Antenna help/suggestions So. NH

smikolaj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Southern NH
Hi. I am running into a problem trying to get channel 59 which is WMUR-DT. Their regular analog broadcast is on channel 9 which comes in clear as day seeing as I am only 15 miles from their broadcast location - I looked up on the fcc database and it appears that 59 is broadcast from the same location. One thing is that boston channels are in the opposite direction of 9/59 so I am trying to get around the problem of using a rotor by doing the following...

I have a PR-7010 towards boston and I get everything fine. I have a VHF ya-6713 ( channels 7 - 13 ) pointing towards channel 9 and that gets me 9 just fine. I added a channel master 4221 going into a join tenna coupler that allows channel 59 to pass though and aim it the same direction as the ya-6713 and am only able to get 20% signal strength at best. I also moved this antenna to the top of my mast which is at the highest point of my house. My setup also includes the ya-6713 and the 4221 going into the jointenna, from there I am going into a channel master 0538 combiner to combine the output of the join tenna with the 7010 pointing towards boston. From there I go to a pre-amp and then inside. Not being an RF engineer I am not sure if this setup is good or bad.

I know that 59 is high UHF and I need a way better line of sight than I do with channel 9, but I figured if it is close enough I should be pulling in better than 20%? Should I try to not run the join tenna output through the pre-amp? Is that what the dc-pass is for on the 0538 coupler - to let the power go through that for the pre-amp?

Anyone else around the Manchester, NH area running into this. If I can't pick it up this way I am not sure if a rotor setup would buy me anything.

Am I putting too much throught and effort into this?

Funny what I will go through to try to get that one extra channel...

Thanks for reading,
Steve

Hi. I am running into a problem trying to get channel 59 which is WMUR-DT. Their regular analog broadcast is on channel 9 which comes in clear as day seeing as I am only 15 miles from their broadcast location - I looked up on the fcc database and it appears that 59 is broadcast from the same location. One thing is that boston channels are in the opposite direction of 9/59 so I am trying to get around the problem of using a rotor by doing the following...

I have a PR-7010 towards boston and I get everything fine. I have a VHF ya-6713 ( channels 7 - 13 ) pointing towards channel 9 and that gets me 9 just fine. I added a channel master 4221 going into a join tenna coupler that allows channel 59 to pass though and aim it the same direction as the ya-6713 and am only able to get 20% signal strength at best. I also moved this antenna to the top of my mast which is at the highest point of my house. My setup also includes the ya-6713 and the 4221 going into the jointenna, from there I am going into a channel master 0538 combiner to combine the output of the join tenna with the 7010 pointing towards boston. From there I go to a pre-amp and then inside. Not being an RF engineer I am not sure if this setup is good or bad.

I know that 59 is high UHF and I need a way better line of sight than I do with channel 9, but I figured if it is close enough I should be pulling in better than 20%? Should I try to not run the join tenna output through the pre-amp? Is that what the dc-pass is for on the 0538 coupler - to let the power go through that for the pre-amp?

Anyone else around the Manchester, NH area running into this. If I can't pick it up this way I am not sure if a rotor setup would buy me anything.

Am I putting too much throught and effort into this?

Funny what I will go through to try to get that one extra channel...

Thanks for reading,
Steve

Your setup sounds well engineered.

The first thing that I would do is run the feedline directly from the 4221 that is aimed at 59 and run it directly to the TV set. If that works perfectly, there's a problem with the combiner setup. If it doesn't, a larger antenna for 59 or a preamp on the 59 coax before the Jointenna will be needed. Once that is working properly, you can put the combiner system back together.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)