Antenna Mods?

elder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Has anyone made any modifications to simplify pointing? When channels disappear such as GBN and Vision Heaven I never know if it is my problem or theirs. Re-pointing the dish can be a bear, especially elevation so I postpone any tweaking as long as possible. Hopefully when the EPG becomes operational it will say "off-air" when the channel is down (as Sky Angel's EPG did). I made a modification, but when I was ready to try it the missing channels were back so I'll not try it today.

My modification was to place a carriage screw in the unused holes on the elevation bracket. I used nuts as spacers to center one end of a turnbuckle on the screw. The other end of the turnbuckle is connected to a bracket clamped to the post. In principle it looks like it might work. I just wondered if anyone else had tried anything for finr tweaking?

Wow this sounds really cool. I've never tried any mods (it never occured to me that it was possible). I had wondered if more expensive dishes may have some fine tuning ability.

Now I've got to study your mod until I understand it...

Channelmaster dishes had that fine tune bolt. My Starchoice & Primestar dishes have them. One handed elevation changing...kicks major butt :)
put a 1/2" socket on the top and turn to raise & lower the dish

My modification was to place a carriage screw in the unused holes on the elevation bracket. I used nuts as spacers to center one end of a turnbuckle on the screw. The other end of the turnbuckle is connected to a bracket clamped to the post. In principle it looks like it might work. I just wondered if anyone else had tried anything for finr tweaking?
Interesting! Would you mind posting a pic?

Here is what I was talking about.

First is a Starchoice dish
2nd is a Primestar dish

Attachments

• 000_0640.jpg
    000_0640.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 265
  • 000_0641.jpg
    000_0641.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 258
  • 000_0643.jpg
    000_0643.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 264
Here is what I was talking about.

First is a Starchoice dish
2nd is a Primestar dish
Ice,

Thanks. I've seen the P* version before and the Starchoice looks familiar. I'm trying to envision how elder did his mod. Perhaps something like the Starchoice photo?

Back to the drawing board! The mod works but the angle of the turnbuckle is too near vertical. If the elevation is not securely locked any attempt to raise elevation jacks the post clamp and the whole works up the post. I am thinking for the next phase to use a bracket that mounts to the post clamp instead of the post. Maybe pulling across the top of the clamp rather than having the turnbuckle in compression as now.

Attachments

• 100_0320 (Small).jpg
    100_0320 (Small).jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 284
  • 100_0321 (Small).jpg
    100_0321 (Small).jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)