Another reason to go with external HDD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

spaulhus

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
For some unknown reason, my recently installed HR20-100 stopped interacting with "live" TV and the playing back recorded programs - it was recordong OK. After several attempts with tech support to resolve this, I was forced to do a complete reset which fixed the problem except that it also deleted ALL of my recorded programs! :mad: 25+ hours of good stuff yet to be watched. :(

I am now going with an external HDD to avoid this in the future... :up

I'm curious as to how using an external HDD would have prevented this problem. Once you connect the external HDD it gets formatted with the same software/OS as is on the internal HDD.

The software reset/download updates this operating system, which is transferred to the new HDD when it is connected. If the OS on the external HDD goes bad, you will have to do the same thing to restore that drive as usable.

hmmm...

Was assuming that by disconnecting the external HDD when having to do a complete reset, that only the internal HDD was affected. Also assumed the OS was motherboard based and that the drives held digital content and associated meta-data only - bad assumption?

Has anyone ever tried this?

hmmm...

Was assuming that by disconnecting the external HDD when having to do a complete reset, that only the internal HDD was affected. Also assumed the OS was motherboard based and that the drives held digital content and associated meta-data only - bad assumption?

You may be on to something.
No I have not tried it, but I wonder what would happen if you disconnected the EHD before doing the reset if that would make any difference ...

You may be on to something.
No I have not tried it, but I wonder what would happen if you disconnected the EHD before doing the reset if that would make any difference ...

Hopefully that is the case, but I don't think so. Given the frequency of software updates it would be easier to update it if it was HDD based and not motherboard based (Similar, if I may, to updating your computer OS and updating your BIOS).

hmmm...

Right idea and right assumption.

I was under the impression that you should only attach and detach the ext hdd when the HR20 is without power.

I've done a few resets and never lost ANY programs. I'd be willing to say that whatever error your box experienced took the recordings out and would have been unavoidable. That or your internal drive is going bad

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)