Another "install" frustartion thread.

gizbug

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Chicago, IL
I have my appointment from 12-4 today for DTV install.
2 calls around 3, cant get a hold of the guy. 355 he calls, says 15 minutes. About 445 he shows up. Here about 10 minutes. Looks in the backyard of my apartment complex, says too many trees in the way, no way no how. And thats about it, left. Never saw any tool to test signal at all. People all around me have satellite, both DTV and Dish.

Time to call up, issue a complaint to DTV, and maybe go dish.

Sad Sad service.

Sounds like your installer was done for the day. Seems like some of them like telling people they have no line of site if the install is going to take to long or if they dont feel like working.

DirecTV now tells me next available window for a "2nd opinion" is Nov 10th. Gotta wait another 2 weeks? Oy Vey.

Time to start researching Dish. This is just a shame.

Still, you may be happier with Dish, if you can live without the Sunday ticket. The really strong point about Dish is their great receivers. Nobody makes a DVR as good as the Dish ViP DVRs. And any programming differences tend to swing back and forth between the two companies over the years.

2 calls around 3, cant get a hold of the guy. 355 he calls, says 15 minutes. About 445 he shows up. Here about 10 minutes. Looks in the backyard of my apartment complex, says too many trees in the way, no way no how. And thats about it, left. Never saw any tool to test signal at all. People all around me have satellite, both DTV and Dish.

Sad Sad service.

Not saying that your installer did not blow you off as it does happen. But A good installer can walk up to an install and tell pretty quick if it's not going to go in. Most apartments make it pretty tough when you are only allowed to put the dish in a 5'x10' area. One very small tree can stop that install. Your next apartment over can get it, and you can't.

Personally even when I walk up and know it won't go in, I will put on a 15 min show just so the customer thinks I tried. There is really not alot you can do sometimes. Again apartments are the worst, there can be 4 dishes in a line on a row of apartments, and yours could be the one that has no shot.

Now add in the fact the Dish network is going back and inspecting these installs. They know that most apartment installs can't meet code due to LandLord restrictions, but they will still QC and fail them. SO then the installer gets back charged for the work. Basically he just did a bunch of work for nothing, or lost money for all his supplys. So now you have alot of installers that will not do an apartment install period.

Not only is our pay revoked for repeat calls and failed QCs, but in addition we are fined in the amount we had been paid! Plus we get to go back out and fix whatever was wrong, for free

A triple whammy. Believe it, or not. Doesn't matter that it was that the customer couldn't figure out the channels, or changed their mind about the location of the receiver, or hardware with an intermittent, or any other of the galaxy of reasons not our fault. Do quality work... still get slammed.

What other job does that to you?

Now do you see why mostly idiots and kids are all that's left? Do you still wonder why you don't get calls?

Another Route

DIY. If a technically-challenged, mechanically clumsy doofus like me can set up a 1K.4, anybody can. As far as the apartment challege is concerned - with Eastern and Western options, you would have to be in Sherwood Forest to be totally blocked out. Are you wearing green tights and a feather in your cap?

Sad Sad service.
Did he ask about restrictions the apartment management may have regarding placement of satellite antennas?

Not saying that your installer did not blow you off as it does happen. But A good installer can walk up to an install and tell pretty quick if it's not going to go in. Most apartments make it pretty tough when you are only allowed to put the dish in a 5'x10' area. One very small tree can stop that install. Your next apartment over can get it, and you can't.

Personally even when I walk up and know it won't go in, I will put on a 15 min show just so the customer thinks I tried. There is really not alot you can do sometimes. Again apartments are the worst, there can be 4 dishes in a line on a row of apartments, and yours could be the one that has no shot.

Now add in the fact the Dish network is going back and inspecting these installs. They know that most apartment installs can't meet code due to LandLord restrictions, but they will still QC and fail them. SO then the installer gets back charged for the work. Basically he just did a bunch of work for nothing, or lost money for all his supplys. So now you have alot of installers that will not do an apartment install period.
Good points there...Apartment installs are a mess. We have not as of yet received word to install apartments to spec. Flat cables and no ground is still ok. However onc we get word that these jbs have to meet Dish specs, the game is over. Apartment jobs will be canceled at a 90% rate.

Did he ask about restrictions the apartment management may have regarding placement of satellite antennas?

I don't ask most of the time. My first stop is at the office to get their rules. Alot of the properties in my area I already have them or know what they are, so I don't have to ask the customer.

Now add in the fact the Dish network is going back and inspecting these installs. They know that most apartment installs can't meet code due to LandLord restrictions, but they will still QC and fail them. SO then the installer gets back charged for the work. Basically he just did a bunch of work for nothing, or lost money for all his supplys. So now you have a lot of installers that will not do an apartment install period.

That is correct in that an experienced installer can often tell within seconds if there is line of sight or not, an apartment is even easier.

As far as spending extra time to tell a customer it isn't going to work, that is a waste of time IMHO. Usually it is someone you have never met and will never see again, why waste your time and give them false hope, dragging out the inevitable. I do say sorry, but then I move on with my day/life.

On Dish net inspecting apt installs. We have been doing DNSC installs for almost 10 years and have gone round and round with them about apt installs. We have MANY times asked them why Dish sells to apts when they know before they sell it that it can't be installed to code. I won't go into that (it is a long story) but we have been told by senior DNSC execs that they do not inspect apt installs. That does not mean that you can't loose money by installing them though. We try to avoid apt installs like the plague. They are "trouble/service calls" waiting to happen. Usually the dishes can only be installed on tripods which can easily be bumped out of alignment if they are on the balcony or vandalized if on ground level. Then we get "demerits" because of the customer needs a service call and we have to roll a truck for free to fix the prob.

Brad

I don't ask most of the time. My first stop is at the office to get their rules. Alot of the properties in my area I already have them or know what they are, so I don't have to ask the customer.
That's what I meant in my question to the OP. With apartment installs, I go straight to the mgment office. I speak to the mgr or the owner. Or whomever has authority over the property. This elminates all the grey "gotcha" area.
9 times out of ten the tenant doesn't like the news. But it isn't their property. If an apatment dweller wants that amount of say so, they need ot buy a house.

That is correct in that an experienced installer can often tell within seconds if there is line of sight or not, an apartment is even easier.

As far as spending extra time to tell a customer it isn't going to work, that is a waste of time IMHO. Usually it is someone you have never met and will never see again, why waste your time and give them false hope, dragging out the inevitable. I do say sorry, but then I move on with my day/life.

On Dish net inspecting apt installs. We have been doing DNSC installs for almost 10 years and have gone round and round with them about apt installs. We have MANY times asked them why Dish sells to apts when they know before they sell it that it can't be installed to code. I won't go into that (it is a long story) but we have been told by senior DNSC execs that they do not inspect apt installs. That does not mean that you can't loose money by installing them though. We try to avoid apt installs like the plague. They are "trouble/service calls" waiting to happen. Usually the dishes can only be installed on tripods which can easily be bumped out of alignment if they are on the balcony or vandalized if on ground level. Then we get "demerits" because of the customer needs a service call and we have to roll a truck for free to fix the prob.

Brad
We will do apartments. DNS as now, does not inspect them. We WILL NOT do free standing mounts of any kind. Customer pays for all materials used in any non standard mount. This is usually c- clamps on the balcony rail. With apartments that's the only type mount I will do.

Do you mean that even if the rules are invalid you use them to stop the install?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts