AntennaTV, Will We Ever See It On Satellite?

PrinceLH

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Belleville
My closest affiliate of AntennaTV, is 122 miles away, in Buffalo, NY. I see that the new NBC oldies station (COSY?), has a new barker channel on 103w Ku band. We also have MeTV and THIS TV, on SES1, C Band. Then there's the unstable RTV and the Luken mess, all over the dial. But AntennaTV eludes us Dish patrons. Neither of the mini dish companies offer any of these services, nationally. The big dish is also devoid of AntennaTV. What do you think is the future of AntennaTV, who is owned by Tribune. I'd like to see an open feed show up, in the not to distant future. They have allot of the old stuff that used to be on TV Land, before they forgot what their mandate was. Just as well, since anything associated with VIACOM, has a stench to it.

Doesn't look like they will ever be in the clear. Since they scrambled right from launch, they apparently have no intentions of broadcasting in the clear to FTA viewers. Probably just not a big enough market for them. Still, with This, Me, Rtv, and now Cozi, there's plenty to watch.

If it were available on cable and satellite there would be no market forit on the local channels. Ther are lareadyseveral cable stations that showa lotofolder TV. I doubt anyone will try to doitboth ways.

If it comes up in contract negotiations with a local, satellite could pick it up. But, I suspect it would only be in a few markets, not a national carry.

Still surprised that it hasn't shown up in a MUX of some kind. Would be great if it ended up in the Puerto Rico Mux or one of the other MUX's out there.

If it comes up in contract negotiations with a local, satellite could pick it up. But, I suspect it would only be in a few markets, not a national carry.
Their agreements with the local stations that carry it probably prohibit a national carry, as that would jeopardized local ad revenue on the affiliates that carry it, and completely prevent carriage of the local sub-station.

That's all well and good, if they covered more of the U.S. I think that they only have three affiliates, in New York State, NY City, Albany and Buffalo. Pretty hard to get a signal that's 200 miles or more away. At least MeTV has resisted the thought of scrambling their signal. Same for RTV, but their oldies channel is a shell of what it used to be.

That's all well and good, if they covered more of the U.S. I think that they only have three affiliates, in New York State, NY City, Albany and Buffalo. Pretty hard to get a signal that's 200 miles or more away. At least MeTV has resisted the thought of scrambling their signal. Same for RTV, but their oldies channel is a shell of what it used to be.

There's two stations broadcasting AntennaTv in lower Michigan, and I'm 100 miles + away from either of them. It sucks that I can't get either, and putting up an antenna won't work in this case either. I'd really like to get this channel, and it's just crazy that they bothered to scramble it on satellite.

I get it OTA here in Los Angeles. (25 easy miles) ;)
Had my DVR record a few series. Quality is moderate, and SD.
Watching one now.
Not sure it's worth worrying about (unless you've looked at their programming and really want a lot of their shows).
Think it might just be: The Grass Is Greener, syndrome. :)
But as stated above, it'll never be on FTA satellite.

Our local NBC affiliate added it to their .2 subschannel. It is an improvement from the 4:3 copy of the .1 feed, but the last Winter Olympics they killed the sub channels and devoted the full 18 Mbps to the HD feed. Now that it's AntennaTV they left it on, reducing the HD quality of the Olympics. *sigh*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts