Antenna and Installation Advice

Dew

Original poster
May 9, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Hello All -
This is my first post here. I am interested in setting up an antenna to pull in OTA HD channels and was hoping to get some advice.

Goal: I'd like to pull in HD signals from the major networks (NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, and PBS)

Location: Here is my TV Fool report. All of these channels look to be less than 30 miles away and coming from the same direction albeit "edge" and not LOS.

Limitations: I can't mount on my roof and frankly I'm not up for trying even if I could. I have a deck off the second story of my house I could mount something small under or I could mount something in the attic above the third story - plenty of room up there. If there is a simple indoor product that would achieve my goals that would be great too. I tried a simple rabbit ear setup with an RCA ANT301 and only got 1 really spotty channel. I think the existing coax in the walls can be accessed through the attic.

Ability: This is all completely new to me, but if I can find the right instruction I'm up for it.

Here is a link to my TV Fool report -
TV Fool

I guess I'd mainly like to know what all I would need to buy and where I should go for instruction on installation and what installation approach would make the most sense.

Thanks for the help!

Dew

welcome :wave

Looks like your locals are all in the same direction (141-146 degrees) which is good. You are kinda in the same boat as me here in Minneapolis
-my antenna is mounted on the deck
-I am 28 miles from the Mpls towers (you're 25/26)
-You have one channel on VHF still (PBS 8). The rest are on UHF (I have 2 stations on VHF and 9 on UHF)

I personally use this one from Radio Shack going to 4 items
-my HDTV
-2 DTV converter boxes
-DTVPal DVR (DVR for OTA)
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3740646

works great. at or near 100% on all full powered channels. I have 2 low powered religious ones that show as 80%

Thanks for the reply! I'd like to hopefully send the signal to 3 TVs, one of those using a series 3 Tivo. I should probably mention too that I'd like to get everything I need for less than $200.

Hopefully someone can else chime in but that antenna should work fine. I have mine mounted 10 feet up on a tripod...adding the deck its about 18 feet off the ground. I had replaced a broken antenna so I already had the mast and the tripod

What worries me is your location. The chart says you have 2 edge reception. To me that means you have no clear line of sight, in other words the transmitting tower can not see your receiving antenna. In fact the signal has to be "bent twice" to reach your location. I'm located about 30 miles from from a signal that also has a 2 edge path. Depending upon the weather generally determines whether I receive the signal or not. My antenna is a 4 element bowtie with an amplifier attached to it.

That HBU33 looks like a good fit. Given the size, it looks like an attic install is going to be my only option though. HOA/Neighbors would be an issue with a visible deck mounted antenna for me. I was tempted to give the Terk HDTVo a try and mount in under the boards of my deck where it wouldn't be seen, but it doesn't look like that would do the trick.

So, here is what I'm planning on buying/doing:

Buy:
- HBU33
- 5 ft mast
- mounting bracket to attach mast to rafter in attic
- splitter with two inputs to take in CATV signal and OTA signal and output to 3 devices
- diplexer to separate the CATV signal from the OTA signal just before going into my Tivo.

Does that sound like the right approach? I know the attic install is going to cut into the signal. Do you think the HBU33 will still be beafy enough? I found the lines in my attic that take the incoming CATV signal and split it three ways, so i'd like to just use those and not run more cable (doubt I'm up for that). If all goes well I'll drop CATV (Comcast) anyway, but I figured I'd like the option to use both if I decide to. Will the other TVs need a diplexer to separate the incoming combined signal or can I simply switch between the two (CATV/ANT) through the TV?

Thanks for the help and advice.

Dew

Mounting inside the atic will greatly reduce your signal strength. If you could run a mast up the side of the house and pin it to the eve to place the antenna a couple of feet above the roof would greatly help. (this may not be an option as you discribed) Before making a permanent mount, try placing the antenna in various locations as it can make a big difference. If this gets you some channels but low signal strength, you may need a pre-amplifer. Also, try it first with no splitters direct to only one tv. If splitting reduces the signal too much, a distribution amplifier may also be needed. just remember, moving the antenna a couple of feet or turning a couple of degrees can make a big difference in signal strength.