Another Pansat 9200 Power Problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

handymantoo57

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
Brookville, KS
My second Pansat 9200 is having power problems. I have replaced most of the capacitors on the right side of the transformer but no success yet. It is making a ticking sound so I know something is leaking to ground. I haven't changed the large capacitor on the left side of the transformer yet, has anyone known this one to be a problem?

SMPS clicking sound? it could be?? - Think I'd replace teh big cap and 'go from there'.
Or, as I did, upgraded to a newer receiver that 'does more' especially in the audio decoding department. The SatAV microHD is the best choice today (IMHO).
My 9200 is now residing in a box in a dark corner. It also needs the caps replaced.

It may be the large capacitor, but it is typical of SMPS systems to 'tick' when working into a short circuit. It is the sound of the driver as it starts and then shuts off when it finds a heavy load on it. Then it attempts start up again and it continues repeatedly... One of the diodes between the transformer and the capacitors may be shorted, or it could be a short on the main board. Good Luck...

I've considered a short on the main board. With the PS unplugged from the main board the ticking stops and voltages read normal. Anyone want to sell a davaged 9200 cheap for parts?

Sounds like a short on the main board. It could be most any part. IF you want to proceed further, pull the plug from the power supply and use an ohmmeter to check the resistance to ground on the main board connector. If there is a direct short, you would read about 1 ohm or less to ground on one of the power supply lines. You probably have a 3 volt line, a 5 volt line, a 12 volt line and/or maybe a 24 volt line. There is a possibility of a shorted diode or capacitor on one of these lines and that would be an easy fix. The alternatives are not so good.
If you want the unit fixed, go to hxxp://www.pansatservice.com/policy.htm. I sent in a 3500 a few years ago, with a check, and they had it back to me, fixed, in less than 10 days.

I haven't found a short on the main board yet, but I'm still looking.
Could it be possible to monitor these voltage lines mentioned by Migold (3 V, 5 V, 12 V) with older, analog voltmeter, to find out, on which line the the meter hand jumps in synchro with these tickings?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts