another local question???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

meldar_b

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
Floyd Co. Kentucky
I know on this site these local questions has been beaten in like a drum, But I am just wondering:confused:

I am not a current D* or E* subscriber yet:eek: I am moving to sat tv in march after the sun shows me if I can get anything from the 119 satellite using the info from Place satellite dish using sun or moon which shows me that the conjunction will be on 03/04/09 at around 3:25 pm. My location is Martin, KY 37.57°N, 82.72°W

This is what stopped me from getting D* a couple of years ago when the D* installer told my wife that we could not get that satellite due to the hills blocking the sat. At the time I was stuck at work and was not there to over see the install attempt. The installer showed up late at 8pm to do the install and I think he was just trying to get out of making the install since he was so late. He was scheduled to there by 4pm I would have been home then to over see the install.

Before calling and making the install I did do the line of sight measurements using a homemade inclinometer made from a straw, protractor, string and compass. Using this little tool shows that getting the sat will be a close call so I am going to double check again using the sun.

If I can't get reception of the satellite (119) due to my local terrain (hills) is it possible for to be eligible to receive the national networks instead? :D :eek:

I would rather have service from D* simply because of more HD content :hungry:
I am so over my local cable company they only have around 18 channels of HD:eek:

If I can't get D* service then yes I will be moving to E* new eastern arch HD service. :cool:

Thanks for any info

I know on this site these local questions has been beaten in like a drum, But I am just wondering:confused:

I am not a current D* or E* subscriber yet:eek: I am moving to sat tv in march after the sun shows me if I can get anything from the 119 satellite using the info from Place satellite dish using sun or moon which shows me that the conjunction will be on 03/04/09 at around 3:25 pm. My location is Martin, KY 37.57°N, 82.72°W

This is what stopped me from getting D* a couple of years ago when the D* installer told my wife that we could not get that satellite due to the hills blocking the sat. At the time I was stuck at work and was not there to over see the install attempt. The installer showed up late at 8pm to do the install and I think he was just trying to get out of making the install since he was so late. He was scheduled to there by 4pm I would have been home then to over see the install.

Before calling and making the install I did do the line of sight measurements using a homemade inclinometer made from a straw, protractor, string and compass. Using this little tool shows that getting the sat will be a close call so I am going to double check again using the sun.

If I can't get reception of the satellite (119) due to my local terrain (hills) is it possible for to be eligible to receive the national networks instead? :D :eek:

I would rather have service from D* simply because of more HD content :hungry:
I am so over my local cable company they only have around 18 channels of HD:eek:

If I can't get D* service then yes I will be moving to E* new eastern arch HD service. :cool:

Thanks for any info

Not being able to get the 119 satellite would not qualify you for the dns feeds, but you might be able to get your locals in hd, which are on either the 99 or 103 sat. What is your zip code?

I wish ;)

my zip is 41649 my locals are from Charleston WV....and I am right on the edge of my dma and I would rather have Lexington Ky.

as far as I know my locals are not lite up yet:mad:

If I can't get reception of the satellite (119) due to my local terrain (hills) is it possible for to be eligible to receive the national networks instead?

If you were to pay for an HD signal test and fail the test, you would qualify for HD DNS service. Your only over the air possibility is WYMT, CBS from Hazard, KY. The only hitch is that you'd get switched to HD LiL if/when it becomes available.

Hi meldar_b from a fellow Floyd Countian!

Your (our) locals are determined by zip code and we have to take Huntington-Charleston, like it or not. The SD versions are on the 119, and it is unusual for people around here to be able to get the 99, 101, 103 and 110, but not get the 119. In fact, a lot of people I know have switched to Direct from Dish lately, because Dish moved our locals to 129. So Dish Network is out of the question for you if you want locals.

If you were an HD customer you would automatically qualify for HD DNS, and the rumor is that Huntington-Charleston will be up in HD sometime this year from the 99 or 103. We can get HD DNS from NY even thought our locals in SD are available from DirecTV.

If you schedule an install and can't get the 119, you can either cancel it, or tell them you want the service with "No Locals" unless you really gotta have them.

Sorry it took so long for me to get back with you guys ... work gets in the way ;) and thanks for all the replays:up

more than likely I will be going with D* just because of the bundling offered by ATT its a great deal for home phone, DSL, wireless and D* service.

And if I were to go with E* I would be signing on with TurboHD on the eastern arch and E* does have my local available in HD on those birds.

For now I will set back and wait for the sun convergence on march 4 and then I will be placing an order for service.

Some other good news about locals,:eureka this might effect you paulman182

One of the guys that I work with told me that his dad has a simple rooftop antenna and was able to get all the channels from Huntington WV and WYMT from Hazard in Martin Co. near the WV boarder. I made sure and asked him if these were DTV channels and he said yes with all the sub channels too. Needless to say I will be doing some experimenting sometime this week to see if I am able to get anything. If I can get WYMT I will be happy...just for the UK games :up

Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts