Another HD upgrade question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

twotone7777

Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
First off, nice forum, I have lurked for many years.

Now to my questions:
I have gotten an email saying that D wants to upgrade my old HD receivers for new ones at no cost. Great.:) That is what I have been waiting for.
What I would like to know is if they will just send me the new equipment(dish/receivers) or will I have to have it installed through them?

I have read that the new dish is a pain or impossible to install myself. BUT, by house is a two story house. I had to install the 3lnb dish at the very top, on the chimney. I have to do this in order to get over all of my trees. There is no way this would be called a normal installation. I had to borrow something like a 36 foot ladder and lay it on the roof line in order to get to the peak. Ugh. Plus the whole problem with being here for the install.

Do I just have to make sure the CSR understands the severity of the install for when they set up the appointment, or will they just send me the stuff? Then at least I could try and get some local installer guy to do it. That way I can fully explain the install to them.

I am just concerned that I will take a day off work, the installer shows up, says they cannot do it since it is where it is, then have to reschedule, etc.

Whatcha think? And thanks for the responses in advanced.

Now to my questions:
I have gotten an email saying that D wants to upgrade my old HD receivers for new ones at no cost. Great.:) That is what I have been waiting for.
What I would like to know is if they will just send me the new equipment(dish/receivers) or will I have to have it installed through them?

I have read that the new dish is a pain or impossible to install myself. BUT, by house is a two story house. I had to install the 3lnb dish at the very top, on the chimney. I have to do this in order to get over all of my trees. There is no way this would be called a normal installation. I had to borrow something like a 36 foot ladder and lay it on the roof line in order to get to the peak. Ugh. Plus the whole problem with being here for the install.

Do I just have to make sure the CSR understands the severity of the install for when they set up the appointment, or will they just send me the stuff? Then at least I could try and get some local installer guy to do it. That way I can fully explain the install to them.

I am just concerned that I will take a day off work, the installer shows up, says they cannot do it since it is where it is, then have to reschedule, etc.

You can always have an independant installer do the work.
Personally, I would look to see if there is any other location to put the dish, maybe at the corner of the property line some other route around the trees.

Jimbo

I had one receiver out of 6 that was eligible for the free upgrade. When the order was set up, I asked if the box could just be sent to me so I could swap it out. They (D*) stated that no the upgrade requires a visit by an installer.

I questioned that because I've swapped out many other boxes without issue. She stated sorry, that's how it has to work.

OK? Guy showed up spent 10 mins and left.

As far as your dish swap, Go with Jimbo's suggestion. that may be your best route.

OK.

How do I go about setting that up? I know an independant installer that did a job for a friend. How do I get D* to set it up with him?

You don't. D* won't let you choose an installer that I've ever heard of.

If you use the independent guy, you pay him.

I'd let the installer come out, and talk to them about it. If they are unwilling to do the roof job, perhaps they will leave you the dish so you can pay someone to do it and alread have the equipment. Unusual, but possible?

You don't. D* won't let you choose an installer that I've ever heard of.

If you use the independent guy, you pay him.

I'd let the installer come out, and talk to them about it. If they are unwilling to do the roof job, perhaps they will leave you the dish so you can pay someone to do it and alread have the equipment. Unusual, but possible?

All he should have to do is have the independant guy , place the dish in a better location, point it, run the cables in, when the D* installer gets there, just have him set up the rec. and activate it.

You can have the independant contractor do his work anytime, many of them have access to the dishes already.

I set up all my own equipment, if I already have the boxes, I just call in and explain that I have the dish set up and a picture on channel 100 and ask them to activate.

Of course they question if I know what I'm doing, as only an installer can actually do this type of thing, but once I explain that I can strong signal and picture, they go ahead and activate.

Jimbo

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up having them come out to do the dish, swap the 2 HD receivers I already had and install a HDDVR.

Good news/bad news.

The installer was real cool and actually did get up on the steep roof to install the dish. Pretty good readings as well.

BUT, he only had an order to swap a HD receiver for an HDDVR. So, now I have to call up again to DTV for a third time to get them to send me my two HD receivers for the original swap. Hopefully, they will just send them, and not make another guy come out to the house.

