Are Timers and Passes affected by Channel Changes ??

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
Is there any experience here with how changing your channel lineup affects Timers and Passes on the 622 ?

The system is quite a bit more complicated than the 721 or 521 system where a specific channel number is specified.

For example, I want to remove Map-Down because it is a great idea whose time has not yet come. :) Right now, the only channels that are mapped down are ones that are NOT the same as the SD channel (Discovery and Food) or else ones that I don't watch (A&E and TNT).

Since a bunch of good HD channels are not mapped down (HD-Net and Rave), I'd rather not have the duplication and have everything HD grouped together.

However, I don't want to have timers fail OR else record in SD instead.

So, I was wondering if there was some previous experience with this, thanks!

UPDATE: Since Map-Down has not been around very long, I decided to be a guinea pig and try deactivating it. I consulted the Dish PDF file posted by Scott earlier and it does warn of timer problems. So, I deactivated Map-Down and then checked my timers and Passes. It seems to just depend on whether the future timers happen to hit the mapped-down number or the 4-digit number.

For example, The Tudors ended up with no active timers, because the one NEW timer on Sunday happened to have been on 318 Map-Down. So, my fix was to switch from "HD preference" to "HD only", mainly because that would cause the Pass to be re-calculated (I realize that it also has minor advantages, because a Pass won't record an HD version if there is an existing SD version on the DVR, which shouldn't happen usually, but...).

It then did setup correctly a NEW timer for Sunday. But, when you change a parameter, it clears the list of previously recorded episodes (although it does check the DVR list - nice feature!). So, I had to manually skip a couple of upcoming repeats of old episodes - no big deal.

I think you're figuring it out but I'll add that using DishPass doesn't tie you to a specific channel, hence the added option for preference for HD, SD, or whatever. DishPass searches against ALL channels. Because of that, I don't know why map-down being on or off would make a difference except in cases where it's already found some episodes to record and has created timers.

Actually, in one case, I had tied a Pass to a specific channel that was a mapped-down channel, and the Pass and timer vanished entirely when I turned off map-down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)