Antenna Help

tarkov

Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
Hi, I'm new to the website and I'm needing help on finding a suitable OTA antenna. I have the Dish 811 receiver and live between 4-7 miles from my local towers. However, I've tried a couple of antennas, but am having difficulty getting good digital signals from the networks (ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC). Considering I'm so close to the towers, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Antenna

My guess is the antennas you tried may have had too much gain. Did you try an indoor antenna?

Yes, the three that I've tried thusfar have been indoor antennas, both amplified and non-amplified.

Antenna

Do you have a lot of tall trees or tall buildings between you and the towers?
You should go to Antennaweb.org and punch in your address. It will tell you which stations are broadcasting in HD in your area, and what strength antenna you need. It will also tell you the compass direction of the towers in degrees.

No, there are no tall buildings or trees between me and the towers. I have gone to antennaweb already. That's how I found out how far I am from the towers. Because I live so close to the towers, I've thusfar tried using 'cheaper' antennas:

1. Antenna that Dish Network installer gave me (looks like antenna for UHF remote)
2. JVC (non-amplified)
3. RCA (amplified ANT1250)

Am I simply choosing the wrong antennas or do I really need to shell out a lot of money to get my channels. All of the above perform about the same. They all get some channels, but must be constantly moved and tweaked in order to get the other channels. Doing this also loses some of the channels, so I can't all channels at once. According to antennaweb, my towers are in the same direction.

If you are that close a good pair of bunny ears should work unless there is something crazy in the way.

HD off air antennas

Probable the best indoor antenna is a Zenith part# ZENZHDTV1 and for outdoor ZENGEMDTV1 around $40.00 the indoor around $20.00 I tried the outdoor in place of my huge 8' channel master uhf and it almost preformed as well, much to my supprise. I am about 30 miles from the stations.

Okay, let me try out the indoor Zenith to see if it works. Nothing crazy should be in the way since I live in Indianapolis (very flat). Thanks for everyone's help!

You gave us the distances from antennaweb, but what about the azimuths and the antenna color codes for the channels you want.

It sounds like you have towers in various directions from you. If that is the case, no one single antenna, never moved, is probably going to do what you want done.

The antenna color codes will tell whether or not there is some difficultly w/ receiving a given transmission at your house. At that distance, they should all be YELLOW. If they are not, something else is afoot here.

The towers are pretty much in the same direction. According to antennaweb, they range from 41-52 degrees. Also, the website states that the recommended antenna type is yellow.

OK, a non-amplified Silver Sensor, pointed at 46/47 degrees magnetic should do it. If not, consider an Antennas Direct DB-2, non-amplified, pointing in the same direction. You will have to create your own mast and stand for it, but it is reputed to be the best indoor antenna available.

ESPNU is now on

skyangel on 129

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts