customer service and they asked if I had a modem connected to the phone line or if it was connected to a cellular phone. I told them no its a normal land line and I use cable internet so no modem connection only thing conneted to the phone line is a answering machine. The last call out was on 8/29 software L205 any ideas they told me if it continues to call the installers tech suport line and have them check the receiver. I guess this is just another problem in the long list of bugs in the 522.

They billed me a "not connected to phone line" charge once. I was connected, and told them so. My caller id log is full of entries to back me up. They wanted me to go force the thing to call out occassionally ("test phone line" is it?) to avoid the charge in the future. I said nope ... if you want your stupid thing to phone home then you need to fix it so it phones home on it's own! They credited the charge and I haven't seen them try to charge it again.

its never popped up for me. granted i use my 522 less and less now that i have my other buggy reciever... but ive never seen the message (my 811 isnt as buggy as i say)

I talked to my Dishnetwork installers Tech support they suggested that I leave the unit on over night for a few night and see if it does a call home. According to them the unit should call home at least once per month and that happens in the middle of the night and shutting it off at night might be causing the problem. I have the unit setup in single mode only feeding 1 TV and have a universal remote with a macro that turns everything on and configures it for viewing and also a macro that shuts everything down at night when I am finished. I don't use the caller ID function since my phone has that but I guess I will start as a backup to prove the connection.

My 522 does this when I have unanswered voice mails. I think it doesn't like the stuttered dial-tone. Once I clear the messages, it doesn't complain anymore.

Don't have voice mail just caller ID and as for a macro that depends on your remote I have a Home Theater Master MX-700 universal remote and setting up macros are very easy with it. I don't use the factory remote I don't think the original remote is capable of doing macros

I think your problem is shutting it down every night. If you still want to shut it down every night I'd enable the updates (Menu - 8 - 5) for like 10 minutes ahead of your current time and let it run and then disable it again after its finished at least every couple of weeks.

Shadowtester said:
I talked to my Dishnetwork installers Tech support they suggested that I leave the unit on over night for a few night and see if it does a call home.
Funny. Dish Tech support told me that I SHOULD shut the thing down at night "because it doesn't work very well if you don't" !!!

I have had the "can't phone home" message 3 times so far with the phone continuously connected and a check of the phone line returning OK. So far no extra charge. The 522 is shut off almost every night. No voice mail so no stutter tone.

I do have poor quality phone lines that top out with a 14.4 modem connection.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)