Another prospective D* sub with a few questions...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cyph

Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Well, after about 9 years of E* and 2 years of Cablevision, I'm strongly considering coming around to D* and wanted to clarify a couple of things.

1) VOD

Am I correct that Direct TV Cinema uses Ethernet to download VOD selections? As a user of Netflix and Hulu, I'm acquainted with streaming solutions, but I understand D* downloads the whole file.

I've seen some complaints about taking a long time to buffer enough that viewing is not interrupted. Is that the rule, or the exception?

Mostly, I'm concerned b/c the kids love watching VOD from Cartoon Network and similar. If they watch the same episode more than once, would a buffering problem occur each time, or is it once an episode is downloaded it is saved and readily available?

2) Sports overflow

When NYC RSN's overflow, are channels available for some of these, either in SD or HD? Or are overflow games lost? Especially looking for NJ Devils info.

3) Locals

When I was a E* member, I recall needing a waiver to get HD locals if OTA was available. I don't want to go back to using an antenna, so are there still any exclusions for sat locals? The web tool shows me in the region for NYC superstations, so I should be eligible for these correct?

4) What's the likelihood of getting the latest DVR boxes (HR24, IIRC) with a new install?

5) I suppose HR34 will arrive well after current promotions end in October, but key differences with this box?

Thanks for any info :)

1.) Yes, this is true. VOD downloads over the internet.
2.) I do not know. I don't watch much sports.
3.) As long as your service address is located in the DMA that you want locals from, and you are within the spot beam, you will get locals. They are included with every package. You will get superstations included if they are available.
4.) If you order MRV, you will get new HR24/H25 and SWM. Call installer prior to install date to confirm.
5.) HR34 is a set up like a server-client. The HR is the server and mini-boxes are the clients. Since the box is not out yet, I don't know a whole lot about it. It may take 6 months or 6 years before we see it on the market. It could be like DirecTivo....just a dream.
6.) Make sure you take advantage of all the latest non-advertised promos when you sign up. PM me for more info.

2) Sports overflow

When NYC RSN's overflow, are channels available for some of these, either in SD or HD? Or are overflow games lost? Especially looking for NJ Devils info.
HD. Directv has like 9 RSN spots for NY stations.
YES
MSG
MSG+
SNY
3 or 4 overflow channels...I know Buffalo has one just for Sabrfes games
all in HD

3) Locals
When I was a E* member, I recall needing a waiver to get HD locals if OTA was available. I don't want to go back to using an antenna, so are there still any exclusions for sat locals? The web tool shows me in the region for NYC superstations, so I should be eligible for these correct?
huh? Locals are in the package..most will be in HD being NYC and all. Check the D* locals page

4) What's the likelihood of getting the latest DVR boxes (HR24, IIRC) with a new install?
If you have MRV its very good

VOD isn't immediately available, it takes time to download, but once it's there, it's fully available.

I get up to 30 MB and it still isn't true streaming.

VOD isn't immediately available, it takes time to download, but once it's there, it's fully available.

Thanks for the replies guys. So, say my kids want to watch the same 4 or 5 episodes of Adventure Time from Comedy Central VOD over a week or so. Once it's been D/L'd once, does it remain resident on the box for instant access, no re-D/L required? Do I have that right?

Thanks for the replies guys. So, say my kids want to watch the same 4 or 5 episodes of Adventure Time from Comedy Central VOD over a week or so. Once it's been D/L'd once, does it remain resident on the box for instant access, no re-D/L required? Do I have that right?

Yes
However, I THINK it has an expiration date also, others may jump in here, I don't d/l that often.

It remains on the box until you delete it or it expires.

HD. Directv has like 9 RSN spots for NY stations.
YES
MSG
MSG+
SNY
3 or 4 overflow channels...I know Buffalo has one just for Sabrfes games
all in HD
That's reassuring, thanks...
huh? Locals are in the package..most will be in HD being NYC and all. Check the D* locals page
Eh... My recollection of the satellite waivers was a little skewed, and seemingly moot after 2000. I figured this was the case, but just wanted to be sure.
If you have MRV its very good
Good to know. Thanks again.

1) Video On Demand can be accessed only with downloading from the Internet.

2) Nearly all sports nationals and regionals are in HD. Exceptions are Sportsman Channel, Outdoor Channel, and The Mountain.

3) I can't answer the question.

4) Not guaranteed. It's more … roll of the dice.

5) I'll leave you to do the research.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts