Antennas Direct Clearstream C2/C4 opinions?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kittyhas1000legs

That's a lot of claws!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Western Slope, CO
I had been looking to upgrade from my home-made antenna (eight bow-tie UHF) and happened upon this one at BJ's Wholesale:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017O3UHI/?tag=satell01-20

I figured I'd pick it up, even though it looked rather small and designed more for "modern" looks than performance. So far, I've been very happy with it. Now I can finally consistently get channels 40.1 (UHF 40) and 57.1 (22) out of Springfield (hooray PBS Create!) and it sometimes gets 59.1 (39) out of New Haven. For its small size, it has really surprised me (or maybe my homemade antenna wasn't really that great.) The one I made is around 36"x36", versus about 10"x18" for the C2.

Now, since BJ's has a 30-day return policy, should I pony up a few more bucks for the C4 in the hopes of consistently getting 59 and possibly more, or should I be happy with what I have now? Here's my tvfool:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=1dda9d83cc0a91

I looked into the HBU22, 33, etc, and I like the prices, but I'll be moving in June and might not have a balcony to fit one (and the cats would tear it down in a matter of minutes if it were indoors.)

I had been looking to upgrade from my home-made antenna (eight bow-tie UHF) and happened upon this one at BJ's Wholesale:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017O3UHI/?tag=satell01-20

I figured I'd pick it up, even though it looked rather small and designed more for "modern" looks than performance. So far, I've been very happy with it. Now I can finally consistently get channels 40.1 (UHF 40) and 57.1 (22) out of Springfield (hooray PBS Create!) and it sometimes gets 59.1 (39) out of New Haven. For its small size, it has really surprised me (or maybe my homemade antenna wasn't really that great.) The one I made is around 36"x36", versus about 10"x18" for the C2.

Now, since BJ's has a 30-day return policy, should I pony up a few more bucks for the C4 in the hopes of consistently getting 59 and possibly more, or should I be happy with what I have now? Here's my tvfool:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=1dda9d83cc0a91

I looked into the HBU22, 33, etc, and I like the prices, but I'll be moving in June and might not have a balcony to fit one (and the cats would tear it down in a matter of minutes if it were indoors.)
You are right that design is more advertising hype than functional. That price is excessive for what you are getting two bay bow ties start at about $15 just shop around. I would suggest solid signal. In your TV FOOL you have 2 VHF broadcasters are they important to you? If so you really need to reconsider the HBU as it receives the VHF frequencies.

Eagle aspen pro-brand DTV2BUHF is offered by Solid Signal for $14.99.

Last edited:
I've gone a few years without the two VHF channels, so I don't really mind not getting them. I just wonder if I could simply tweak my homemade antenna if a two-bay is really that inexpensive. I made sure to space everything evenly, and measured the cables from the two bays to be exactly the same. Maybe the distance from the reflector or the size of the mesh is at issue? (I'd post a pic if I were home right now)

All the same, I'd hate to get a HBU33 only to have it not fit in my next apartment. At least I still have 4 weeks to return the C2 if need be.

Here's the antenna I was using before the C2. Is there some terrible flaw in mine to make the C2 work so much better?

309377_799435049016_1632482605_n.jpg

Four bow ties times two, with equal lengths RG-6 going to a combiner. Seven-inch elements since I'm not concerned about channels 10 or 11 (ABC 8.1 and NBC 22.1). The reflector is around 3-4" from the bow ties.

Last edited:
Here's the antenna I was using before the C2. Is there some terrible flaw in mine to make the C2 work so much better?

View attachment 85950

Four bow ties times two, with equal lengths RG-6 going to a combiner. Seven-inch elements since I'm not concerned about channels 10 or 11 (ABC 8.1 and NBC 22.1). The reflector is around 3-4" from the bow ties.
Mass production optomizes reception, home construction rarely works as well as optomized mass production. You were quite happy with your home design/construction untill you compared it to a manufactured product. Eagle Aspen Pro-Brand DTV2BUHF was used in this area by Directv as their TV antenna, I looked at it as a cheap 2 bay they used to quiet customers where they couldn't sell Dallas stations. We were in the wrong DMA. I tried it and was shocked at how well it worked for the price. No it wasn't great for ch 8 ABC out of Dallas but at 60 miles it works well on UHF.

View attachment 85950

Flaws:

Using wood to mount the elements
Mesh reflector is not a consistent distance from elements
Using two baluns kills a dB or two of gain
The picture makes it look like the length of one balun is shorter on left side. If so then some loss there.
Connector for RG-6 is touching antenna on right side.

I don't see a point to building an 8 bay unless you are a perfectionist. Its too easy to wipe out the 2.5 dB or so in gain over the 4 bay. I built a 4 bay for my parents based on the Mclapp design and it gets VHF at 25 miles and UHF at 50 miles in an attic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)