Antenna help needed!

izthebye

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 16, 2007
I have an antenna set up for T5, but a while ago, the Miracle Channel moved to AMC-4. I use an old Star Choice (36" elliptical) dish/LNBF which works adequately. After looking at the specs and finding out that the dish was set up for 4 deg separation, I figured out the Star Choice switching and should be able to get AMC-4. Well......I managed to lock onto the Miracle channel for about a day with a very weak signal. After that, I was lucky to get any AMC-4 transponders.

I have acquired an offset fiberglass dish which measures 48" x 52" (approximately) I am not sure if the LNBF arms are the correct length or not.

My question(s):1- Will the mini-LNBF's that Glorystar shows on its website combined with the 4 deg offset dual bracket work with the offset dish I have work for T5 and AMC-4?

2:-Where can I find a formula to calculate the focal point and lengths of the arms? There is a bump at the approximate center of the antenna which I assume is the focal point. There is no brand name on the unit but it is commercial quality with a very strong, galvanized bracket.

Hope someone can help!

DSR-920
10' Paraclipse BUD
Viewsat Lite
Small dish garden....

I have an antenna set up for T5, but a while ago, the Miracle Channel moved to AMC-4. I use an old Star Choice (36" elliptical) dish/LNBF which works adequately. After looking at the specs and finding out that the dish was set up for 4 deg separation, I figured out the Star Choice switching and should be able to get AMC-4. Well......I managed to lock onto the Miracle channel for about a day with a very weak signal. After that, I was lucky to get any AMC-4 transponders.

I have acquired an offset fiberglass dish which measures 48" x 52" (approximately) I am not sure if the LNBF arms are the correct length or not.

My question(s):1- Will the mini-LNBF's that Glorystar shows on its website combined with the 4 deg offset dual bracket work with the offset dish I have work for T5 and AMC-4?

2:-Where can I find a formula to calculate the focal point and lengths of the arms? There is a bump at the approximate center of the antenna which I assume is the focal point. There is no brand name on the unit but it is commercial quality with a very strong, galvanized bracket.

Hope someone can help!

DSR-920
10' Paraclipse BUD
Viewsat Lite
Small dish garden....

I don't think the dish will work, the big offset dish you has is for internet purpose and the focal distant is far more then the regular KU LNBF required.

I don't think the dish will work, the big offset dish you has is for internet purpose and the focal distant is far more then the regular KU LNBF required.

Interesting! I was told by the guy who sold it to me that it was suitable for FTA. I take it that this optimized for a different frequency band?

On giving this further thought......as long as the LNBF is at the focal point, what does the actual distance matter? I cannot see it being a problem. I use a Ku band LNBF on my 10' BUD and it sticks out about 3 feet from the focal point.

Just a thought.....

the dish will work fine for KU Band FTA. Hell in Alaska they use 6 foot offset dishes for Dish Network....now to the questions

1. no. The bracket is designed for a 36" dish and I think a 30". Since you are using a bigger dish the LNB's are farther apart. You would have to fabriacate something.
2. Have no idea but if there are arms on the dish then where the arms come together

the dish will work fine for KU Band FTA. Hell in Alaska they use 6 foot offset dishes for Dish Network....now to the questions

1. no. The bracket is designed for a 36" dish and I think a 30". Since you are using a bigger dish the LNB's are farther apart. You would have to fabriacate something.
2. Have no idea but if there are arms on the dish then where the arms come together

I notice that my 10 footer is pretty finicky when aiming it on Ku sat. The price of a couple of db gain!

The dish did come with arms that ended in a kind of rinky-dink bracket. I'll try and post a picture of the whole thing. Maybe someone will recognize it and then I can look up the specs.

Well, on Saturday, I managed to get T5 on the offset dish after fiddling with the LNBF bracket. It was not pointed quite correctly, and a little strategic bending fixed it. Anyway, T5 is coming in gangbusters, with both increased signal and quality! We have a nice snowstorm on right now, so I'll be curious to see if we lose it as often.

AMC-4 is another story. Try as I might, I could only get a little flick on the quality meter on any of the transponders. I guess maybe I should invest in a real LNBF........

Well, on Saturday, I managed to get T5 on the offset dish after fiddling with the LNBF bracket. It was not pointed quite correctly, and a little strategic bending fixed it. Anyway, T5 is coming in gangbusters, with both increased signal and quality! We have a nice snowstorm on right now, so I'll be curious to see if we lose it as often.

AMC-4 is another story. Try as I might, I could only get a little flick on the quality meter on any of the transponders. I guess maybe I should invest in a real LNBF........
Congratulations on getting some life out of the setup - now if you can find the right compromise for AMC4.:rolleyes:
Bob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)