Antenna question

kozmo104

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Flint Michigan area
I was wondering if anyone has tired the leaf antenna? It was recommended by my brother to try on my tv in the basement. I have a tower antenna but it needs a new rotor and the tower plus the antenna it self is old a rusty. I was looking to another option. Wanted to get the opinion of everyone. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

I was wondering if anyone has tired the leaf antenna? It was recommended by my brother to try on my tv in the basement. I have a tower antenna but it needs a new rotor and the tower plus the antenna it self is old a rusty. I was looking to another option. Wanted to get the opinion of everyone. Thanks

What does your TVFool report look like?

Reactions: comfortably_numb

Like Voyager6 said, if you run a TvFool report, we can see how far the broadcast towers are from your location and then let you know if a Leaf would work in your application (or not)

Leaf has had some favorable reports if you aren't too far from the broadcast towers. Very little will work well in basements unless you are close to broadcast towers, something called EARTH tends to block radio waves from penetrating the basement. You might be able to mount an antenna at roof level then run a cable into the basement and get some reception.

If you needed a tower and a rotator with a conventional antenna before, it is very unlikely that a flat antenna will suffice. Placing an antenna below grade is a losing proposition as boba notes.

Also keep in mind that within a few short years or so there's going to be some major changes in the frequencies used in broadcast television (The Repack to fit everything in <=36 channels). Most flat antennas don't perform all that well in the VHF range that may get busy in the not-too-distant future.

There are flat antennas with better performance results than the Leaf but if your tvfool report isn't pretty rosy, indoor fractal antennas are off the table anyway.

The Leaf works pretty good for its size, but only for UHF channels. It doesn't work well for the stations that transmit on VHF. Local channels that are 5 to 10 miles away should come in without any hassels, but it can also work for channels that are within 30 to 35 miles but it must be located high above ground. You'll need an extension coax. You'll also find that you have to find the right spot for it, and that spot varies from channel to channel, as with most indoor antennas. If you want to watch without a lot of hassels, or watch any distant channels, you'll need to replace the antenna on the tower and get a new rotor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)