antenna solution

elocs

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 9, 2004
La Crosse, WI
I have been vooming since last spring with few problems.
I had my antenna upgraded to a SquareShooter and can get PBS, CBS, and ABC. Fox does not broadcast hd here yet and the SquareShooter cannot pick up the NBC station which is almost 50 miles away in the opposite direction of the stations I receive. So I am currently paying cable $13 a month to get Fox and NBC which is a bummer because I watch a lot of NBC and they are hd. The SquareShooter is facing west and is positioned like a basketball backboard.
The NBC station is to the NE and when Fox goes hd here I should get it because it will be right by the PBS and ABC stations. Do I have any recourse here to get NBC, which is receivable in my city? Could I get another antenna upgrade, or add a second antenna? The Installs guy was good and prompt, but he did seem out of his element when it came to ota antennas. I would dearly love to get rid of cable.

I have been vooming since last spring with few problems.
I had my antenna upgraded to a SquareShooter and can get PBS, CBS, and ABC. Fox does not broadcast hd here yet and the SquareShooter cannot pick up the NBC station which is almost 50 miles away in the opposite direction of the stations I receive. So I am currently paying cable $13 a month to get Fox and NBC which is a bummer because I watch a lot of NBC and they are hd. The SquareShooter is facing west and is positioned like a basketball backboard.
The NBC station is to the NE and when Fox goes hd here I should get it because it will be right by the PBS and ABC stations. Do I have any recourse here to get NBC, which is receivable in my city? Could I get another antenna upgrade, or add a second antenna? The Installs guy was good and prompt, but he did seem out of his element when it came to ota antennas. I would dearly love to get rid of cable.

You can experiment with different antennas. RS has some hughe antennas that you may add as a secondary antenna with range of 65 miles or more. Again since your stations are in different directions you may have to add a rotor. Before investing in a rotor, I would try to get other antennas to see if you can pick up the NBC. Also, find out if NBC is transmitting at full power. This may be another reason why you are not picking this up.

Before you go out and buy an antenna or rotor, if you feel confident in doing the work your self, turn the antenna to NBC and see if you can pick it up. Then you will know if you will need a bigger antenna to get it or not. That will affect your decission on getting a rotor or new antenna or both.

When the SquareShooter was installed, the Installs guy tried to get the NBC station, but failed. The SquareShooter did pick up all of the other stations available including the CBS station which is north of the others and which the first antenna Voom provided did not pick up. The NBC station is on my Voom program guide and according to the station it is available in my city's downtown which is 2 miles further away from the tower than my location. Does it make any diffence in how the SquareShooter is situated? It is now facing the west, but would having it face skyward make it more omnidirectional?

I doubt changing the elevation of the antenna will help. It sounds like either you are to far away from the NBC feed or there are obstructions in the path. You might want to look at antenna's that do well with reflected signals and make sure its an amplified antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts