Another perspective on HD-DVD and Microsoft

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
Another perspective but this on entirely on the effects on M$ and their interest in pushing the format war:

Lessons from the Death of HD-DVD — RoughlyDrafted Magazine

I am not sure that this article is entirely acurate but it does portray the players in a little differant light. And I do agree that in the end the company that might be hurt the most with the passing of HD-DVD might be M$ itself.

I wonder what M$ is going to do with all those HD-DVD addons they have in stock...
Selling them on ebay would be cool :)

I wonder what M$ is going to do with all those HD-DVD addons they have in stock...
Selling them on ebay would be cool :)

apparently the rumor is they will be dropping to 50 bucks each.

But MS wins no matter what remember VC-1. :D

apparently the rumor is they will be dropping to 50 bucks each.

But MS wins no matter what remember VC-1. :D

I wouldn't necessarily call them winners since their preferred format lost...but I wouldn't call them losers either since their gaming side is stronger than ever.

I wouldn't necessarily call them winners since their preferred format lost...but I wouldn't call them losers either since their gaming side is stronger than ever.

I am just saying that most HD compression is VC-1 owned by MS. Which means they are going to make a profit off of either format.

And don't count Sony out bro. I do believe that besides Gears of War 2 they will be kicking around MS this year.

May be time to buy in and become neutral. Still sitting the fence but getting closer.

I am just saying that most HD compression is VC-1 owned by MS. Which means they are going to make a profit off of either format.

And don't count Sony out bro. I do believe that besides Gears of War 2 they will be kicking around MS this year.

May be time to buy in and become neutral. Still sitting the fence but getting closer.

I see Sony pulling some good titles in 2009, and I have a feeling MGS4 will be delayed for spring 2009...
2008 is probably not going to be a special year for us...

BTW I have both systems, except the Wii that I bought and sold the following week on ebay, It was brand new sealed..

I see Sony pulling some good titles in 2009, and I have a feeling MGS4 will be delayed for spring 2009...
2008 is probably not going to be a special year for us...

BTW I have both systems, except the Wii that I bought and sold the following week on ebay, It was brand new sealed..

Have 360 and Wii. Picked up dynasty warriors 6 on 360 and Dragon quest swords on the Wii this week. Still on disk 4 of Lost Odyssey though lol.

But really starting to consider rounding out my experience with a 3rd console. LOL I am hoping for some Square soft offerings this year (with any luck).

MGS really does nothing for me. I am a RPG whore though. :up

I am just saying that most HD compression is VC-1...
I don't think this is entirely true and certainly not getting better: AVC is getting very powerful... But this is beside the point.
Microsoft hit the jackpot when they negotiated the inclusion of VC-1 in HD and BD, i.e. the hardware has to decode it even if not used at all (like MPEG-2).
Every single player carying the BD logo pays MS, PS3 included. Other license payments - software, encoding houses, per-disc fee, etc. - are rounding errors...

Diogen.

It will be interesting to see if VC-1 stays popular on BD or if there will be a shift to AVC. Without MS there to help the HD-DVD studios author HD-DVDs using VC-1 to easily port to BD, studios might start using AVC.

I personally prefer movies done in AVC then VC-1. They seem to have more definition. But then that is my preferance and others might like the softer look of VC-1. I like that it will be up to the studios to decide what to use and that there is no pressure now to use one over the other.

I personally prefer movies done in AVC then VC-1. They seem to have more definition.
I personally prefer Japanese cars. They seem to have more wheels.
But then that is my preferance and others might like the softer look of VC-1.
But then I can understand that some people like the clunky American three-wheelers...

Diogen.

It will be interesting to see if VC-1 stays popular on BD or if there will be a shift to AVC. Without MS there to help the HD-DVD studios author HD-DVDs using VC-1 to easily port to BD, studios might start using AVC.

But MS still gets paid, because the players must include the capability and pay royalties/license fees.

But MS still gets paid, because the players must include the capability and pay royalties/license fees.

VC-1 (decoders) is set up such that Microsoft gets very little if anything. More money goes to some of the other patent holders that make up the Patent pool. Microsoft was hoping to get more money from encoders

I think JoeSP and Icewolf need their own forum in which to fellate Sony. It could be called "Don't bother reading this crap cause you already know what it says".

VC-1 (decoders) is set up such that Microsoft gets very little if anything. More money goes to some of the other patent holders that make up the Patent pool.
How do you know that? The patent pool isn't even set up yet (i.e. who gets what share)?
Microsoft was hoping to get more money from encoders
Huh?
In the best case scenario - BD dies and everything is encoded in VC-1 - there would be hardly a dozen posthouses that would do the encoding.
What money could dozen licensees possibly generate?

Diogen.

How do you know that? The patent pool isn't even set up yet (i.e. who gets what share)?
Huh?
In the best case scenario - BD dies and everything is encoded in VC-1 - there would be hardly a dozen posthouses that would do the encoding.
What money could dozen licensees possibly generate?

Diogen.

Diogen, did you even read the article that started this post? My guess is that you did not because you are doing what you always do, you ignore the conversation, try to be smartmouthed and then act like you are the smartest guy in the room.

So your best case scenario is that BD dies and everything is encoded in VC-1? My guess here is that everyone that knows your posistion on this -- you are a proponet of downloadable content and my guess is your retirement is all in the VC-1 basket.

Here, a simple recap for you on the article we are discussing: the studios and CE manufacturers killed HD-DVD. Not the consumers, not the retailers but the folks who actually make the players and the folks who actually create the HDM. Can you tell us so that we might know -- which of these you actually do for a living? Because the article seems to say that most of the CE manufacturers and the studios did not want VC-1 and iHD shoved down their collective throats by M$ and that was one of the main reasons HD-DVD died. And you know, your name wasn't meantioned once?

But, as I said, you always ignore the posts and state your position which by now is known by all --HDM on disc will not make it -- the future for HDM is downloadble content. You really want us to believe that watered down HDM is what we all want? It is very nice of you to speak for all of us.:rolleyes:

I think JoeSP and Icewolf need their own forum in which to fellate Sony. It could be called "Don't bother reading this crap cause you already know what it says".

If you don't want to read this why are you posting, heck, why are you even in here?:rolleyes:

Diogen, did you even read the article that started this post?
Yes, I did. Why?
Another Blu Shill Bill - style article, so what?
...you ignore the conversation, try to be smartmouthed and then act like you are the smartest guy in the room.
Me? Smartest in the room? Nah... That's your prerogative... How about this perl:
Where will we start? Let's start at the begining shall we...
So your best case scenario is that BD dies and everything is encoded in VC-1?
Geez... Have you been to the doctor lately, Joe?
People normally - instinctively, in most cases - employ what is called "brain" before answering.
Have you ever tried something like that? It might do some good for you...

my guess is your retirement is all in the VC-1 basket.
I guess you had yours in Sony and are extremely pissed. My condolences...
But, as I said, you always ignore the posts and state your position which by now is known by all...
You have your position, I have mine...
Unlike you I don't pretend to offer facts when it's fiction...:)

And by the way, WTF had your philisophical rant to do with my post you quoted? Reading abilities failing, too?

Diogen.

EDIT: Do you Joe by any chance have drinking problems?
I noticed your "best" posts like the above tend to appear on holidays.
If you do, let me know, I'll just ignore them on those days...

Last edited:
Too bad despite all the extra bandwidth and AVC/MPEG2, there is still nothing on Blu-Ray that looks better than Hot Fuzz on HD DVD.

That article makes everything sound like HD DVD was Microsoft's doing and that HD DVD was an evil conspiracy by Microsoft to take over home entertainment. I can understand not liking Microsoft. However, implying that HD DVD was bad because Microsoft backed it is a bit petty at the least and downright dishonest at the worst. However, it is a blog. Bloggers do what bloggers do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)