another TEGNA/DirecTV dispute happening again, TEGNA contract with DirecTV expires on Nov 30 at 8 PM ET

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Willh699

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Campbell, TX
Here we go again, another dispute between TEGNA where the contract is set to expire soon and demand a deal to be reached or blackout happens

This time, the deal ends on November 30 at 8 PM ET/7 PM CT/6 PM MT/5 PM PT.

In my area, Dallas-Fort Worth, WFAA Channel 8 is impacted by the dispute.

In fact the slate is up at channel 8-9 saying this

"We're disappointed to see TEGNA, the owner of this channel bring our customers into the middle of private negotiations. We want to keep the TEGNA stations in our lineup. We are working to avoid any unnecessary disruptions and appreciate your patience while we work this matter out with TEGNA.

Please visit tvpromise.com for more information."

WFAA's version of the TEGNA statement:
| wfaa.com

AT&T's statement on the TV Promise ls site:
/https://www.att.com/tvpromise

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

"The Crawl" is also running on Tegna's Seattle duopoly - KING/5 and KONG/6-16. Annoying. (BTW: DO NOT call DIRECTV to complain unless you call the local Tegna station and complain to them, not that it's gonig to do any good either way).

I have the "Crawl " occasionally starting today as well ....

While D* rarely had interruptions ... they typically would have the crawl, but normally would come to an agreement before losing a signal ... often times extending the time frame to work out the details ...

In more recent years, the practice of these people demanding more and more money have been to remove the station, while hurting thier viewers and then seriously negotiate ... this is with most companies of late ...

Since ATT has taken over D*, I have Little faith that they will resolve this issue without a disruption of service.

Just as soon as you loose your channels, call 'D and get an LCC. Did that last dispute with a different local and now when there is an issue, I just switch my favorites list from the sat to OTA.

So does this dispute include channels that Tegna just acquired last year or are those still on difference contracts?

Just as soon as you loose your channels, call 'D and get an LCC. Did that last dispute with a different local and now when there is an issue, I just switch my favorites list from the sat to OTA.
That doesn't work for us folks with HS17's since the big brains at AT&T decided that the LCC doesn't work with that STB.

• Sad
Reactions: Jimbo
I'm not a Direct TV subscriber but how many stations does this impact? We've got our own problems coming up with Dish and Nexstar! :mad:

Here in Buffalo, CBS and CW are Nexstar and NBC is Tegna :)

Due to the lack of RSNs and Buffalo being one of the biggest US hockey markets, almost no one around here has Dish anymore so very few people will be missing anything from them. DirecTV has a sizable subscriber base here so the lack of NBC will be an issue for some. I've been boycotting the National Felon's League for four years now and have no plans to watch those SOBs ever again, but for those that still watch it, could be pretty interesting if both Dish and DirecTV pull these stations and they are both off the air by the time the Stupid Bowl come around. Not sure who's turn it is to carry it, but if it's NBC or CBS this year that might be an issue locally. Especially if fuhrer shuts down more bars and restaurants and people can't go out to watch it.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Here in Buffalo, CBS and CW are Nexstar and NBC is Tegna :)

Due to the lack of RSNs and Buffalo being one of the biggest US hockey markets, almost no one around here has Dish anymore so very few people will be missing anything from them. DirecTV has a sizable subscriber base here so the lack of NBC will be an issue for some. I've been boycotting the National Felon's League for four years now and have no plans to watch those SOBs ever again, but for those that still watch it, could be pretty interesting if both Dish and DirecTV pull these stations and they are both off the air by the time the Stupid Bowl come around. Not sure who's turn it is to carry it, but if it's NBC or CBS this year that might be an issue locally. Especially if fuhrer shuts down more bars and restaurants and people can't go out to watch it.
Super Bowl is on CBS this year. I've got Dish and Nexstar is blacking out stations and my CBS and CW stations are affected.:mad:

Here we go again, another dispute between TEGNA where the contract is set to expire soon and demand a deal to be reached or blackout happens

This time, the deal ends on November 30 at 8 PM ET/7 PM CT/6 PM MT/5 PM PT.

In my area, Dallas-Fort Worth, WFAA Channel 8 is impacted by the dispute.

In fact the slate is up at channel 8-9 saying this

"We're disappointed to see TEGNA, the owner of this channel bring our customers into the middle of private negotiations. We want to keep the TEGNA stations in our lineup. We are working to avoid any unnecessary disruptions and appreciate your patience while we work this matter out with TEGNA.

Please visit tvpromise.com for more information."

WFAA's version of the TEGNA statement:
| wfaa.com

AT&T's statement on the TV Promise ls site:
/https://www.att.com/tvpromise

Yes, a friend called me that has Direct to ask, and I told him it looks like you may lose Tegna KGW NBC (Portland). I have Dish and they are about to lose Nexstar KOIN CBS & KKCW CW, both Portland. I am glad I have an antenna up. These a huge losses for both Direct & Dish.

good news, bad news for the TEGNA dispute

good news: a short term deal was reached to keep the channels on past the deadline of 8 PM ET Monday night and the crawls disappeared from the TEGNA owned stations for a while.

bad news: said short term agreement moved the deadline back one day and its now at 7 PM ET on Tuesday night, so therefore the channels are still in danger of a period of "in between contracts" blackouts which is a common side effect of disputes.

so for now, they seem to be still negotiating with each other, but if a impasse happens, say goodbye to the TEGNA stations for a while on DirecTV/U-verse.

good news, bad news for the TEGNA dispute

good news: a short term deal was reached to keep the channels on past the deadline of 8 PM ET Monday night and the crawls disappeared from the TEGNA owned stations for a while.

bad news: said short term agreement moved the deadline back one day and its now at 7 PM ET on Tuesday night, so therefore the channels are still in danger of a period of "in between contracts" blackouts which is a common side effect of disputes.

so for now, they seem to be still negotiating with each other, but if a impasse happens, say goodbye to the TEGNA stations for a while on DirecTV/U-verse.

An extension is Always a good thing ...
If they were not progressing, they would not have offered an extension.

update, AT&T has pulled the plug and the TEGNA channels are gone now for the time being as the contract expired at 7 PM ET/5 PM PT and WFAA went bye bye at 6:36 PM CT and replaced with the dispute slate. guess I'll have to get my midday news (on demand) from KXAS NBC 5, KTVT CBS 11/CBSN DFW, or KDFW Fox 4 (via DVR Recordings) or watch WFAA's news at midday on the NewsOn app on my roku and watch Jimmy Kimmel Live through Locast, antenna or thought clips on YouTube or ABC app (which I'm not sure if access via your account credentials will work since it's not a Disney O&O ABC station in the Dallas market).

• Angry
Reactions: Howard Simmons
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)