Anyway, so far, so good, I guess.

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up having them come out to do the dish, swap the 2 HD receivers I already had and install a HDDVR.

Good news/bad news.

The installer was real cool and actually did get up on the steep roof to install the dish. Pretty good readings as well.

BUT, he only had an order to swap a HD receiver for an HDDVR. So, now I have to call up again to DTV for a third time to get them to send me my two HD receivers for the original swap. Hopefully, they will just send them, and not make another guy come out to the house.

Anyway, so far, so good, I guess.

I still would have pushed to get the dish off the roof and out in the open.

Now to my questions:

1. AVOID the DirecTV advice and installers they send like the plague! Not kidding, they are the most rude and unskilled or non technical people I have ever dealt with. They act like they know what they are doing but don't give a rip about you or your equipment or house. Same can be said for some other companies to, that is why I suggest you either do it yourself or PAY for someone with a VERY GOOD reputation to do it for you if you can't or don't know how.

2. I am an IT guy so doing an install like this, even they so called 5 LNB dish they try to claim is a pain to setup is a breeze. I could do this in my sleep but I know others may be less technical in which case I would again say save yourself a headache and PAY a PRO installer with a good reputation in your area to do it and NOT the free service offered by DirecTV.

3. The "FREE" receiver you speak of I have seen on their site and you may want to read the fine print. I believe, but not certain, this is only if you LEASE the equipment and don't buy outright. Personally I would never lease and prefer to OWN my own gear to install and do with as I please. Plus, you will save money in just a year or so VS lease.

4. Just run your wires and install your multi-switch if you are going to use one and get some 2 way walkie talkies. There are MANY mount options and you can get a good metal pole that will work with the 5 LNB dish at most hardware stores. Once the cables are run and the dish is mounted on the pole, all you need is someone inside and out to lock in and peak your signals and lock it down.

There really is no HUGE deal in doing it yourself. Some may be less technically inclined in which case go with an installer NOT from DirecTV with a SOLID reputation in your area. But I think they scare some people and if you take your time you will learn a lot and can do it with no problem in the future. Also, your install will be 5X better than anything FREE because you will either PAY someone or do it on your time and get the best install and signal you can.

I really like doing everything myself because I am much neater, get a better signal and have a much more professional install than most anything I see and think others that take the time to do it themself end up feeling and liking it better too.

Happy installing, hope things work out.

3. The "FREE" receiver you speak of I have seen on their site and you may want to read the fine print. I believe, but not certain, this is only if you LEASE the equipment and don't buy outright. Personally I would never lease and prefer to OWN my own gear to install and do with as I please. Plus, you will save money in just a year or so VS lease.
I'm curious as to how you would save money since the leased receiver fee is the exact same amount as the additional receiver fee (which is what you're charged when you own it). Not to mention the outright costs you would have to purchase the receiver.

I really like doing everything myself because I am much neater, get a better signal and have a much more professional install than most anything I see and think others that take the time to do it themself end up feeling and liking it better too.

Happy installing, hope things work out.
You're right...you do do a much better job when you do it yourself. You have the luxury of taking as much time as you want to do the install to your satisfaction. A DirecTV tech has to deal with 4-8 people like you every day, plus drive between jobs.

1. AVOID the DirecTV advice and installers they send like the plague! Not kidding, they are the most rude and unskilled or non technical people I have ever dealt with. They act like they know what they are doing but don't give a rip about you or your equipment or house. Same can be said for some other companies to, that is why I suggest you either do it yourself or PAY for someone with a VERY GOOD reputation to do it for you if you can't or don't know how.

I have had D* employees out to do a set up, they did my original 5 LNB dish, mainly because they were paying for the dish that would have cost me $ 100 otherwise.
I talked with the D* tech (subcontractor I am sure), Once he found out that I knew what I was talking about ... about 5 minutes into the conversation. I never had a problem, he was very willing to show me how they were to do the set up and I have done my own 5 lnb set ups ever since.

The guy I had was good, very proffesional and he showed me a few things and I showed him a few things that he did not know.

It worked out very well.

This is just to let you know, not ALL D tech's are like you described.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)