Antique Speakers

Pi314

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
WI
I am hooking up a stereo receiver in an old barn that has been used as a “party shed” in years past. It has not been used for several years and cleaning it up is a major task in itself.

The owner would like to use the old antique Acoustic Research speakers that are in there (see pics). These speakers were manufactured sometime in the late 1950’s to early 60’s. Sound quality is not a priority; just need some low level background music for small gatherings.

I connected them to a radio receiver and they do appear to work, however I am not exactly clear on which speaker terminal is should be “red positive” and “black negative” from the output of the receiver.

According to the label instruction #3, it indicates that 1 and 2 would be the main terminals to use and T would be for tweeter. I am guessing red to 1 and black to 2? Does it make difference?

I would like to remove the fabric covering as well to inspect the condition of the speakers, but that looks difficult as there is no way to pop off the front covers like modern day speakers.

Google has come up with a smattering of results, but nothing definitive. Anyone have any experience with these?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    511.5 KB · Views: 234
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    586.4 KB · Views: 206
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    279.5 KB · Views: 209
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    277.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 219
I have some old speakers that are similar. I agree on positive to 1 and T and negative to 2.
The grilles are either stapled to the backboard, or held on with a friction fit. The way I got them off was by using a machinists scribe with a 90 degree bend. Thread it through the grille cloth and behind the board around the edge of the grille. Pull gently but firmly.

Something like this for the scribe
Amazon product ASIN B00R4ZHPUC

As long as both are hooked up the same, it won't matter. Hook up red to one on both the left and right channels. black to two. The tweeter is fed by the jumper strap connected to two. The user can disable the tweeter by removing the jumper. If red and black are hooked up different on each channel, the speakers will work, but will
sound terrible. If they sound crummy, try reversing the connection on one channel only.

Thanks for the replies, got everything cleaned up and working. I will remove the fabric another day to inspect.

Like Lfp302 said is right, as long as they're both hooked up the same so the speakers are in phase with each other.

In phase means that both speaker cones are moving in and out together. If they aren't hooked up the same and in phase with each other, then one cone is in while the other is out [out of phase] or vice versa, and it will sound bad.

If you don't really care about the fabric,just go around the edge with a utility knife and peel it off.It wouldn't be that hard to make new grills,or if they'll be up out of reach just leave em nekkid. :biggrin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts