Another noob installation question

cayenne

Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
I moved into a new house and currently have cable. (princeton, NJ, 08540)

I have noticed that sometime in the past someone must have had DirectTV installed as there is a pole about 200 ft away from my house, front door, near the road with a direct tv antenna on it.

We have large tree's that are fairly close to the back of the house, so I assume that they had to install it on that pole to get line of site.

I want to get Dish, with south asian programming, AEP and the HD pack connected to 3 tv's in the house.

My question is, can they install all the dishe's on this 4 ft pole for me to be able to get all the programming I need?

Also all I need is 1 HD box and the other 2 can be basic SD boxes. If I do get the installation done but due to tree's (which havn't fully bloomed yet but will soon in summer) and I loose channels etc, what kind of cancellation fee am I looking at? If I can't cancel then can I downgrade to just the top 100 package and keep that till the contract is up and go back to cable?

Someone advised me that there would be 2 cancellation/downgrade charges, 1 for AEP and 1 for the international.

Is there a trial period like 30 days that maybe I could try it out on?

I talked to a local installer and he said that I would have a seperate contract with him and could not downgrade or cancel, and that he also could not garuntee that I would get everything once all the trees get their leaves.

Ah, an installer CAN guarantee you line of sight once they have taken a look at the actually mounting location in person. It's very rare that a property of your size has NO line of sight... But it could happen.

You should be able to get a one dish solution for what your looking for, but the concern is that the dish is that far back from the house looking over it for directv service. Guessing at this but most likely the directv dish that is there is pointing at 101 probably wich sits higher than the 110, 119, and 129 slots that dish uses, direct does have some sats at two of these locations. You can have a technician come out to check if you have line of site but I would also recommend getting an inclination meter, the best that I have seen are made by suunto that allows you to site in the compas heading and the elevation, I have used these in the past to tune in dishes without having to use a signal meter and was dead on.

Dish had a 30 day trial period, Im not sure if its still running so you should check the website or call them up, when ever you sign a contract you have a three day grace period with wich to back out of it, past that there is a somewhat hefty fee for early cancellation, however if you have an issue with signal loss then you may be able to get the cancellation fee waived if you fight hard enough and have this verified by a tech and have that tech explain it to a csr.

I wouldnt go with the local retailer based solely on that seperate contract, if you read through the forums here you will find that there are a few horror stories of some hefty cancellation fee's that some of the retailers have.

With what your wanting to do you can get an hd dual tuner with a built in dvr ( model 622 ) and a stand alone unit ( model 311 ).

You can call up to dish directly and request to have one of their techs come out, be sure to explain your concerns about the local guy with the seperate contract.

heres some help according to dishes website south asian comes off 61.5 single dish which points south east you need a skew of 90 degrees an azimuth of 172 and elevation of 41 and a seperate dish 500 skew 127 azimuth 244 meaning clear to 239 to 249 buth with a 28 degree elevation you can pull your hd off 61.5

You should be able to get a one dish solution for what your looking for, but the concern is that the dish is that far back from the house looking over it for directv service. Guessing at this but most likely the directv dish that is there is pointing at 101 probably wich sits higher than the 110, 119, and 129 slots that dish uses, direct does have some sats at two of these locations. You can have a technician come out to check if you have line of site but I would also recommend getting an inclination meter, the best that I have seen are made by suunto that allows you to site in the compas heading and the elevation, I have used these in the past to tune in dishes without having to use a signal meter and was dead on.

Dish had a 30 day trial period, Im not sure if its still running so you should check the website or call them up, when ever you sign a contract you have a three day grace period with wich to back out of it, past that there is a somewhat hefty fee for early cancellation, however if you have an issue with signal loss then you may be able to get the cancellation fee waived if you fight hard enough and have this verified by a tech and have that tech explain it to a csr.

I wouldnt go with the local retailer based solely on that seperate contract, if you read through the forums here you will find that there are a few horror stories of some hefty cancellation fee's that some of the retailers have.

With what your wanting to do you can get an hd dual tuner with a built in dvr ( model 622 ) and a stand alone unit ( model 311 ).

You can call up to dish directly and request to have one of their techs come out, be sure to explain your concerns about the local guy with the seperate contract.
Call dish and order the EQ...That will generate an install date..At that point a tech will come out and evaluate your property for line(s) of sight..You'll need a Dish 500 antenna for your standard definition programming..The international programming and thr HD programming will come from a seperate dish pointed southeast.
The 30 day money back guarantee is no longer in use. Good luck.

he can put the dish 500 on the top of the pole, install 61.5 on the pole with U-Bolt.
Yes..If the LOS is there, I will do this rather than use two poles..The 5.5 foot line posts are nearly 8 bucks a piece.....U bolts are much cheaper than that ...

Thank you guys for all of your help. I'll call Dish and have someone come out for a sight survey.

how far our you from Route 130 in Monmouth junctions. cause there is Dish LSC There. just stop by or PM me i will give you the number.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)